Things to do to a new bike before that first ride???

NWMyers#5

Jan 23, 2004
Hey guys looking for some expertise here. I have never owned a new bike before till my 04 KX250 that's never been started and is sitting in my den (yes I brought it in the house) :thumb: . My question is what sort of things should I do to it before I take it out the first time? I need to add some oil to the gearbox and check the radiator fluid I know that. I also need to put some filter oil on the stock filter and some grease around the edges of it it's dry as a bone right now. The wheel bearings seem to be greased fairly well. The throttle has white lithium grease on it. I've read about someplace on a new bike that is lacking in grease but can't think where it is at. Also what's a reasonable way to break in a new motor. The manual seems reasonable to me right up the part where it says to tear the whole top end down, replace the ring and decarbon it :eek: I dont' think it needs a new ring after an hour. My buddy has always had new bikes and he just does the let it get warm and then let it cool off cycle while gradually increasing the run time. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

kbob

Nov 27, 2001
The wingarm needs disassembled and gerased also the steering stem. The rings should be good for about a month at least but that realy depends on how hard and how much you ride.The first thing performance wise you should do is jet the motorcycle.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Done them right away I had to grease the all of the bearing /wheels don't matter sealed bearing. And make sure there is oil in the bottom end and make sure the air fliter is oiled I use no toil. Mine kx was pretty dry for the bearings.

NWMyers#5

Jan 23, 2004
Thanks guys.. were you in a hurry or a bit tanked tonite..LOL I'm guessing you meant the Swing arm Kbob and MX I've never Toiled by bike before :) Thanks for the info. I think it was the swingarm that I've read somewhere before to take apart.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
I greased the swingarm bearings, all the shock linkage bearings, and inside the steering head. I don't know where the factory gets that grease, it's so thin. Also coated the wheel bearing/spacer areas with grease, the waterproof kind that's used for marine purposes. I didn't pay much attention to the manual when it came to breaking in the engine. The old standard of running it easy a couple times for 15-20 minutes each time has worked fine for me for every new bike I've owned.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
NWMyers#5, I don't know if you want to do this. But my buddy did this to his last bike. When he got it home and unloaded it, he dropped it on both sides, 1 time each. He said he was just going ahead and getting it out of the way now :thumb:

Crash 142

May 30, 2002
When you break it in, I've heard, and had good experience with this - do one warm up cycle, then let it cool. then warm it up again - make sure it's warmed up - and when you ride it, make sure you get the throttle open and rpm's up - but take the rpm's up slowly - get a wide open space, get into second or third gear, and roll it on to wide open very breifly, then roll it slowly back off. Don't load it with a quick twist to full throttle, but let it get wide open. Maybe do a 3 min. ride, then a 5 min. ride, then a 10 min. ride, letting it completely cool between rides. Then you're ready for the track, but take it easy because you're not used to the bike and the SUSPENSION has to break in. I have seen more than on person, myself included, get kicked off a new bike. A few days and the suspension will be okay. Then if you really love your bike, you can replace the suspension fluids - I believe it's cheap oil and the break in contaminates it.

Also, yes, lube the swingarm, linkage (carefull, the needle bearings are loose in there), and the steering head.

ML536

Dec 1, 2001
Another important thing to do is to back out the chain adjuster bolts in the swingarm and put anti-seize on them. If not, the steel bolts will gall onto the aluminum swingarm.

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
If your really anal, you can apply anti-seize to every single spoke/nipple junction on the wheels.

I've had a few bikes that after a few seasons have become untruable. Now I'm religious about putting Copper anti-seize on all the spokes. It takes some time, but it'll well worth it if you plan on keeping the bike.

As for the rings, have you guys who change them that often (10-20hrs) actually measured them? Does your ring end gap show any wear?? I have a 2002 YZ250, and I let my piston go 2 race seasons, and it was worn, but still within spec!

Jon
(Maxima oil at 32:1)

Top Bottom