super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
RC says

April 3, 2004

An Open Letter To The Fans From Ricky Carmichael

What a day Friday was! My phone was ready to explode with calls from everyone. Let me begin by reminding everyone that I am a motorcycle racer...not a public speaker or professional press release author.

If there is one thing that I have learned in my career it is how important motocross fans are to me. I have made some mistakes with the fans in the past. I regret ever wearing that crazy cape and crown at the US Open a few years ago, and I regret not being able to tell everyone about the Honda deal when I signed with them in 2001until it was too late.

I have promised myself that I will do my best to keep you guys up to speed on what is happening in my career, hopefully you have noticed my efforts this past season.

Let's get right to it. Yes, I have signed an agreement to race with Team Suzuki beginning with the 2005 SX season. I am looking forward to working with Roger DeCoster and will do my best to help put Suzuki back on top. I'm not sure which bike I will be racing but I know that I will have the option to test both the 2-stroke and the 4-stroke. I know Suzuki has a quality bike and is very committed to winning.

This past Thursday I got back on a motorcycle for the first time in months and it feels great. I am already focused on the outdoor season and winning another title riding a Honda. Please understand that my undivided attention will be with Honda until my contract is up. When I begin with Suzuki I will show them the same respect.

Honda hired me to win races and championships. Fortunately, I have been able to deliver 4 Championships to them as well as the only perfect season to date in 2002. I want to make sure that everyone understands that I have a really good relationship with Team Honda. The race team has done everything possible to put me on the best equipment available. My original intention was to finish my career at Honda. The bottom line is that Honda chose not exercise its right to keep me for the remainder of my career.

Moving forward...I will do my absolute best to win another championship this summer. I know Honda is committed to winning, and I am sure they will continue to give me 100% of their support to meet this goal. I have made some life long friends at Team Honda and will always have great respect for them.

I know there are a lot of questions out there about who my mechanic will be in the future, etc. Please bear with me as my team works out all of the details over the next few months. I will do my best to keep everyone up to speed as things progress...please understand that my focus is on racing now and specifically on winning my 8th consecutive outdoor title.

Thanks for your support,

Ricky Carmichael

If I gotta be someones butt buddy, I'm glad its this kid.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
IMO, RC is a class act. I think Suzuki just found the cure for their 'curse'.

RC is going to be a great role model/practice partner for Hepler and Milsaps.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
I agree with dirt bike dave. I'll admit though that I am no fan of HRC and never have been so that makes me even happier Ricky is moving to Suzuki.

Ricky said everything he had to say to us with this sentence..."Let me begin by reminding everyone that I am a motorcycle racer...not a public speaker or professional press release author."

That is what I have always liked about the guy...he is a racer, and he has damn well proven so. He has done what he needed to do in his career and that is not only win races but win championships and set records. No matter when this guy chooses to leave the sport, he will have left his mark where it matters most (unlike Pastrana). I remember thinking he was a dork for moving to Honda, especially after the rumor was Kawasaki matched their offer, but these guys should go where the money is no matter what the rest of us think. They don't have a lot of time to make their millions and if they are good enough to get paid that kind of money plus putting up the results to prove it (unlike Pastrana) then they should take whatever they feel is best for them.

What does it matter if he's got worthless speaking skills? Who goes to the race to watch him talk? Whatever I may have said about RC in the past that would come over as negative, I'm pulling it back. I like this guy, he IS a racer and always has been. I hope he smokes everybody indoors and outdoors in 05 on the RM!!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
While I dig the fact that he's a racer first and foremost, and not some poser . . .

I still hate RC :p

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
You rarely miss a chance to tell us all how much you hate the kid. Why is that? Is it something your proud of?

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I think he'll do well there, and hope he sticks to the RM250--which I think is a better bike for HIM than the CR. Who knows what that 4 stroke can do?

And I, too have no love for HRC. I tolerated their relationship for 2 years--now I'm just going to be pure stoked for Carmichael. Can't wait to see him on a yellow bike.

BTW--a clue of HRC's originality: The woodpecker graphic came straight away, pixel for pixel, from Clay Smith Cams--a small camshaft maker from Kali since at least the 50's. Here's hoping Bubba doesn't adorn one next year.

MrMXer327

Back in the saddle and having a blast !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Uhmm.... Now why would Honda choose not to re-sign Ricky? There are a boat load of speculations with one of them saving some coin to buy Bubba. Reguardless of the reason - It's egg on Honda's face from a PR point of view.
I'm sure Suzuki had to come up with some serious coin, which makes me think what might happen to Nick - Hamblin - Travis - Tortelli.

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
Nephron's got it right, I think. Honda doesn't think Ricky can beat Bubba. They either have an agreement in principle with Bubba, or they are determined to bid the highest.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
I think the last two posts have it right- Hondas would not let Charmicheal go unless they had a firm position with either Reed or Stewart.

I think RC is going to be magic on an RM. Watch and see.

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
There isn't a racer alive I have more respect for, but when was the last time Suzuki won a title? I realize they havn't had an RC calibur rider... oh yeah, I forgot about Albertyn :ohmy: .
I hope he comes back strong, but the competition will be tough. I heard Honda is going after Reed.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
There isn't a racer alive I have more respect for, but when was the last time Suzuki won a title?
250's ? From memory; 1992

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
I heard HRC was dragging their feet on RC's contract and he basically took a really good offer from Suzuki, if they lose the bidding war for Reed and Bubba, there is gonna be an aweful lot of egg on the collective faces at HRC. Makes ya wonder how high the bidding war is gonna go. Don't know what Ill do if Reed is on a red bike. At least I have the Rock and KW.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Last 250 AMA MX title for Suzuki was Alby in '99.

Last 250 AMA SX title was Barnett in '81.

RC has more 250 national wins (37, from 2000 to present) than Suzuki has ever (28 wins, from '72 to present).

Since '01, RC has 31 wins in 250 SX, Suzuki has 0.

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
Yep!, it's becoming more appearant that if you're a Factory, (or any team for that matter) and want a Championship, you gonna have to go out and buy a champion. period!

Plus the factories just have too much power for the sport as a whole to compete with, at least at the pro level, so we'll see.

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
Doesn't matter what he rides. I want to see him back and up to form. The guys a racer and is missed.

Slips

Jan 24, 2004
My friend at the track was telling me today RC got 4M for Each of the two years he signed with Suzuki. He said Honda would only give him a one year deal and RC held out for the two year gig. I don't know if that's true or not but it shows me these companies are willing to sling some serious money at a racer if they think he can produce!

I like RC a lot. I have never figured why some do not but to each his own. I guess the thing that comes out the most about him is how he doesnt force others off the track or into accidents when he could. Add to that he is quick to congratulate those who beat him ( erm... maybe with the exception of Reed? ) and face up to his shortcomings quickly. Maybe I dont know what all I should about him but he seems like a class act. I wish him well.

robrm250

Sponsoring Member
May 5, 2002
I'm glad RC went to a superior machine,now I know for sure that Stewart and Reed will get their but spanked next year.I could tell in the middle of the 03 season that RC's cr250 just wasn't up to par with the rest of the feild,luckily they had the best rider who overcompensated for the subpar ride.KW knows its subpar,thats why he's on the four stroke,but don't worry it won't be long before he comes over to the superior ride also.Just for the record its not Pastranas fault for all the injuries,the rm250 is just too much bike for most people.Maybe Pastrana can got to Honda and work his way up to the RM in a couple years,look how long it took RC to get up the courage.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Rob is funny. :laugh:

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
Rob is Funny, isn't he.

But i will say one thing, No one team has tried harder, and with so little success than Suzuki to field a strong team.

I cant wait to get my RC on a RM poster from TWMX :yeehaw:

Top Bottom