thinking about going to the darkside....

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
i have a 1999 cr250r that just blew up. i found someone to buy it hes supposed to come grab it and haul it away ( i loved the **** out of that dam bike) anyway, im unsure what i wanna vs. 250 stroke or a 450 four stroke. i only ride honda. can anyone give me some insight on how much maintence is invloved with a four stroke. i usually cleaned my CR after ride along with the chain and i cleaned the air filter and changed the oil and all that good stuff. i dont mind keeping up on maintence i just want to know what im in for if i do buy one.

also, any insight on what to look for when im shopping for a 4 stroke. good bad, hits, tricks, tips? i mean i know all the regular stuff you would look for, i mean just for a four stroke. noises? thank you for any and all help.
-mike.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
If you had good maintenance habits on the 2 stroke then you'll find little difference with a 4 stroke. The biggest difference for me was an oil change on my sons RM125's was a 5 minute affair and on his RMZ250 it was about a 20 minute job.

As far as what to look for while shopping for a 4 stroke, it's simple, look for the color you like at the dealer because buying a used one is like playing russian roulette.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The search button is your friend. There are no less than 1,000 threads addressing your questions.

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
Don't do it, Come back, Don't follow the light! :)

In all seriousness, from the horror stories i've heard i would agree with Chili and be very leery about buying used unless you personally know how well it was taken care of. My friend has a Honda TRX450 fourwheeler. He washes it after every ride so it always looks clean but he doesn't do any maint. on the engine. No valve adjustment, no oil change, no clean air filter. You could easily run into that buying a used bike. It looks great on the outside, but it's the inside that's going to cost you the money. If you have the funds to buy new then just pick which brand you like and go for it.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
Deadohiosky39 said:
Don't do it, Come back, Don't follow the light! :)

In all seriousness, from the horror stories i've heard i would agree with Chili and be very leery about buying used unless you personally know how well it was taken care of. My friend has a Honda TRX450 fourwheeler. He washes it after every ride so it always looks clean but he doesn't do any maint. on the engine. No valve adjustment, no oil change, no clean air filter. You could easily run into that buying a used bike. It looks great on the outside, but it's the inside that's going to cost you the money. If you have the funds to buy new then just pick which brand you like and go for it.

haha, if i buy a four stroke ill pick up another 2 stroke. even if i dont ride the 2 stroke as much, ill have to have one. an 04 and newer cr250r would be my choice. i just sold my street bike and im selling my blewn up 250. im thinking of putting 3,000 down on a new 450r.

Top Bottom