Thinking of selling the KDX for and MX bike.

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
Since I have only been riding MX lately I have been looking at some used MX bikes. Since my 99 KDX 200 has plenty of torque and is pretty fast do you think a 125 would be too small a bike and be to pipey? I weigh 160-165 lbs and am 6 foot. I would like a lighter bike that can be jumped easier and handle the whoops better than the KDX (although with the Fredette 21# springs the KDX flies through the whoops). Should I concentrate on a 250? Is the 125C class more competative than the Open D class? Thanks.

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
I can't tell you anything about which classes are more compeditive but i can give you my impressions of 125 & 250 MX bikes compared to the KDX. What it boils down to is what type of riding you want to do and what conditions you ride in. Since you are already riding MX then it only makes sense to buy an MX bike. Personally I would get a 250 since they are a bit more versital and forgiving should you decide to trail ride the bike in the off season. I rode my brother's '99 YZ 125 in trail riding conditions and didn't find it to be very enjoyable. Because you had to keep the 125 wound up tight to make power it wasn't much fun on tight trails. Plus even when it was on pipe it wasn't a whole lot faster than the KDX. Now ride a 250 and there is a night and day diference between it and the KDX. Basically if you are going to only ride MX and try to excell at it than the 125 will be easier to master but you give up versatility. The 250 will be harder to adjust to on the track but it will be more adaptable to different riding conditions than the 125.

If you only want to MX go 125. If you want to ride everything, get the 250. If you lean heavily towards trail riding and exploring with an occasional MX session keep the KDX.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
need some down payment money ?

give me a killer deal on your 99 ? marzec@umich©edu

JoeAverage

Jun 22, 2000
Go for a 250... It will be more familiar to you if you liked the torque of the KDX. A 125 maybe "bore" you... ofcourse, the general consensus is that I'm wrong a lot!

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
It depends; are you one of those hyper-active, quick-shift type of guys? Or, (like me) prefer to keep the engine on the lazy side of the powerband and clutch into the power on demand? If the 1st type, then a 125 is a blast in the woods. If the 2nd type, get the 250 and hang on tight!

As to weight, the 250's are lighter than the KDX, and have much better power. The 125 will be MUCH lighter, and have a bit more top end power. Any of the motobikes will have better ergos.

Either size MX bike will be more suited for moto than the KDX. But, now don't get me wrong, the KDX is a great bike, but it is good at what it is good at, which is a nice & reliable trail bike which can be made a lot faster with some mods.

Good luck with the decision. :)

89vett

Aug 6, 2000
KDXdan,
I just did exactly what you are thinking about doing.I had a KDX 220 and
switched to a 2000 CR125r.I don't race and use the bike for woods riding.
Here are my impression's\difference's from my 1st ride on the CR125r.
You will have to work the clutch alot more on the 125-not in a bad sense,
you just have to rev the bike up to use the power,you will use 1 lower gear
on the 125 than on the KDX-if you used 2nd and 3rd on the KDX,you will
be in first and second on the 125.The handling is far superior on the 125,
the weight is far superior on the 125.I did not feel as tired after riding on the
125 as I did on my KDX.The suspension is alot better on the 125's,it seemed
to soak up the ruts and bumps much better than the KDX.The rear wheel seemed to stay planted and not jump out as much as the KDX.As far as you
size goes I am 5'10 170 lbs and the 125 is fine for me,so I think it will work for
you also.I did put bigger sprockets on my 125 for better low end,I would suggest you do the same if you are going to use it in the woods.And a front
and rear pipe will also help the low end.
Let me know what you decided.
Good luck,
89vett
2000 CR125r

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
$2000 you meet me in half way©

I pm'd and e-mailed through the board© this offer is on hold right now working on a 2000 for the same price , But I'm alway's dealing:think

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
Sorry, There going for far more than that here in Pa. I've been offered $2500 and also a trade for a tricked 99 RM125. Thanks anyway.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Hey, best of luck!

I'm just letting you know, I'm looking and I have $2000 burning a hole in my pocket:p and if your other sales fall through hey I'm here for some fast cash!

Top Bottom