CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Thursday night I was sitting in the family room reading a magazine. Suddenly I had trouble reading and the room began to “spin” I covered my right eye and the spinning seemed to go away. I just figured I was tired and stretched out on the couch and fell a sleep.

About an hour later my wife tried to wake me. She had some difficulty getting me to respond, so she did what she always does, she poured water on me (nice, eh?). I woke up- laughing. However, my wife and son began to say, “what are you doing” and “stop it”. My face had wild contortions that I couldn’t control. I couldn’t get myself off the couch and needed assistance. My son began to cry because of my facial contortions. As I started to tell him that I was OK, all I heard coming out of my mouth was babble. I began to make my way to the bedroom, stumbling all the way. My wife said something about calling 911 but I assured her that I was just tired.

Luckily, I overslept Friday morning. I woke up (I forgot about the episode I had the night before) and my wife asked me how I felt. To reassure her that I was OK, I smiled and told her I was fine. She looked at me in horror and said "your smile is all crooked". I then began to stumble my way to the kitchen. By the time I got there she was on the phone with my doctor. Doc said “bring him right in”. After relating the story to the doctor, he sent me to the hospital for an MRI..

Here’s the bad part. The MRI showed I had a stroke – the neurologist described it as a Transient Ischeimic Attack, or TIA for short.

For those of you that don’t know me or haven’t met me, here’s the part that you need to know about me. I’m 41 and in great physical condition – I run 20 to 25 miles per week, lift weights four times a week, I’m not over weight (185 pounds), don’t smoke or drink more than a few beers a week. My blood pressure is 117/72 (upon receiving the news that I had a stroke no less) and my resting pulse is 66. My last cholesterol test showed that I have a combined number of 137. I’m not the typical poster child for a stroke.

I will get more information from the neurologist on Monday. In the mean time I’ve been put on a blood thinner (Plavix) and aspirin. Most of my symptoms are gone, just 48 hours later…but I’m a little tired.

Hopefully this is just a bump in the road of life. Whether I’m cleared to ride or not, I’ll be at Dirtweek. I’ll do whatever the doctors say, but I will not give-up LIVING my life!

Just wanted my extended family to know what is going on.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Dang Gary, that is truly spooky.

Good luck with the Doc on Monday and be sure to keep us apprised of what is up.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Gary,
Im sorry to hear this and even more suprissed. I hope this is where our similarities end....buddy. Hope all goes well with the doc and he just says to take it easy for a few weeks.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Yikes!!! :yikes:

It's good to hear it wasn't more serious.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Hope you get a handle on this ASAP! I'll be thinking of you, Gary!

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Gary,
I'm just glad to hear that it wasn't more serious. Not that a stroke isn't serious, but it sounds like it could have been much worse. Another riding buddy of mine was diagnosed with colon cancer last year and he's only 38, so I guess you never know and should just live every day to its fullest. But there is a bright side to this...Now that my buddy is canser free after his chemo treatments, his wife let him get the new bike he wanted, she is just so happy that he is still here. Take care of yourself, and let me know if there's anything you need.

Dan

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I hope things turn out ok for you RV!

Just a note... strokes don't care how in shape you are.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I keep hearing very similar stories all around me lately, this guy has cancer, that one a stroke, and they are all in their 40's or there abouts. I'm making a Dr. appt on Monday for an exam. I haven't seen a doc, had a check up or even missed a day of work for illness in over 5 years.
Thanks so much for the wake up call and prayers are with you as you learn more about your ailment and prognosis.

Last edited:

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
Thats bad news. My brother ( age 44 ) had almost exactly the same thing about 6 months ago, same symptons and everything, except that he just woke up in the morning with the symptons with no prior warning. The doc said to take a month off work. His facial symptons disappeared quite quickly, but he had trouble getting his words out for some weeks, very frustrating. I saw him today, and he is back to normal, playing beach ball with the kids etc., and speaking as well as he ever did. However, he does have a small infarction in the brain, which I understand is a small area of the brain which is dead. It doesn't seem to affect him at all. He has never smoked, doesn't drink and is not overweight, but is quite tall ( 6'8" ) and I believe that taller individuals may be more prone to this sort of event. He has been told that basically its just bad luck, and that he is not much more likely than anyone else to have another one. However, if there is a good thing about this it is that this small stroke flagged up the fact that he may be prone to this sort of thing without doing much damage, and now enables preventative measures such as aspirin etc. I hope that your experience is no worse than his, but of course it was quite worrying for those closest to him, in fact more so than for him. Good luck.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Holy cow Gary! I would have never pegged you for one to find himself in that situation, uh-uh, not in a million. That must have been scary as hell for you and your family. Keep that positive attitude.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Gary - very scary. I remembered you saying you were having troubles in chat. Hang tough, man, we'll see you at DW :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Wow, that's unreal! Gary, take care and hang in there. We're thinking about ya. Please keep us posted on your progress.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Take care of yourself, and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for good news for you.

Top Bottom