There's a new sticker on the 4-fiddy! Rekluse

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I just installed the AWESOME Rekluse auto-clutch in the CRF. I'll post a review after a full day in the deep sand at Nocona MX. There will be my spodley opinion and yes, a fast guy will test it, if it survives Billy Frank, it's gotta be good stuff.

Installation should be a snap for those who actually work on their own bikes... as some of you know, when I moved I lost my factory mechanic Rich Rohrich, who never let me near my bikes with a tool in my hand. While I wasn't really confident with my instruction following, I'm happy to report the clutch is in and it actually works! A couple laps around my test track (back yard) later... VERY COOL :aj: . More on that later.

I always thought the auto-clutch to be mostly a woods rider option until our very own AJ Waggoner installed one in a CRF250R for a Service Honda customer. After a day on the track with it, it seems this hardcore MX'er likes it :)

AJ's comments:

story-
- built a chicago guy with no right foot/lower leg a new 04 CR250 this week. He wanted to shift with his right foot, but
also wanted to be sure he still had a rear brake. So I made a linkage billet system, and shifter to shift him on the right then put a Magura hydraulic clutch master cylinder on the left bar to be his rear brake lever.

Next up is what to do with his clutch, so I told him lets try the auto clutches available. After looking them over at the dealer show i was pretty impressed with the Rekluse unit.

It uses the stock oem clutch plates and Honda basket..
and only replaces the stock pressure plate and springs.

so when he sells the bike he can simply take my linkage/bearings for shifter off, the Magura unit off and brake line.. and reinstall the oem pressure plate and sporing and be back to the regular CR250.

Anyway, tested it out to adjust it properly; the customer wanted me to put a good ride on it, as he hasn't ridden since 1979.

Dewds and Dudettes!
i knew the unit looked well made, and knew that it would work.
But had reservations about 'feel" and engagement points, slippage from a corner or on a jump face, free wheeling into a corner when it disengaged...

etc
etc etc

It works flawlessly! You never feel it engage, ever.
You never feel it disengage, ever!

.... you can not possibly brake hard enough or fast enough to stall it if you adjust it properly. The weird part being you cant feel it kick out, yet you can blast in third gear...grab all the brakes to a stop and it will just sit there and idle.

if you cant tell i'm impressed... well I AM.

I cant imagine anyone not liking the unit..
It isn't hard to get used to at all -as it operates like you cornered or took off perfectly every time. You can dig a 4 inch rut thru a corner without even thinking about cornering or applying the clutch.

I ordered one as soon as I got back from testing it ..LOL

I think to myself, "Self, maybe now I won't be afraid of mid-air rear brake-stabs anymore!" And then reality sets in, "You are never in the air long enough anyway". But hey, think about it.

I did get to try a couple starts from my imaginary starting gate; 2nd gear. Front brake. Enough throttle to take the slack out. Rear just about to break loose. LAUNCH! No way am I that good with a manual clutch.

As mentioned, we'll be at Nocona tomorrow to put it through it's paces and will post the ride report here. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• rekluse_stic.jpg
    rekluse_stic.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 766
Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
COOOL :) Glad to hear you got it installed with no problems. Can't wait for the full ride report.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Okie speaks the truth

I took my Reklused 2004 250 EXC for a test ride today in the woods. rode some quad width stuff and some really tight singletrack. The clutch worked flawlessly, I only stalled the bike once and that was from hauling a$$ in 5th to almost a stop. I rode about 60 miles of trail today and I can tell you that you don't need to be a spode to appreciate it. Hell, I even biffed a tree and while I was trying to get my leg out from under the bike the motor kept running. I looked at the bike and ride off...pretty cool. If the trail gets challenging this thing will rock your world. It's way easier to go faster when the trail is tight. :thumb:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Okie one of our local Vet/250 B racers installed one on his CRF450 last season. The guys at Rekluse told him he was nuts to use it for MX but he loves it. As for starts he grabs dang near every holeshot with that setup even though others felt that would be one of the weak points for racing.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Quick follow-up (6 hours on the road and the ride, I'm spent).
The CRF was hooking-up big time, no way to stall it, great power delivery. All three of gave it a big thumbs-up... even the fast guy. Full report with opinions to follow.

Rekluse has done it right. It's awesome. Next up, adding the perch mounted adjuster that allows even easier tweaking and the use of the manual clutch as an over ride if you want it. That's got to be a great combination.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
How does this clutch work so to say? Like, is there a stall speed in it to let the motor rev up a bit before engaging the clutch? Do you still need to let off the throttle to switch gears? Do you even have the clutch cable and handle still hooked up?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
In short... yes, there is a "stall speed", but it's not like you really notice it. You can't ever feel it engage or disengage. This can be adjusted to your preference. You can roll the power on or nail it, it will react exactly as you think it should. It's wild. Without the perch mount adjuster (which I didn't have time to install for this first test), you set this with the spring you select. My kit came with two, the light weight one would better suit woods riding, as the stall speed is pretty much eliminated. The heavy one is more suited for MX.

Without the perch mounted adjuster, yes, you need to let-off when shifting. Billy commented that that's the only place (and possibly the start) he felt like he would over-ride the Rekluse, which like I've probably said too many times, the perch mount would allow. He fans the clutch shifting on straights, never letting off.

To answer your last question. With just the Rekluse, you can remove the clutch cable and perch completely. With the perch mount, you leave the cable connected, the adjustment is at the perch, in-front (inline) of the stock on-the-fly adjuster. Sooo... with the optional perch mount, you get two benefits. Easy to reach adjustments (if you want to adjust it, it's not like a regular clutch that may require adjustment during a moto) and, you can over-ride the whole auto thing by using the clutch as normal. The common opinion during our test was that being able to over ride it if necessary was the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Cool :thumb:

I ordered mine last month, just waiting for delivery. With my KTM with the cable clutch, the perch adjuster was mandatory, but Im glad Ill have it for the easy adjustment.

Ill be posting a report from a 2-stroke perspective, advanced rider, trail/desert/woods/enduro.

I cant wait, :yeehaw:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Well you sold me on it and forced me to spend money. :aj: I ordered one with the external adjuster for my CRF and will post some feedback as soon as it arrives.

SuperMoto hotshoe Pete Neilsen (PeteN) gave it really high marks when I talked to him about using it in a SuperMoto application.so I can't wait to try it out on some asphalt with the SuperMoto wheels. :yeehaw:

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Could you just shift with the kill switch instead of backing off the throttle?
Maybe you could put a quick shifter ignition interupt on it so you didn't have to tap the kill button...

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I put the external adjuster on mine last night when I installed it. So far I'm impressed.

The external adjuster engages really quick when you grab the clutch. You barely have to move it to get the clutch lever to have an effect. Adjusting the stall speed is as simple as loosening a lock nut and moving the barrel on its threaded adjuster.

I have my stall speed set really slow right now. I'm racing an MX tomorrow, I'll post more feedback afterwards and let you know if the buyer's remorse had subsided :)

Ivan

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I sure am starting to want one of these auto clutches. Only way I can think of to improve my riding without practicing. Cost would be the only drawback.

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
What about moving the rear brake up to your left hand? I always thought that would be a big advantage as well. It would make right hand turns a little easier.

Pvt Joker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 29, 2002
Does this reduce the need for a flywheel weight? I've been considering adding a little more weight to the flywheel on my 450, to reduce clutch use and leave me a little less stall prone. Most of my riding is trails & single track. It sounds like you wouldn't need a heavier flywheel weight with the Rekluse.

Can you still bump start it the same?

If it works well enough I may get one for my WR as well.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Actually, I think the fww is necessary.

I raced an MX with my auto clutch and no fww and was not impressed with the auto clutch and desperately missed my fww.

I ride an 03 CRF450 with 04 piston and 9oz fww.

I put the fww back on and did a MX and a HS. The MX was really tight and I still was not impressed with the auto clutch but got used to it. I have the manual override that lets me use my clutch perch so I believe once I get used to it then I will be happier in MX with it.

However, when I raced the HS the following day I was hooked. There was a ton of elevation changes and slick rocks, roots, ruts, hills, mud-holes, etc. The autoclutch shined!!

It did not make me faster but it allowed me to go my fastest longer. I also had the stall speed slow enough that I still had engine braking on many of the downhills.

So far I am very pleased with the auto-clutch.

Ivan

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
WOW- i had thought about getting a CRF for next season, but after reading this thread, i am thinking of getting one of these and sticking some knobbies on it! :thumb: :laugh: :p

Attachments

• c50e.jpg
    c50e.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 200

PeteN

Jun 5, 2000
As far as stalling goes, the FWW isn't needed, but for traction on less than good grip it might still be an advantage. The Z-start adds a bit of weight to the clutch assembly, but it is only equal to 1 or 2 ozs on the crank. For MX, Supermoto, or other racing with a lot of traction, the stiffer spring gives more slip out of the turns. The clutch wear doesn't seem to be worse, as long as you're in the right gear. It always slips it just the right amount, which is more than can be said for any human.

Top Bottom