The snow is falling, what to do with the bike?

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
Here in Utah we have snow falling. I have put fuel stabilizer in my tanks in the past and been fine, but I would like to know what you guys think the best winterizing habits would be? I have had my bikes in a climate controlled garage in the past and now the garage gets as cold as it does outside if not colder. I started them up after about 3 weeks of sitting in cold and both started with the idle bouncing giving the engine a whop whop whop idle for over ten minuets.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I plan on tearing mine down this winter and doing the big work.. Top End, powder coating and so on... But hopefully winter won't be here until about February.

Jun 28, 2006
keefbikes said:
Here in Utah we have snow falling. I have put fuel stabilizer in my tanks in the past and been fine, but I would like to know what you guys think the best winterizing habits would be? I have had my bikes in a climate controlled garage in the past and now the garage gets as cold as it does outside if not colder. I started them up after about 3 weeks of sitting in cold and both started with the idle bouncing giving the engine a whop whop whop idle for over ten minuets.

With the cold temps you could have some moisture. Spraying down the bike's engine,frame, with wd-40 or something equal. Lubing the cables, lubing the chain, clean air filter and box. If the bike was going to sit longer than 3 weeks with out running it you might think about fogging oil for the engine. Spray silicone works great for all the rubber and plastic parts. I would drain the fuel from the tank and the carb if it's going to be a few months before you ride but fog down the engine first.

Jun 28, 2006
keefbikes said:
Humor me, How do I fog the engine? And do I have to do anything in the spring to ride it again? :ride:

I fog my engines through the carb. You can pull back the air box boot and while the engine is idling you can spray the fogging oil just under the slide and let the engine pull it in with the air and fuel. Once the engine starts to choke on the fogging oil you can turn the engine off, remove the spark plug and spray some more oil into the cylinder then use the kicker starter to move the oil around in the cylinder. When you get ready to start and ride the bike let it idle for a few minutes get up to temp and the oil should have already been purged out of the engine. May want to install new just just in case. Spraying it through the carb helps get the fogging oil through out the entire engine, crank,crank bearings,wrist pin bearing rings lands etc. The fogging oil is more like a lube that will keep the engine parts from rusting, so issue spraying through the carb it's not sticky like filter oil. Fogging oil can be pored into the fuel tank and then run let the bike runs for a few mintue or longer until it starts to choke and smoke on the fogging oil. Drain the tank.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yeah getting to be that time of the year again.... mid 60's-80's with a little breeze :)

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Rotorranch said:
Yes indeed...go riding! Nothing like riding in the snow. :)

And you don't need studs for snow, just for ice! :nod:

Rotor

Rotor -

The studs aren't just for the ice, it's the frozen earth beneath the snow. I shot down a 10' drop once, and the ground was frozen, landed a little front heavy and the bike shot out from under me, sending me into a tree ... the bruise was from my knee cap to my hip bone :yikes:

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
Rooster said:
Rotor -

The studs aren't just for the ice, it's the frozen earth beneath the snow. I shot down a 10' drop once, and the ground was frozen, landed a little front heavy and the bike shot out from under me, sending me into a tree ... the bruise was from my knee cap to my hip bone :yikes:

Frozen earth = ice ;)

Never really thought about it that way.

Back when I lived in the cold country, we used sheet metal screws for playing on frozen lakes. But the screws tended to remove themselves on the trails. :whoa:

Rotor

Top Bottom