things to check after buying used

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
Yea i have been wondering what would be the the key things to looks for as far as repairs and maintenance on buying a used bike. What would be the key points to check and or clean after you bring the bike home? Im talking specifically towards two strokes if that makes much difference.

mx4life

Feb 8, 2007
check all the moving parts, clutch brakes, throttle, make sure it all feels good, check for moving side to side in the sway arm(that could mean new bearings, check for movement side to side in the back and fount wheels check for leaking oils/fluids on the bike and if u see any thats probably not a good thing,also make sure the bike isn't hot by feeling the engine and pipe and if it is it may have cold starting issues so while you look at other things and talk to the owner let it cool down then start it, a thing you can check at home is a clean air filter but usually don't buy the bike then take it home and check all these things, don't by shy to go through all the gears, and i usually change the oil and oil filter the day i take it home, better safe than sorry

Last edited:

Blackcat

Mar 9, 2007
Is everything straight? Hows the frame and forks look. Also, the small stuff is important: grips, bearings, cables, brake pads, lose spokes, chains, and rollers. They can all be very expensive if not maintained well. The top end is a given. I would put a new topend in any 2-stroke I bought, unless it was in showroom condtion.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
Where could i learn to do the top end on engines? I don't want to have to pay someone else everytime to do it for me. Any links to places that would show me? or manuals?

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
There's a couple things I always look for BEFORE I buy a used bike.

1. Air filter - Is it clean and well-oiled?

2. Condition of chain and sprockets - Is the chain loose and the sprockets severely hooked or missing teeth?

2. Wheel bearings - Any side to side play in the wheels?

These three are good initial indicators to the maintenance the seller performed on the bike.

Then I ask questions about brand of pre-mix and ratio (2-stroke). Brand of oil and frequency of changes for engine/trans oil (4-stroke), trans oil 2-stroke. Last time the fork/shock oil was changed. The deal killer is usually when I ask about the last time the suspension/steering head bearings were greased/changed. If you get that "deer caught in the headlights" look from the seller, run away fast with your cash.

Redrodent

Jul 31, 2002
Do a compression check. Write it down where you won't lose it. You need a reference point. On a four stroke this check would be valve clearance.

Top Bottom