Thinking of Qualifying for the ISDE?

Berkyboy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 22, 2002
The AMA will be qualifying 6 riders form each of the new FIM ISDE classes this year.

There are 3 new classes (down from 5 last year) that combine 2-strokes and 4-strokes.

Class 1: 100cc to 125cc 2-Stroke / 175cc to 250cc 4-Stroke Class 2: 175cc to 250cc 2-Stroke / 290cc to 450cc 4-Stroke Class 3: 290cc to 500cc 2-Stroke / 475cc to 650cc 4-Stroke

They will also be qualiying a 3-rider womens team, a 3-rider senior team and the 4-rider Junior Team. That makes for a total of 28 "qualified" riders for next years Polish ISDE. 

As in the past the 6-rider US Trophy Team will be chosen by a "board."

Two qualifers will be run with one in Idaho June 5th and 6th and the other on Ohio June 19th and 20th.

For more info http://www.skunkwrx.net/viewarticle.asp?artid=50

Steve Berkner

WOODSGUY

Sponsoring Member
Mar 20, 2000
If I was a betting man I would say it was a move to ease congestions in the pits. I saw the team list for Brazil last year and most everyone was a 250 2st rider. There are only so many tire boards and tools. As far as the 34 total instead of the 43 in the past I dont know. Only 9 less spots though. The big deal is that a guy could possibly be faster than twelve other guys that go to Poland if he finishes 4th in the 250 2st class. Still I guess you have to look atit like we are taking the best in each class. So class selection at the qualiifers this year is pretty darn important.

Berkyboy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 22, 2002
Remember the ISDE is a team competition and each rider on a team (3-rider club, 4-rider Junior or 6-rider Trophy ) is scored or evaluated only against the best rider in their class. Then the team's combined individual class scores are totaled and compared to other team's totals.

This year Randy Hawkins (250 4-stroke) finished 117th overall (basically against overall winner Stefan Everts who rode a 450 4-stroke.) But in his class he finished 11th.

That was the key to his GNCC sponsored club team's success: where Hawkins (with a 250 4-stroke class score of 13 minutes and 52 seconds), Robbie Jenks (with a 250 2-stroke class score 16 minutes and 59 seconds) and Doug Blackwell (with a 250 2-stroke class score of 20 minutes
28 seconds) finished 2nd in the club team division.

Avoiding the fastest class this year (250 2-stroke / 450 4-stroke) will also be the key for any team doing well in Poland.

In 1996 Guy Copper, Fred Hoess and John Nielson won the 3-rider Club Team competition in the 125 2-stroke, 125 2-stroke and 400 4-stroke classes
respectively.

Last year's ISDE qualifier rules, of using the overall scores to qualify riders ensured that we qualified the fastest American riders, who typically ride 250 2-strokes.

But it also sealed our fate of mediocre team finishes in Brazil were even if we would have used six riders (five actually, each day the lowest scoring rider's score is thrown out) with identical scores of top American finisher 250 2-stroke rider Kurt Caselli (8th in class / 17th overall) we still would
have only finished 4th overall in the World Trophy Team division.

As strange as it sounds avoiding the fastest class is the best way of both qualifying and having top team finishes at Six Days. That's why Finland is the dominating team at Six Days. They rarely have the fastest overall rider, but they usually win up to half of the individual class.

Last year's qualifier selection process, of using the fastest 43 riders overall, was probably not inteded to make for winning ISDE team scores., but it did give us a core group of talented riders who had one of the best ISDE rider finishing rates Team USA has ever seen, where 37 of 49 riders finished.

Qualifiying 6 riders per class is going to give us at least two strong club teams that are going to have a chance at a top 10 finish. How about having Randy Hawkins, Robbie Jenks and Doug Blackwell all ride the 250 4-stroke class. I'm sure they could take home the 3-rider club team title.

Heck if it rains they could make up a good core group the US Trophy Team.

Steve Berkner

Last edited:
Top Bottom