Rider117

Sep 13, 2009
I was wondering if the XR650L would be a good bike for me. I would use it on the street sometimes and on track/trails other times.

Would this be a good choice? If not what do you recommend?

-Thanks

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6 foot 125 pounds
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Medium on both
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
with friends, or off roading
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Nope
5) Do you think you will race ?
No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Not really
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Have a honda dealer near me.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
up to $5000
10) Do you live in California?
Yes
11) Your age?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Rider117

My curiosity is killing me....why do you come on this site, ask for advise, get advise, ignore the advise, then post a second thread asking about a bike that is even more wrong than the original bike you were asking about?

Lets try this again....with oil and fuel, that XR650 weighs over 300 pounds. You weigh 125 pounds. That is a big problem....especially with your inexperience. You havent ridden much at all and you are asking about a 650 cc bike. That is one the largest displacement [cc] off road motorcycles made. Dont you think that is too much power for someone of your skill level? Do you realize they make different sizes of bikes for different sized people with different skill levels? Your weight and experience is at the bottom.

How about a 125 motocross bike or a 250cc trail bike, I dont disagree with the XR250 suggested above, but those are old bikes they dont make anymore. I think you were much more realistic with your CRF250X idea...although that bike is kind of heavy for your weight (about 250 pounds) I have been riding bikes on and off since I was 9...I am 35. Dont you think I might know something about this? Think about it.

Rider117

Sep 13, 2009
I just thought that the weight of the bike really didnt matter, what exactly does the weight do when your riding it?

I posted a 2nd time because i wanted to know about this bike, My other choice would be the 250X.

I figured out that id need a bike that was srteet legal though.

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
The weight has alot to do with it, when you turn you are moving the weight of the bike around. If you fall, believe me, if you are riding hard enough you will fall. If you do not then you may as well be on a scooter in my opinion. But, when you fall that is alot of weight to pick up. Especially after you have been on a long trail and already wore out. Some people look at dirt bike riding as something like driving a car and not requiring any strength or stamena. Those are the people that have not ridden before. I have only been riding for about 2 years now and just moved from a XR400 to a Kx250. I have had my fair share of crashing and believe me, after being on a long trail my XR which weighs about 280 or so is heavy for me. I am 6' and 205lbs. Once you get riding more then you will crash less and also build up strength and the weight will not be as big of an issue. That size bike is still going to be quite powerful for a beginner though. I, like the others would suggest the 250 4 stroke or 125 2 stroke. You are about the same size as my neighbor who has been riding for about 9 years and he rides a 125 2 stroke and that is what he is comfortable. You are talking about a bike that weighs more than 100lbs less, that is quite a difference when picking it up off of the ground.

Rider117

Sep 13, 2009
So if i did get the 650 is there more of a chance that id get hurt or what?

If not the 650 then what about the CRF230L, what are the pros/cons of that?

I need a bike that will be street legal.

Also are dirtbikes allowed on bike trails?

aweebitofjt69

Oct 18, 2009
The 230 is a good starters bike for sure. I had one. But then rode a yz 250f and then a cr 250 and as you see I now have a 250 lol. But as said before the 230 is great. If your in a harry situation, and stall out its electric start instead of kicking it. Pretty much industructable and their to be had really cheap used. I baisically am givving mine away and people are still lowballing me. So go ride one.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Hey Rider117, consider renting a bike out at Jawbone canyon, Funtime rentals is next to the store. They have a variety of rides to choo :yikes: se from, I doubt that they will rent you a 650 due to your lack of experience. This may be the easiest & cheapest way to get you
well into the learning curve, without buying a bike that will make a statistic of you.
PLEASE, do yourself & your parents a favor & bring or buy all the crash gear you can afford. Riding gear is always cheaper than ambulance/hostpital bills& dont forget a first aid kit. Contact Funtime & they will fill you in on the details required,& you will probably have an awsome experience the first time out. If you do this, you will answer many of your own questions & not have shelled out $5K for a bike that does not suit you. Any bike with a happy button is a big advantage, for all levels of riders.
Also you mentioned, street legal...TAKE A RIDER TRAINING COURSE!!!!!!!
(before you attempt to even ride to the market) Over the years I have known 3 guys who lost their lives the FIRST week on the street, one of them wasn't even on his own ride..(it was his best friends bike). Sorry,I don't mean to sound like your mom,
but your comment about the weight not really mattering......you require dirtbike
learning curve 101,,,,don,t be niieeeeeeve, be wise, educate yourself about all this and you'll be in for the time of your life, for a long time... not a short time.
"So. Cal. Wrecking crew name for NEW riders: VICTIMS" (don't be one)
Good luck,Happy trails,& Best Regards, Porkchop...

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Yes, you are more likely to get hurt on a 650..its as simple as that.

I think the CRF230 is a good idea..remember, you can always upgrade later. Get some experience on the 230 and trade up in a year or so...depending on how often you are riding.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Rider117:

You have to realize ( and you will eventually) that a bike that is good on the street will suck on the trail and vice-versa. If you are expecting to ride the bike around town and then have a good time on the trail (or even worse, the track) you are going to be disappointed.

Tires are one big difference. A set of knobbies that will give you a good grip in the dirt will get torn to shreds on asphalt and most are not legal on the road. A DOT approved street tire is not going to give you the grip you will want in the dirt.

Gearing is another big issue. You will rarely have the opportunity to exceed 60 MPH on a trail and never on a track. MX bikes and most trail bikes will be geared for going 30 MPH. Yes, they will go a lot faster but you have to really wind them up and the engines are not going to last long on the freeway. On the other hand, a bike geared to go 80 MPH on the freeway is going to have such large jumps between gears that it will just suck on the trail.

"Dual Sport" is an entire category in itself and there are a number of dual sport bikes available. Usually, though, the on road use of such a bike is limited to short stretches required to get from one trail to another, not commuting to work every day.

A number of my friends are into dual sport rides. Many of them have taken their MX bikes and added kits to make them pseudo street legal (they generally register them in Idaho or some state other than California). The 450 four strokes do well. A few have KTM 525cc bike that they use for dual sport rides but then use their 450cc bikes for when they want to go fast in the desert. The bigger bike does a little better when you load it down with supplies, spare parts, tools and other gear to last you a few hundred miles. The extra weight is a major disadvantage when you need to be nimble.

One of my friends just bought a 650 that he road on a recent Big Bear dual sport ride. This guy is one of the best enduro riders I know and usually rides a KTM 450exc. He really struggled with that big heavy bike on that dual sport ride, it was just too heavy.

Like GoldDrum said, the weight of the bike will play a big factor when you crash. And you will crash. The more tired you get, the more likely it is that you will crash. Picking the bike back up wears you out, makes you tired. Getting tired makes you crash more. Vicious cycle.

If you only cruise along and don't push yourself it may not matter. But most 16 year olds I know don't do that, they will push themselves and attempt things they are not prepared for. I will make a prediction: I predict that you hook up with some friends and go for a ride. The long sand washes will wear you down. A few miles of whoops will turn your legs to jelly. Muscling that big around the turns will turn your arms into noodles. Then there will be this hill that stands between you and your truck. You will attempt that hill and get 3/4 of the way up before a big rock knocks you off your line. You can't correct and back off the gas, stalling the bike. The ground is uneven being steep you can't hold the bike up so it tips over. You tumble out of the way and are not hurt bad but now your bike is 10' below the trail, with the tires up hill from where the handle bars are.

Now you have to stand below the bike and attempt to pick the bike up. How are you at bench pressing a couple hundred pounds? When you were fresh in the morning it wouldn't have been a problem but now you are having difficulty just lifting the handlebars off the ground. You aren't getting the bike up that way so you grab the front wheel and drag the bike around. That extra 100 pounds is really a factor now. By the time you get the bike upright you are 20 feet off the trail. Will you be able to ride it out of there?

There is no way that a beginner rider could even begin to use the power that a 650 cc bike will deliver. At least not in the dirt.

Do yourself a favor and start with something smaller. It is not a life sentence, buy decent used bike, keep it a couple of years and then trade up.

If you want both street and dirt, buy two bikes. One of each.

Rod McInnis

aweebitofjt69

Oct 18, 2009
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Rider117:

You have to realize ( and you will eventually) that a bike that is good on the street will suck on the trail and vice-versa. If you are expecting to ride the bike around town and then have a good time on the trail (or even worse, the track) you are going to be disappointed.

Tires are one big difference. A set of knobbies that will give you a good grip in the dirt will get torn to shreds on asphalt and most are not legal on the road. A DOT approved street tire is not going to give you the grip you will want in the dirt.

Gearing is another big issue. You will rarely have the opportunity to exceed 60 MPH on a trail and never on a track. MX bikes and most trail bikes will be geared for going 30 MPH. Yes, they will go a lot faster but you have to really wind them up and the engines are not going to last long on the freeway. On the other hand, a bike geared to go 80 MPH on the freeway is going to have such large jumps between gears that it will just suck on the trail.

"Dual Sport" is an entire category in itself and there are a number of dual sport bikes available. Usually, though, the on road use of such a bike is limited to short stretches required to get from one trail to another, not commuting to work every day.

A number of my friends are into dual sport rides. Many of them have taken their MX bikes and added kits to make them pseudo street legal (they generally register them in Idaho or some state other than California). The 450 four strokes do well. A few have KTM 525cc bike that they use for dual sport rides but then use their 450cc bikes for when they want to go fast in the desert. The bigger bike does a little better when you load it down with supplies, spare parts, tools and other gear to last you a few hundred miles. The extra weight is a major disadvantage when you need to be nimble.

One of my friends just bought a 650 that he road on a recent Big Bear dual sport ride. This guy is one of the best enduro riders I know and usually rides a KTM 450exc. He really struggled with that big heavy bike on that dual sport ride, it was just too heavy.

Like GoldDrum said, the weight of the bike will play a big factor when you crash. And you will crash. The more tired you get, the more likely it is that you will crash. Picking the bike back up wears you out, makes you tired. Getting tired makes you crash more. Vicious cycle.

If you only cruise along and don't push yourself it may not matter. But most 16 year olds I know don't do that, they will push themselves and attempt things they are not prepared for. I will make a prediction: I predict that you hook up with some friends and go for a ride. The long sand washes will wear you down. A few miles of whoops will turn your legs to jelly. Muscling that big around the turns will turn your arms into noodles. Then there will be this hill that stands between you and your truck. You will attempt that hill and get 3/4 of the way up before a big rock knocks you off your line. You can't correct and back off the gas, stalling the bike. The ground is uneven being steep you can't hold the bike up so it tips over. You tumble out of the way and are not hurt bad but now your bike is 10' below the trail, with the tires up hill from where the handle bars are.

Now you have to stand below the bike and attempt to pick the bike up. How are you at bench pressing a couple hundred pounds? When you were fresh in the morning it wouldn't have been a problem but now you are having difficulty just lifting the handlebars off the ground. You aren't getting the bike up that way so you grab the front wheel and drag the bike around. That extra 100 pounds is really a factor now. By the time you get the bike upright you are 20 feet off the trail. Will you be able to ride it out of there?

There is no way that a beginner rider could even begin to use the power that a 650 cc bike will deliver. At least not in the dirt.

Do yourself a favor and start with something smaller. It is not a life sentence, buy decent used bike, keep it a couple of years and then trade up.

If you want both street and dirt, buy two bikes. One of each.

Rod McInnis

Could not have been explained any clearer.

Rider117

Sep 13, 2009
thanks for the advice older than dirt,

I have definatly ruled out the 650 because it seems too impractical and I am now looking into a CRF250X.

I really dont want to be hit by a car on the street so i have also ruled that out.

Also so dirtbikes are allowed on bike trails? Like the american river bike trail.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I cant speak for everyone, but I have never heard of a trail that allows both dirtbikes and mountain bikes. I ride both and if there was a trail that allowed it, I wouldnt ride it for fear of getting ran over or running over someone else.

117, I think ruling out the big bikes is the most sensible call you have made so far. If you listen to the folks on this site, you have much to gain. I think the 250X is a tad heavy, but at 125 pounds, Im not sure what bike wouldnt be....besides a 125....which you dont want.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
D B Learning curve 151

Rider117, It's good to see your listening! The 250x is a great choice for you. You might have your hands full the first few times you ride the thing, but you're in for an e ticket ride ..I have a 450 and i'm very pleased with it. The bike is light, nimble, handles good, and has good fuel range. I geared mine way down for riding the high sierras, it's a real hoot to ride,5 to 35mph in about 2 seconds, with good power to the ground with out going to fast. 3rd gear is really interesting.
Remember about the crash gear, because it's going to happen.
The hondas are very forgiving& easy to get used to. Keep good rubber on it & don't run too much air pressure. Your light weight won't require much,
to keep a good contact patch size. It sounds like you live in Nor. Cal. so
renting at jawbone may be too far to travel, there are many good areas
near you. Good Luck Porkchop...... ;)

Olderthandirt hit the nail right on the head, very, very wise... :nod:

Rider117

Sep 13, 2009
also if i sorta dont know anybody that rides, how can i find a trustworthy person to go trail riding?

Because isnt it bad to go alone?

Garrett T

Oct 22, 2009
im sure on this website theres a norcal ridding group, then again im new to this website, but good luck on your bike!

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
Until you are comfortable on the bike I would say find someone to ride with. There would probably be someone out there that you could ride with. Most people I have met love the sport and would not mind someone riding along. May be different in other areas.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Riding pals/ mentors for rider 117

Greetings Rider117, Porkchop here, do you live near Redding? If so I have an old friend who lives there, he may be able to hook you up with some riders. I,ll contact him & get the ok to trade info.
Best regards, Porkchop... :cool:

Top Bottom