Guppy Driver

May 22, 2001
I currently own a 2001 CR250 and I am thinking about switching to a 2002 380MXC or 300MXC. What do you think? I've never ridden a KTM, but I hear good things about them. I don't race, but I am a fairly aggressive trail rider and I appreciate the CR's suspension, handling, and light weight. I've considered modifying my CR to make it a little more trail friendly, i.e., Rad Valve, Power Valve, flywheel weight, revalve the suspension, etc.... But I wonder if I would just be better off buying a KTM. Oh yeah, does anybody make a good looking aftermarket front fender for the Katoom? You know, one that looks like a CR or YZ fender or even an older KTM fender! I hate to nit-pick, but that has got to be the ugliest front fender ever made!

triplephatmx

Jun 5, 2001
I know EXACTLY how you feel. I just sold my 2000 CR250 after buying a KTM 400 EXC this spring. I had the same apprehensions as did you, but all I can say is......the CR got sold. I was lucky enough to be in a position that I could hang onto the CR while I "tried out" the KTM and man, was I surprised!! KTM makes an awesome bike. It doens't really matter what model you get, they are just great bikes. And this is coming from a guy who owned only Hondas up to this point. I too made some updates to the CR to make it more trail friendly (suspension revalve, etc.) but there is just no comparison. I ride mostly wooded trails and I got off the KTM after the first ride and said, "Ah-ha! That's how these guys ride so fast!! This bike could make anybody look like Shane Watts or Jeremy McGrath!!". I guess you get the point - You'll be MORE than happy if you buy a KTM!! Good luck and let us know what you get!!

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
KTM quality is really good and the ease of working on one really are strong points. The 300 MXC would be a great trail bike, I think. It has that huge gas tank. You will have to get it dialed in a bit, then you will most likely love it. I put a '98 KTM fender on mine. I didn't mind the P fender looks so much, but it was no fun getting roosted by my own front tire. KTM's seem to rule the off-road racing scene... I can't wait for a solid 250 MX effort from them.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I think you'd be happier on the 300 but, if you don't race, the 380 is a load of fun. The vibration factor is pretty high on the 380, though. Why the MXC model specifically, BTW?

The front fender from the 98 will fit and it's the rounded style. I think Cycra and Acerbis give you other choices as well. I like the new style fender, personally. The other one's all look retro to me now.

Guppy Driver

May 22, 2001
Thanks for all of the input. I just visited a KTM dealer today and I was impressed with the customer service they provided and I was equally impressed by the bikes. I think I am going to get the 300MXC. I was considering the 300EXC, but I don't have any need for the lights and besides the lights, the bikes appear to be identical. Anybody know if there are going to be any significant changes to the 2002 models? If there are no big changes I will probably buy a 2001 model in August or September. The local dealer is asking $5600 plus two new tires for the 2001 300MXC. No offense to those who like that front fender, but I will be leaving the showroom floor with a '98 fender and number plate installed!

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
I would say first before you take off the front fender ride with it in the trails. You'll see a BIG difference in knowing where you front tire isn't with a normal CR type fender.

BigStoppy

Mar 6, 2000
front fender

I was told by Lockheed that the front fender on KTM's was designed with the same stealth technology as F117 stealth fighter jets. Radar waves bounce harmlessly off of it, rendering you invisible to SAM missle sites. :D

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
'02 changes

I have not heard of any earth shattering change in the 300MXC. I know the SX models (not in the 300 line) will have 48mm front forks. To date no one is able to tell me if any other bike will have the 48mm forks. If the '02 were to have the 48mm, I would wait. If they do not, I would get the '01 now.

Leave the front fender. It will grow on you.

triplephatmx

Jun 5, 2001
I find it silly to even comment on a fender, but I have to agree.....Leave the fender - It WILL grow on you. And remember I came off a 2000 CR - just my .02!!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I put the silver cycralite fender on my KTM. Pay no attention to anything you read in dirt mags, it looks Great! The back half of the fender is white with holes in it and some think it looks silly. I happen to think it is way trick.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by Guppy Driver
Thanks for all of the input. I just visited a KTM dealer today and I was impressed with the customer service they provided and I was equally impressed by the bikes. I think I am going to get the 300MXC. I was considering the 300EXC, but I don't have any need for the lights and besides the lights, the bikes appear to be identical.

Congrats on the decision. I think you'll be verfy happy with the bike. The significant difference between the bikes is the tranny. The MXC has a close ratio and will be considerably slower on topend speed, if that's important to you. If you ride at the track and/or tight woods, it most likely will not be a problem. Just so you know.

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
It seems I remember hearing that KTM was dropping the MXC line for 2002. You might wnt to nail down a 01 model pretty soon.

Remember they aren't perfect motorcycles but fix a few things and they are as close as I've ever ridden. You'll love it no matter which one you get.

Howard:)

Top Bottom