Thinking about a getting back into dirt bikes again in the future What bikes are good

BlackFox

Mar 2, 2004
I grew up riding for as longas I can remember. I can really hold my weiaght in the trails and everything and I just miss how much fun it was... So I would like to get back in again. The last bike I had was a 1980 XR80. I've driven a KDX80, and my little cousins KX60, lol Both bikes had way more power than my 80 ever did, so this time I want to get a 2 stroke.

I'm about 5'11" and think a 125 would be perfect for me.

I've been looking at used bikes, and I don't know which to get. I've limited my choices to 5 bikes.

Honda CR125
Kawasaki KX125
Yamaha YZ125
Suzuki RM125
KTM 125SX

I don't know which is better, and why becuase I've never followed along on them. I'd like to get a bike with a good aftermarket. And maybe easy to rebuild the top end when needed...

Does a 125 sound too small, or should I go with a 250? My uncle has an older KX125 and it was a pretty good size. I don't think I could rest both feet flat on the ground, but I was able to hold the bike up without a problem.

Also how many hours or tanks of gas does the top end last before it has to be rebuilt? And what has to be serviced/replaced besides the reeds?

I don't really want to spend more than $2000 on a bike. I already have some gear for riding so I'm pretty much all set.

My g/f wants me to get her a bike too. I told her I'll get her a 4 stroke for sure. She doesn't want a 2 stroke because it's too much power especially since she is just starting off. What would be a good bike for her and what size? She is around 5'7-8"

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Well, about your girl.. A 4-stroke play/trail bike XR might be the best bet there.

I don't really want to spend more than $2000 on a bike.

oh yeah, I am looking for something from around 1988-1994ish

Woah there man.. If you are willing to spend $2000, you can easily get a 125 from around year 2000 and up if your lucky, without a problem.

With deciding between a YZ/CR/KX/RM/SX, its basically all a preference. Its really not much these days on which is "better" than the other, since they are all fantastic bikes, and even if you look around on these forums, and equal amount of people have their preferences. So there is NO bad decision there. Try to find the best deal you can.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Tiylu hit the nob on the head! More important then make is how well it was taken care of! Find someone who knows dirtbikes to look at your purchase before you hand over the cash.. Checking the suspention out is a good idea as is removing the pipe and looking at the piston/jug can tellyou how well the prior owner did his maintenance! I, for one, would stay away from RM's, never had good luck with them myself - I have had all the others except the KTM and can vouch for there reliability, and I am SURE KTM is there too!! Yea, 2 grand should get you a fairly new bike in this economy!! Same goes for the newer fourstrokes (for the girlfriend). I would get either an XR or a TTR that fits her good - make her first experience a good one!!
Have fun and good luck!!

Bubbie3737

Feb 28, 2004
also maybe consider a trail bike like kdx 200 or something too. you don't necesarrily need an mx bike if you're just gonna be in the trails.

Top Bottom