There's smoke coming out of my powervalve...

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
I have noticed today that there's smoke coming out of the power valve vent hose in my bike (RM 250 1997).

I think since there's a hose there, it should be normal, but it seems that a lot of smoke is coming out. And also sometimes the oil accumulates, and a drop or two fall from the hose.

Could be that I'm using too much 2T oil? But I use only 1,5% (1:66)...

Can I clean the valve (at least the outside of it) just by removing the covers? Or I need to disasembly it?

Thanks...

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
you can clean the tops of the valves by removing the cover, if you can get it off. On my RM, you have to remove the cylinder to get the cover off because the frame is in the way of the bolts.

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
the smoke is normal. the residue coming out is Ok, too. Do not put less oil in your gas. if there is alot of residue dripping out, you may need to adjust your jetting.

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
RGalesi,

This is strange... Yesterday at my race, I noticed the EXACT same thing on my 97 Rm250. I checked everything over to be sure - all oil levels were OK, fuel was my normal mix..... It stopped and my bike runs great.

Please let me know if anything happens or you do anything about it.

Jeff

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
250'er

Is that a small world or what? Two guys, two countries, same bike, same problem...

I did notice also that after the warm up period the exhaust from the vent hose was less protuberant. Maybe it just because the hot smoke is less visible than the cool one, but maybe the engine burns the oil better...

I'll see what I find out... I'll put the cases apart.

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
Definately let me know. It seemed like mine went away right after a minute or two of running. It was a little cooler (68 degrees) Sunday morning when it happened.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
It probably goes away after a minute or two because your bikes have warmed up. When your at operating temperature, and if your bike is jetted correctly, the oil turns into gas I believe. But when the engine isnt hot enough, the oil stays in a liquid form.
I think this is all correct.

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Again, this is 100% normal. Nothing that I would take my cases apart for!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…