the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
CPT Jack, KelsoRat and I hit the Mud Pots near Red Mountain this past Sunday to get Jack out for his first ride in nearly 16 months. The Mud Pots are on the western side of Trona Road sorta south of the sand hills, but north of Red Mountain. A really cool spot with all different kinds of dirt.

We arrived around 9:30 AM and suited up. Kelso and Jack both had new boots to show off - Gaerne SG 10's for Jack and Sidi Force for Kelso. I felt like I was at a fashion show the way these guys were modeling their shiny new boots. But I shouldn't talk, since I myself received several good natured jabs aimed squarely at my new blue-verging-on-purple MSR bargain closeout 2003 System X gear. Yeah it's a bit flash, but it was cheap.

Kelso had brainstormed the day's ride - tour the Mud Pots, check out the 4 Aces hare & hound, and then ride into Red Mountain for some grub. We did all three, plus spent some quality time in the sand hills. Since Jack's ride, his Gas Gas XC250, was still in military storage, he was stuck primarily riding my 99 Husky WR 125.

We put in 65 miles which was absolutely amazing. Jack rode like he had never left - never complained, tackled every obstacle - well, except just one downhill, which he bypassed, and kept the pace all day on the 13/48 geared 125 with probably about 25 horsepower. Good ride bud.

The Mud Pots were great fun, as were the sand hills. We also got to spectate portions of the hare & hound, which was pretty cool.

Lunch was a vanilla shake and tri tip at the Miner's Inn, which we rode up to. Pretty neat. We hit Graziano's on the way home for their great meatball sandwiches.

A great day ... welcome back Captain

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
the Eel said:
Yeah it's a bit flash, but it was cheap.

I like your style.

Sounds like fun. I didnt get your info in time for me to go, just as well, the bike needed some maintenance.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
the Eel said:
Jack rode like he had never left - never complained, tackled every obstacle - well, except just one downhill, which he bypassed, and kept the pace all day on the 13/48 geared 125 with probably about 25 horsepower. Good ride bud.

Lunch was a vanilla shake and tri tip at the Miner's Inn, which we rode up to. Pretty neat. We hit Graziano's on the way home for their great meatball sandwiches.

A great day ... welcome back Captain

Yes, welcome back Jack! Was that a warm up ride for enduro this weekend? And will you be on your well-suited purpose-built GG?

Is the Silver Dollar Saloon still in business (off of 395)? It was shuttered last I saw it.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I have no idea about the Silver Dollar ... but there were a few choices for eating where we stopped. Pretty cool spot. I could be wrong, but I don't think Jack is coming out to the Sweet Heart this weekend.

Chris - you might feel differently when you actually have to see the gear. ( :

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Good to see you back Captain Jack.

Top Bottom