Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
This is another attempt at me posting this. It's not a cry for sympathy or anything else, it's just me sharing my weekend with friends (I'd rather this were deleted rather than moved if it's felt inappropriate here).

Saturday morning we went into the forest to figure distances for a national enduro our club is hosting next weekend. We geared up & headed out. At one point, we came into a clearing where I thought someone might be waiting for me, but no one to be seen, so I headed into the next trail, thinking they'd be waiting for me at the end. After a few minutes of this trail (it felt like forever), I decided that once I met up with the guys, i'd tell them to carry on as I was riding like crap & we'd never get done what was needed.

Coming around a corner near the end of the trail, I saw everyone milling around & thought what a wierd place to wait for me, we're almost at the point I thought they'd be waiting. I pulled up & noticed a rider down. I looked blankly trying to figure who was missing & decided it was the youngest in the group. Just as I thought this, the rider in front of me told me it was Henk (my husband). I laid the bike down (turning the gas off) & walked over, asking if he was conscious (there'd been no sound from the downed rider), to which Henk responded, yeah, I'm okay, I'm winded.

I then had a tree pointed out to me (he's taken out a nice piece of bark with his footpeg) - oops. After a while he managed to stand up (with help) and we decided to ride out back to the cars, pick one up & bring Henk back. He walked out (with help), commented I'd taken the wrong line through a puddle (yeah, I know, I almost dropped the bike twice, my brain wasn't functioning). Not long after we'd loaded Henk & my bike into the van, Henk was brought back.

He sat around & then decided lying down was easier, so was assisted to the ground. He also told us he couldn't face leaving the forest in a car, so we had to call an ambulance. Eventually one turned up, we loaded him into it (okay, the ambo staff did - thanks guys/gals) & off to hospital him & I went.

After a few hours waiting around, Henk was bitching at me that he was bored & wanted to go home. I refused to take him until he'd been checked out. A while after this, x-rays were taken & the doctor (almost laughingly) told me he'd broken his back. I didn't believe her & expected Henk to walk out & say he had been soft & it was just soft tissue damage. He was wheeled out & I guess he knew I'd been told as the dr, him & I just carried on whatever conversation they'd been having.

He's got 1 vertebrae 50% cracked & the other has a bone chip or something off it. It's a static break. He came home Sunday afternoon & was expecting to go back to work coming Monday.

Sunday afternoon, we got a phone call from a friend saying he was following another friend home as the other friend had hurt himself & couldn't walk. Turns out he's broken his leg. He was more of a concern as he lives alone & had a quadruple bypass earlier this year. When the friend (who'd followed him home) made sure he was okay, he'd also organised his wife to take him to the hospital if need be. The old friend is stubborn & didn't want the wife to take him, so she went past his place on Monday to find no one home. She phoned us panicked to see if we'd heard from him & I spent the day figuring out where he was. (worrying more like). Turns out he was in hospital & he had surgery yesterday to pin his leg.

I've decided Henk & him are linked, as when Henk broke his hand, this guy had phoned us to say he was in hospital (awaiting the bypass surgery). I don't want to name names, so this may be a bit confusing.

Times like this show who your friends are & to any Kiwis who knew & phoned, thanks guys, it meant a lot.

Oh, the coolest thing to come out of the weekend was the fact I could unload the bikes on my own. I'll be using the TTR until Henk's healed just because it's easier to load by myself.

I know the dangers, they've been hit home hard this week, but I know I'll forget once I'm on my bike & will torment Henk mercilessly until he's able to ride again ;)

If this sounds callous, the hardest time (for me) has passed & I'm fine about things now. I've had a hard time for the first few days, but dirtbikes are definitely in my blood & I can't imagine life without them or the people :)

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Holy cow, Michelle-- that was a heck of a week!! :ohmy:

I'm glad to hear that Henk (and his partner in crime) will be okay. Has Henk been able to get back to work? Sometimes we don't feel too bad the day an injury happens, but then over the next day or so things start to really swell and stiffen up, and we feel worse than when it happened.

That was great that you were able to unload the bikes by yourself. I know when Dave tore his ACL several years ago, he ended up sitting in the trailer with ice on his knee (he thought he'd just tweaked it). He went to go stand on it, and it just buckled. I then packed him into the truck, and had to load both of our bikes by myself. It was a good thing we had the trailer! Sometimes it just takes an incident like this to force us to try to do those things which we normally wouldn't do.

Injuries do seem to make us stop and evaluate our sport...but then once the physical healing has begun the mental healing needs to start!

Take care of yourself, and Henk.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Best wishes to Henk, Michelle. I've done the same and it doesn't bother me much - might need a few more trips to the chiro than normal but he should be fine in a few weeks.

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
Thanks for the good wishes. Back is starting to get better. The worst part of it is wombling around at home all day when I'd rather be at work.
Can't lend you the 400 next week Wayne. It's still a bit bent and the carb slide out of the 360 is still out on loan. Would the tm suit you?

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
No worries Henk - I'll bring the Beta up with me. I don't think I will get used to a 1/4 turn throttle again very easily - that 400 scared the living daylights out of me!! I definitely can't handle 8 horse power let alone 48 horse power! I will bring my Paris-Dakar long range fuel tin with me as well (2 litre coke bottle), just in case you want me as far away as possible.

I did go down to Christchurch over Queens Birthday and went trail riding on an XR250 for a day. Even that seemed to have too much power for me - the rear wheel kept spinning for some reason ;)
Remove the seat and let all the air out of the back tyre and it wouldn't be a bad bike though............

Just relax - go into holiday mode for a while. You could even watch some of Michelle's trials videos if you are having problems sleeping, or I have a Unix manual which I could lend you. I've only ever managed to read until the about the second paragraph before falling asleep. :o

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I've got to take Henk to a back clinic on Wednesday, where hopefully we'll find out more (like that it's healing okay). At the moment he realises he won't be back on a bike for ages (he's thinking September) and with the drugs the pain's okay.

I had to laugh yesterday, I came back to check he was okay & found both him & a friend's dog lying on the mattress in the back of the van. The dog was very content (she didn't leave him much room, so he thought it was better when she wasn't in there with him).

The wierdest thing I've found is I was more relaxed when out riding. I don't ride with him, he puts no pressure on me, but I was just more relaxed. The only thing I can think of is that I'm worried (subconsciously) that he'll get pissed with me for a) being stuck b) falling off in dumb places or c) I have no idea why, but there should be a c option.

I had to go back early a couple of times to check on him (and wondered why I bothered as he was fine). I have to admit to freaking out on the track he damaged himself last week, as I came around a corner to find someone on the ground & the bikes parked up. I then had visions of everything & it wasn't a fun feeling. It was just bike problems (the choke was out a bit & the bike had been bogging), but the initial shock definitely hit. I guess it was worse as it was the same track (just earlier into it) and I hadn't been expecting to see anyone - they were up ahead arrowing, I was following to paint stumps and left ages after them.

Anyway, I'm still riding (my attempt at riding) and having fun, but do feel a bit guilty about Henk not being out there. Once I get the camera out the van tonight, I'll have to post a photo of the root he landed on, it's damned impressive & someone has her foot by it to give a perspective (Henk thinks I'm a morbid bitch for wanting to take photos hehehe).

Wayne, thanks for the offer of the book. Henk forgot to take his up the forest yesterday - C++ programming bible or some such bull**** ;) (insomnia won't be a problem I'd guess lol). See ya next weekend & we'll bring the beers

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Here's a pic of the tree root Henk landed on. The foot is an adult female's (not mine).
the tree was hit by the bike's peg, not Henk. The stump he originally hit doesn't show too clearly, but hopefully it gives some indication of distance travelled.
We're off to the back clinic soon, so hopefully have more of an idea how it's going (I decided to get the flu just to make things even more fun lol).

Attachments

• root.jpg
    root.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 70
  • tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 66
  • stump.jpg
    stump.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 69

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Yes, get well you two! Geesh, do we have to send a nanny over there to keep an eye on you?!

That looks like a pretty nasty root. And that tree doesn't look like it got away clean, either! :ohmy:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
The verdict is his back should be fine in 6 weeks (healed). He shouldn't get back on the dirtbikes till about 6 weeks after that (but it depends on how he feels, it may be earlier or later). The fracture is stable and no brace required (or surgery). The vertebrae is 50% compressed.
The doctor that saw him yesterday thought he was walking well for a man with a broken back ;)
For something that could've been a major, we've gotten off lightly.
I guess the one thing to learn from this is to pay attention to what you're doing, not thinking about what you've got to do. If you start going into lala land, stop & get back to reality. (I must remember this one lol).
Thanks for all the well wishes, and bbbom, no way is he adding that to his repertoire, he didn't clean it ;) I personally think it was the dumbass move and think he can have it all to himself hehehe

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Wow, that's great news Michelle-- no surgery, and no braces! The 50% compression on the vertebrae is worrisome-- will it be giving him problems in a few years?

Keep an eye on him Michelle, and don't let him on a bike until the Dr. says it's ok! Don't want any repeat performances.

Thanks for the update-- glad it's good news. :)

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
I agree with the doctor - he was walking around pretty well for a bloke with a broken back. He did look pretty tired by the end of the day though. I'm glad that he has taken it seriously, and is looking after himself.

Thanks very much for the weekend anyway - another well run event by the Waitemata club. Its a pity that the weather packed in at the end of the day. I also had a go at terrain test 2, it surprised me how big the whoops had gotten (swallowed my bike!!). I managed three dabs and a time triple what the slowest rider had got (which is about par for me!). Good fun though. I won't be up to Auckland again for a couple of months, but will give you a call if I can bring my bike with me.

Thanks Michelle and Henk

ChaCha

Apr 20, 2004
Phew, glad to hear that Henk will be OK. I'm sure it was a nerve racking experience for both of you. He must be going nuts being on the sidelines while you're out riding, but I'm sure you're having a blast.

I'll bet NZ has some beautiful trails. That is one place I definitely need to visit one day.

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
Wayne
Next time you come up I should be pretty well fixed. I recon you should leave your bike at home and use one of ours and I'll take you a bit further afield. You get the choice betwen the KDX, The 400, the tm or the CRM. I think we'll leave the 360 out of the equation.
Be even better if it's riverhead season, we can go and roll in the mud together.
Thanks for your help on the weekend. I wasn't functioning all that well on Sunday and all the help made it a well run event instead of the chaos it could have been.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Wayne, thank you for your help :) You are so going to have to come ride with us instead of us putting you to work. End of next month we're going to have a ride in Riverhead but otherwise we're stuck in Woodhill for another few months (Riverhead season kicks off in November). If you can't bring your bike up, you're more than welcome to use one of ours - the TLM & Fantic are also available. Did Chris Birch ask you for a ride on your bike? He was eyeing it up when we left ;)
Henk finally went back to work on Thursday which was mainly due to me passing on my germs rather than his back.

ChaCha, I can't help thinking what if it'd been that much worse & am eternally grateful it worked out okay. Henk is a bit paranoid about me riding by myself these days, which I understand, but sometimes it's just easier. Then again, he sent me out by myself to do something & it wasn't until later that he started stressing. It's something we'll work out but it'll just take some time. I think the worst thing was having to tell his parents - they hate us riding anyway. It all seems surreal still and has made a huge impact on us, not something I'd wish on anyone. If you look in the general forum, at around the same time, a young girl has a lot harder time of it than we've had and whenever things get a bit tough, it's time to think either how much worse it could've been or of those who are going through a tougher time. My thoughts go out to Amber and her mum :(

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
No Chris Birch didn't have a go on my bike, but could've if he wanted to. I did give a young girl a bit of a turn to see if she wanted to ride trials - she did seem to enjoy puttering around.

We had a tough event yesterday, so I'm a bit knackered this morning. Not too many bruises but a fair number of stupid crashes. One day I'm going to get it all together for a whole event, and not get so many stupid 5's. I was riding pretty well (for me!) for most of the event, but ended up making the usual stupid mistakes and missing markers, and looping out a couple of times. I also broke my brand new front mudguard - bugger!

I will be getting a new bike probably in October - an '04 Beta 250 which belongs to my little brother. Its got a fair bit more grunt (relatively speaking) than my little 200, so the local Beta importer will need to buy mudguards in larger quantities :ohmy: The main thing is that its got much better front suspension - so I'm really looking forwards to downhill off camber turns for once.

TwistNShout

Nov 19, 2003
It's bad enough when you see a downed rider, but when you pull up to see that it is a family member.....well, no words can describe that horrible feeling! :ugg:

Glad to hear that Henk is now on the mend. Best wishes to him for a full and speedy recovery.

Top Bottom