The USA Womens ISDE Team is picked!

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
The USA ladies ISDE Team is picked. Mandi Mastin, Heidi Landon and Lissa Arsenault will be representing the United States at this years 78th running of the International Six Day Enduro being held in Fortaleza, Brazil. Suzy Moody will be the Womens Team manager this year.

*---Mandi Mastin is a very expierenced off-road racer (and MXer, too) with multiple ISDE's already under her belt. She is currently competing in the GNCC and FMF National Enduro Series on a KTM 200. Mandi hails from Ohio.
*---Heidi Landon is also a very expierenced competitor too. She has been competing in the GNCC Series for the past few years as a Team Green rider on a KX125. Originally from New England, she now resides down south in Georgia.
*---Me, I'm a South 'Jersey hill-billy that likes dirtbikes and trees.
*---Suzy Moody has been competing for years and is a very knowledgeable racer. Her expierence and support will be very valuable to the team. Suzy, Mandi and Nicole Bradford made up the first ever US Womans Team in '01.

As of right now, the ladies are scrambling to get all the details squared away. Here's hoping everything goes smooth!

KDXgirl

May 10, 2003
Congratulations on your selection! I was at the 98 ISDE here in Australia and it was awesome!

Heidi Langdon - Is that the freestyler? or is that someone different

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
Thanks KDXgirl! Thanks bbbom! I didn't know that, bbbom. I know Kathy Cambell was qualified years ago to go but got injured just prior to the ISDE. I never heard of any other ladies besides her ever going or trying to go until '01. I've heard of Carol Williams before, does she ride trials bikes or something?

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Way to go Lissa!!! We will be rooting for you back in the States! This is really something to be proud of!

MudnRocks

Apr 15, 2003
Congratulations Mandy, Heidi and Lissa!! How very exciting. We'll be watching and rooting for you.

yep, Lori, Carol and Lisa were the first womens team, for some reason I was thinking it was a little later in the 90's more like 97, maybe I'm just haveing one of those senior moments; lol, and Carol qualified again this year.

You gals are all such an inspiration, go kick it, and have fun doing it.

Kimberly

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
I'm not sure of the year, you'd think I could remember but I had a couple beers at the LPO Campout where I met Lori T. (zero_it) & Lisa G. (noseat).

I'm not sure about Carol & trials, I've never had the opportunity to meet her. I know Lisa is into trials over here, she showed up at the LPO Ride with her trials bike and rode the whole 49 mile loop, about 44 of that with no rear brakes!

Say hi to John Seehorn if you see him over there, he's on the team again this year from what I hear. He's a local boy & a 2nd cousin or something. You'd think with all the talent in my family some of it would have rubbed off on me! :think: :yeehaw:

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Lisa, and Carol did Tulsa in 92. Then Carol, Lisa and Lori all did Poland (I think the next year) Poland was like WAY hard and TONS of mud and rain. All had problems, bike mostly just like the majority of the men. I have met all three and they are awesome. The cool thing about them is they have FUN together. Heck me and Andrea got Lisa in trouble at the Washington National but she just laughed it off with us. She flies on a trials bike through the trails but like me she has some work to learn how to ride a trials bike slow. That is hard.

Good luck to the 3 of you in Brazil. Been there, done that! However I have to admit the Scottish Six Day Trial was much harder. (Time to get the butt calllus's ready. -don't know if I spell that word right. he he)

Whoooo Hooooo!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about Suzy.

Nicole

Noseat

Jun 23, 2003
CONGRATULATIONS on making the ISDE team! Remember to pace yourselves.

Ok ladies, let me see if I can straighten you all out on when and who the first women were to represent the USA in an ISDE, not that it matters, it's an honor no matter when you ride it. In 1994 Tulsa, Oklahoma - Carol Williams, Jason Raines, and Lisa Gibson went as a club team "Bremerton Cruisers". Carol and Lisa finished with a Bronze Medal, Jason I believe with a silver. In 1995 Poland - Lori Taylor, Carol Williams, and Lisa Gibson made up the first all womens team. The times in Poland were very fast and it was like riding on snot! Carol went into the ISDE with a bum knee, she went out on day 2. Lori was riding good and doing well untill her steahly made lighting coil decided to destroy her whole ignition system, she went out on day 3. As for me, my bike ran awesome, I can't blame anybody but myself for not being able to keep up the fast speeds in the slim. I went out on day 4 at around 80 miles. Hope this cleared up some confusion.

Just to update you - Carol is racing motocross and doing very well, Lori is riding a few enduros and still having fun destroying male egos out on the trail. Both ladies are still lightning fast! As for me, I'm trying to get the trials thing down, as Nicole says it's hard to learn how to go slow when you've gone fast for so many years, but I will learn!!!

Nicole, thanks again for spending time with me at the Gold Bar National and giving me a few pointers on trials riding. How have you been doing at the rest of Trials Nationals?

Always remember if your not having fun riding your riding for the wrong reasons!!

Lisa

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Congrats to Lissa and all women who made the team. :thumb:

Noseat~

Does Carol still work at Tacoma Motorsports? Is she racing at Pacific Raceway?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Congrats, Lissa and the rest of the girls! That is awesome.

I've had the honor of riding with (at least being on the same trail on the same day) as Lori Taylor and Lisa Gibson and wow, I'm amazed. You guys are awesome. There were definitely a few crushed male egos . . . but that's ok, it's good for them! Lori and Lisa, as well as the gals I haven't met in person, you're an inspiration (I rode MUCH better the following weekend up there again at LPO, by the way).

Noseat

Jun 23, 2003
dirt~d, I'm pretty sure Carol is still working at Tacoma Motorsports, don't know if she's racing a Pacific Raceway. I haven't been in close contact with her since we moved to Idaho a couple years ago. I only know she's racing motocross and doing very well. Carol is an awesome rider!

Firecracker22, I think you were trying to hard the weekend Lori and I were at Little Pend Oreille. Glad to here you had a better ride the next weekend. Remember, when your out riding with a large group try and concentrate on the trail and riding your KTM nothing else, not other riders or where your at in the pack of bikes. You know how to ride you just have to learn how to bond with your bike as one, and to relaxe a little don't fight it. More practice and you and your bike fly effortlessly through the woods. I hope this makes at least a little sense to you. The most important lesson I've learned in my 32 years of riding is when out riding I have to think only about riding if I start to day dream or think about the person infront or behind me I will crash everytime. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

bbbom, I'd say some of the talent in your family did rub off on you - your riding aren't you? You just need more time on a lighter weight, smaller cc motocycle. Your neck, arms and hands would appreciate it very much. Are you and firecracker up for a ride at Batey Bold on August 2nd? That is if it not shut down due to fire hazard.

Lisa

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
You're right, I do get a little self conscious around people I haven't ridden with much. I had good times and bad times that day. But the following weekend I felt great on the bike--I did stuff that kicked my butt last year. But when I'm with a bigger group, I get intimidated, and worry that the people behind me hate my guts for holding them up. I know they probably don't but I still feel bad that they are stuck behind me.

Bbbom should join the KTM crew--she seemed to like my bike!

Batey Bould would be fun, provided it's not too hot. I went for a mountain bike ride today (102 by the thermometer in my truck) and got my first bout with heat exhaustion. I felt like I couldn't catch my breath, my chest was all weak and fluttery, and by the time I got home I felt sick. Not gonna do that again.

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
Originally posted by KDXgirl

Heidi Langdon - Is that the freestyler? or is that someone different
Heidi Landon was Netra'a Women's Hare Scramble and Enduro Chamionpion for years. She started Competeing in the Mens class in enduro for the competition and is the only Women in Netra's history to make "B" rider. We miss her up here.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Congrats Lissa, and all the other ladies!  We're very proud of you.  Now start practicing those tire changes! ;)

Lissa-  missed you at our enduro last weekend.  Would have been more good rock practice for ya!

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Heck with this heat, my latest ride is blue - my old jetski.

August 2 at Batey Bould sounds good if it's open Lisa. I'll give you a call, Karl & I were thinking we might come up & visit you guys at Priest Thursday evening on the roadbikes.

We are heading to Newman Lake this evening so I'll call ya tomorrow.

Only problem I found with going orange was all that standing up. That's the beauty of the beast, you can just have a seat and hang on for the ride. :thumb:

Noseat

Jun 23, 2003
bbbom- Hope to see ya Thursday night. Lori and I will probably stay till around 9:00pm.
Hey, I sat down plenty on my orange bike and it went anywhere I had the guts to go. You need to think of a better reason than that to ride that big dady CR 500 in the woods!
Talk at ya tomorrow evening.

Lisa

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
Hey Bbbom - don't get too lazy on that big bore! Jump down to the mere mortal sized bikes, I think you'll like it. That would be cool to see you & Karl at Priest Lake Thursday. We'll be at Elkins, check your e-mail for directions.

FC22 - Glad to hear you had a better ride after the Spodefest at LPO. My brief piece of advice for you is to work on your upper body strength. Looked to me like the bike tended to go where it wanted, rather that where you put it. 40 HP is a lot of power to harness and make go where you want it to go!

I got a couple days of great riding in at Taneum last weekend. Too bad you guys couldn't make it. There was a fire there Friday night and the USFS closed the road for the weekend, so there weren't too many bikes around. (I got in 2 hours before the smoke & flames show started!).

Congrats to all who made the Six Days team. It's a great honor to ride for your country. Take it seriously, train hard, ride to your full potential, push for the finish every day, suck positive vibes from the cheering spectators, DO NOT focus on what the competition is doing, keep a positive attitude, be nice to all the pit support and keep smiling! Best of luck to you.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by zero_it

FC22 - Glad to hear you had a better ride after the Spodefest at LPO. My brief piece of advice for you is to work on your upper body strength. Looked to me like the bike tended to go where it wanted, rather that where you put it. 40 HP is a lot of power to harness and make go where you want it to go!

That's very true, and I have gotten away from going to the gym due to a lack of time, money and motivation. I wish I had a workout partner, that really helps. A friend might start taking me with him to work out at a local university's weight room so if he comes through on that, that would be nice.

40 hp? Really? I thought they were like 35 or something. Cool. :cool:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Congrats ladies and good luck in Brazil!!!

Please make a post if there are fund raising events for the effort.  I bought some raffle tickets, but did not win any prizes from the June drawing.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Lissa & co, congratulations. Good to hear your hard work is paying off.

New Zealand has one rider going & he's going as a privateer. So I've got 4 riders to follow results of & send best wishes to ;) Maybe one day we'll send a team of women, but it's not looking likely for a number of years.

Let us know if we can do anything, we will be there in spirit :)

KDXgirl

May 10, 2003
Hey Michelle,

That should be your next adventure!!!! You could go down in history books as the 1st female NZ entrant!!

hmm I wonder when Australia will get it back

Top Bottom