Things I learned yesterday (a trials ride report)

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I'm cross posting this from NE Dirtbikes:

Buying a trials bike does not:

* Make you ready to ride trials
* Give you any extra resistance to the Sun
* magically keep you hydrated
* alter any laws of physics

But it does open up a whole new world of riding. Here's how my first trials experience went.
It was friggin hot! It actually hit 88 up here.

I bought my bike, a Montesa Cota 315R 7 days ago, and I decided that there was no time like the present to try out a real trials event. Did I mention it was hot?

I showed up to the RITC event in Escoheag this morning, a little bit later than I anticipated, but not too late by any stretch. I still had plenty of time to get myself registered, and get my plate all numbered up correctly. Bill met me right at the check in and said hello. Very pleasant, and full of tips. This turned out not to be a fluke, Everyone I met was incredibly open and friendly. Very cool.
Then I spotted Jeff, and asked him to take a few minutes to look over my bike. He did and gave it a thumbs up. He also took me for a quick look at some stations on the loop.
Before I forget, it was HOT!
Then it was time for the riders meeting. The meeting was pretty straightforward and once the formalities were done, off we went.

I should mention that at this point I headed off into the woods missing one important piece of equipment. My Hydration pack. I had it with me, but it was sitting in my pickup full of water and granola. Nothing, nothing is as useless is a piece of equipment that gets left behind. I was about to learn a valuable lesson.

I made it past the first three stations without too much trouble. If I had a question, I asked. When I asked I got full, detailed answers. Not just quick replies. This was appreciated. Of course I was anxious, and didn't chose my line as carefully as I could. No biggie. Today I was there to learn.
By the fourth section I was really starting to feel the heat. I could tell I was overheating so right after the fourth section I hung out with Scott at the Champ section. Scott also offered up a bottle of Gatoraide to me which I gratefully accepted. I stayed there for about 30 minutes resting and trying to collect myself.

Stage 5 showed me just how far gone I was. I damn near fell over. By now I was feeling light headed. My arms and legs were jello. I was done, but still a bit away from finishing.
On to stage 6. I hung out before stage 6 thinking about what I wanted to do. I took stock and decided that I just needed to get back to the pickup and my water. I bypassed 6 and ended up on a hill in between sections. It was here that I needed to sit down for a bit. It was also here that I met Chris. He doubled back to see if I was alive, and offered me up a bottle of water. Then came the recognition. We exchanged names and he says, "You're Papakeith aren't you?"

A number of people checked on me during my self imposed rest period. From what I hear they also sent out a search crew for the dead guy. Eventually, however, I gathered myself and made it the rest of the way out and rode straight to my pickup. There, sitting right on the front seat was my hydration pack. Right where I left it.

To everyone who put on today event, NETA and RITC , Thank you. Everyone I met was willing to take the time to explain something, or show me a possible better way of getting something done. Those that saw I was in distress took the time to see if I was OK. You made this new guy feel very welcome. tired, but welcome.
It was a real eye opener.

Same time next week?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Cool Keith. I was wondering how you made out with the bike. Maybe I missed it in your write up...did you trophy? :debil:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I may have, but I wasn't there for the ceremony. I was zonked out in my recliner by 3:00pm. I didnt' get the bike put away until 6:30

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
... and PK is officially Hooked On Trials. :cool:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
88-100 is August weather, not April. Not too many years ago at this time we were having snow.
The next event is supposed to be a bit easier. I'll be better prepared too.

I will clean at least one section next time.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
It was 94 here yesterday and I was dying. Your right Keith, I remember a 3 foot snowfall in April not that long ago. If this is global warming, bring it on!!!!!!!:)

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Boonna said:
6. Even on a forum where we are all united by a great game, there are STILL console bashers.7. a lesson for the HMX people Hide on DLC announcement day, as there will always be complainers that dont appreciate what is done for the game.

If you must spam, please at least attempt to make some sort of sense.

Top Bottom