Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
I finally finished "spiking" my tires. I used about 170 elevator bolts (1/4 inch in dia. 1 1/2 inch long) nuts and washers. To drill the holes, I used a 5/16 drill bit. A liner is recommended so I used some reinforced polypropelene ( 50 mils thick with string) from work. I kinda made my own pattern so I don't know how well they will work. I will try and get some pictures in a day or two. :aj: :aj: :aj:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
WAY COOL TOM!!! A man after my own heart is the one who takes the Bull by the horns and makes him MOVE!!!!!!
PICS PLEASE!
Woodsy

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Tom how much of the screw sticks out of the knobby? Also how many screws per knob did you use?

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
woodsy,
A good farm boy would grab the bull closer to the other end to make him move faster. You had the right concept anyway.

Young Ted

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
The bolts are sticking out about 3/4". Only 1 per knobby and they are spread apart. I think I have 86 in the back and 94 in the front.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Inca: I havent seen any "good farm boys" around for years - perhaps this is why :) Is that where all those real deap furrows around the perimeter of the farm fields used to come from?
Tom, you have GOT to take a shot of those tires for us..... Might be the anwser to all my lack of traction problems! This DEEP power really makes life interesting...
Woodsy

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Here we go:

They are a bit blury but I think that you can get the idea.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Links to pics don't work

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Alrighty then, Bill I will prolly e-mail them to you later today. Thanks

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Got the pics Tom, and posted them for you. Pretty innovative technique. I don't know much about studding up tires, but I'm sure you'll be giving Woodsy a run for his money with these mounted up.

-> Front Studs

-> Rear Studs

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Pretty good Smitty!!! At first I looked and though "Oh - my - God, what was Tom thinking??""

It'll be easy to give Woodsy a run for his money. Last time he and I rode he was spitting off the knobs from his tire, let alone the screws that were in them. The roost from an open class two stroke is an awesome thing!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
YOU PIKER SMITDOG!! :) :) You have earned a closeup demo of the "awesomeness" of an open class 2 stroke roost....
CONGRATS!!!!
Oh, by the way, I just ordered a new Dunlop 752 for this "memorable occasion". Like Mark said, "Kadie" has thrown off most of the knobs and screws from the new Michelin I just put on and you deserve better then only getting roosted from the side knobs. :) :)
On a much more serious note:
Bill (or anyone for that matter), I noticed on your "slide show" of pics for the Trailfest you had one of a "shrine" that, I am assuming, was meant to honor one of ours (fellow rider). Do you know the story behind that?
Just curious..
Woodsy

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
:)

That one was for you Woodsy! :debil:

And before you can roost me, you have to pass me! :eek:

Alrighty then, here are the awesome studs Tommy D put together:

-> Snow Ripper Rear

-> Snow Ripper Front/Rear

I sure wouldn't want to get run over by this guy. But next spring when my lawn needs aerating, I'll know who to call...

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by woodsy
... On a much more serious note:
Bill (or anyone for that matter), I noticed on your "slide show" of pics for the Trailfest you had one of a "shrine" that, I am assuming, was meant to honor one of ours (fellow rider). Do you know the story behind that?
Just curious..
Woodsy

"Keefer, Ronnie Scott, 27, self-employed auto body technician, died Saturday as the result of a trail-riding accident. Services 11 a.m. Friday at Nashville Baptist Church. Arrangements by Daniels Funeral Home, Nashville."
http://www.lsj.com/news/local/030818_race_1b.html

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Oh my Tommy! :scream: :scream: I don't want to be anywhere near your rear when thos bad boys start coming un threaded. :flame:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Whoa doggies!!  Those are mean-looking meats!  Are they going to clear your fender when bottoming out??  Those things are going to WHIP you SILLY!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
That is REALLY sad - thanks for the info Smitty!
Ya Tommy, that is one WICKED looking set of night crawler grinders you got there buddy!! A WORD OF WARNING: If those bolts decided to part company from the tire you could be looking at jail time along side of Saddam - you have a "potential" Weapon of Mass Destruction!! On the other hand, maybe if I had a set of those SOME people would show more respect :)
Seems like they would have a tendency of expanding as your speed increases.. Might wanna take some time "testing" RPM ranges before you REALLy put them to the test. They dont seem like they would make good toilet paper if you get my drift...
Please let us know how they work out!!!!
Woodsy

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
Tom,
I would be real careful with those tires. A friend of mine was using Trelleborgs and had problems with them cutting up his fenders and his boots.
I can't imagine what would happen if one of those spikes got a hold of your boot.
The Trelleborgs seemed to work better than screws in the snow, but the screws seemed to work better on bare ice.
I have also seen guys that used spikes from snowmobile traks that were about as aggressive as your bolts and liked them. However I didn't see a big difference except on bare ice.

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Well I took them for a ride today out on a lake. First thing that I noticed is that in the packed snow (snowmobile trail) They are fricken awesome! But at slow speeds on the ice and ground the front end is a bit wobbbly. The back hooked up pretty good on the bare ice but not like Chase's KXF with regular sheet metal screws. After about 15 minutes I got a falt rear because some ot the nuts were coming loose and the bolts were pushing in past the liner, pinching the tube. A word of advise: When doing this to your tires, take the extra time to lock-tite the nuts or spot weld them. I have once again learned the hard way. I would also go with shorter bolts. 1 1/2 are just to long for anything let alone off-road. I will now be spending the next few days grinding them down and welding them up so they will be better.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Tom, good idea on grinding those down and locking them in place.  A spot of weld would certainly be the most effective, and therefore safe, in the long run.

Did you back up the bolt head with a fender washer?  I would suggest you look at the bolt heads on the inside to see if you're tearing through the tire at all.  If so, and fender washer would distribute the loading a little more across the casing material and prevent the bolts from pulling through long-term.

When you grind them down maybe grinding and internal v-shape, kind of like the inside of the Kold Kutters, will give you a little more bite on the ice.

Good luck!

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
The bolt heads are really wide and flat. Maybe 1/16" thick and 1" in diameter.

Top Bottom