Aug 14, 2007
Many moons ago I owned and rode yz 125's and 250's. I havent rode motocross in 15 years. Iv'e been riding on the street all this time. I just bought a 02 yz426f. I'm sure theres probably newer faster bikes out there today but this bike is just flat out ridiculous. I cant rip on it in any gear without it wanting to flip over. I absolutely can not keep the front tire on the ground. Is there anything I can do?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Of course, the obvious answer is to keep your weight forward, in the attack position. Sit close to the tank with your head over the bars. When standing, if you can't read your number plate, you're not forward enough.

Make sure the sag is set properly on the shock. If the bike is sagged-out, it already has a nose-up attitude.

Aug 14, 2007
Thanks captain. I'm 6'2 250 and while leaning as far forward as humanly possible its still uncontrollable. Explain sag please. The Shock is set at its highest position. An average guy's feet don't touch the ground on this bike but because of my size I do. I would think at its highest point that its nose down. Thanks

Jan 3, 2007
OldheadOffroad, sag is how much the suspension goes down when you sit on it. You measure from your wheel axle to your rear fender. Then set the preload on the shock spring so you have about 100 to 130mm of sag. If i am wrong feel free to correct me. Also, a flywheel weight will also help tame the power of your beast.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
2 strokes is correct - I prefer 105mm. However, stock springs are sized for a rider between 160 to 180 pounds (on average). At 250 pounds, there is no way you'll ever get the shock preload set correctly. Checkout the racetech website and use their suspension calculator to determine the proper spring for your weight and riding style.

Here's some more useful information - the suspension needs to be in balance. Don't forget to check your forks too.

Jun 14, 2007
I have a 01 426. Yea there beastly no doubt but my 03 450 is there a little more in top end.

Just keep riding it and you will adjust to it and will love it.

I had to adjust the hell out of my shocks. Im 6'0 and 250 and it took a while to get it were i wouldn't bottom it out every time i hit something.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
A simple effective way to get used to the power is to use a G2 Ergonomics Progressive throttle cam. It does an excellent job of balancing throttle opening versus "grip twist" . They come with three different cams so you can use what best suits your style. It's a very effective way to learn throttle control on a powerful bike.

tcsbaseimage01.jpg

http://www.g2ergo.com/sitebody/dirt.shtml

Top Bottom