the tube stcking out the frame on a '97 kdx220?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I've been told by more than one person (that should know) that it's intended to be used as a handle. Works 1/2 well at that....for hiking the bike up on a stand, bucket..whatever you use to prop the thing up for maintenance (if you don't own a REAL stand!..like I don't)

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
I've also wondered about that tube. I assumed it was there because it was used on the dual sport SR model in Japan. Of course you know what they say when you assume...

KID KDX

May 15, 2001
Does anyone think there would be a problem with sawing it off? I dont pick it up by it or anything, it just sits there looking dangerous! Any weight savings is good:p

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by KID KDX
Does anyone think there would be a problem with sawing it off? B]
That little tube was designed by highly educated, highly paid engineers that know what they are doing. Under no circumstances would I recomend sawing it off without doing an extensive structural analysis first to determine exactly what the effect on the integrity of the structure as a whole would be.:p

Well, it sounded good...LOL:confused:

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
It will not hurt a thing by removing it.

Are you serious about saving weight? This piece cant weigh more than 6 ounces! If you are that concerned about weight ... GO ON A DIET :p

KID KDX

May 15, 2001
LOL!

No, I was not serious about saving weight!!!!:scream: And If I went on a diet, there wouldnt be anything left of me, I only weigh 120lbs:p

Desert Rider

Jul 16, 2001
:think I was thinking that mabee it was to keep your boot from ketching the side pannel or something?!?! thanks, at leat I'm not the only one that is clueless :)

eldrm

~SPONSOR~
Nov 3, 2000
i figured it must be for one of those triangular shaped bike stands you see at the dealers,probably just put there to see if we're payin attention:silly:

TnKDX'er

May 13, 2001
Ive been told that this a protective device used to keep intrusions(rocks, sticks, whatever)from hitting the exhaust pipe if you were to drop your bike on the ground.....I guess they figure if you collapse your exhaust pipe, you wont make it outta the wood?! :)

I think i use mine for a handle just like everybody else though......

Top Bottom