Hawk45

Feb 21, 2003
Thinking of going with a dual-sport and selling the ol' 2stroke. Something to get me back and forth to work and do some trail riding. Work is about 30 miles each way on a 45mph road but will probably do more on road than off road for the time being.

I'm just starting to look but do you guys have any suggestions? I'm 6'4" 210lbs if that matters.

Thanks,
Hawk

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
well id say one of the Dual Sport 450s would be fun. I've seen a few CRF450X's lately. Not too many of the other brands but i'm sure they are just as good. If you are wanting something cheaper or not quite as fast (i.e. maintenance) Then there is always the trusty XR400s. The two bikes are completely different so its more down to what type of bike you are wanting.

There is the XR650 but i think that would be a pain to ride off-road but after seeing the Ivan Tedesco video I was proved wrong.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
The Suzuki Dr200se would be too small and inadequate for you.

Hawk45

Feb 21, 2003
I know there is no perfect bike but here is my wish list:

Not overly expensive - would like to keep sub $4K
Mostly for commuting - 30miles each way on pavement, speeds (35-65mph).
Off-road usage - trail and woods riding, putting around but can get tight in the woods.
Long hauls - would like to use as adventure bike too possibly for longer trips (200-300 miles) for camping etc (pavement and off-road usage.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
If you plan to ride a trail at any point with the bike, I'd stay away from the 650s. Tedesco video is a fluke, that 650l is a monster on trails, especially when you have to pick it up.

I would still be scared that the 250s are still too weak especially for the road miles you speak of. I have yet to ride a 250 dual sport that felt like it moves.

If I were buying one right now, it would be the DRZ400 or the KTM 450/525 if they are still available street legal. But I doubt I would ride the long trips you speak of. I was usually ready to be done riding on my 650l and my brothers KLR after 80 miles or so of highway buzzing. The smaller bikes will be even worse.

I am in NC and dual sporting a trail/mx bike is nearly impossible, so I can't tease myself with XR650rs and such bikes.

Top Bottom