Status
Not open for further replies.

Heckler

Jul 22, 2002
I'm in a motorcycle forum about "what bike do I get", yet, when I ask what bike to get, the moderators just lock my post and tell me to do a search because it's been discussed before... I'm sorry, but you shouldn't put up a forum like this if you're going to tell everyone who asks that question to do a search.

You know what? Half these post titles are vague and the discussion changes throughout the thread. You want me to read EVERY post, to find some half ass answer to my questions?

You moderators can't even spell from the responses I've read, where you lock other peoples post. I might have had an answer to my question by now. DON'T READ THIS FORUM IF YOU GET TIRED OF THE SAME QUESTIONS!!! How the hell else am I supposed to ask. I recommend finding a new forum, one who isn't moderated by goons. Everyone else should do the same. This place is LAME. There is no real information here anyway.

2 stroke 250 or 4 stroke 450, simple as that. Now, If anyone with atleast a 2 digit I.Q. could respond, that would be great... No, wait, this post has been locked or deleted hasn't it. Oh well. What did I expect from a site whos very name is a rip-off of the popular dirtrider magazine with a .net added to the end. Later.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
allow me...i would go with the 450. i like 4 strokes because you don't have to rebuild the top end as much. they tend to be heavier, altho the new yamy 450 has slimmed down much since i got my 426.there! darn stinkin, rippin' offin' dirtrider'n mag title no answerin' bad spelling mean meanies at dang moderators! plus, you can check peoples' profiles and ask about a spfc bike, pm them or something.maybe wayneo 426 or rich rorhich, they know thier stuff

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Wish I could say it was a pleasure but the only pleasure to this thread will be that it will most likely be your last! Don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out!

Jh85

May 17, 2001
Try the search button next time, it'll make things easier :D

Ok ok
http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33045

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33608

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37678

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38422

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43052

Some of these posts don't pertain to the bikes you speak of, but they will give you some 2 v. 4 info, hopefully :)

I want to get a new dirt bike, but I'm torn between a 2 stroke or a big bore 4 stroke. The Honda CR250, 125, and CRF450R are my main contendors. I'd like to do some hard trail riding and moderate jumping. There are plenty of places here in Georgia to do just about anykind of riding, so I'll need someting that can do it all.

I grew up on an 82' Honda XL100 trail bike, and currently have a 929RR street bike. I've never owned a 2 stroke so I am reluctant to get one, seeing as how I'll have to rebuild the top end. Also, I don't know if I'll need a 125 or 250, being 6 ft. 150 pounds... I just don't know how to care for a 2 stroke like I do a 4. Guess I'm spoiled by the low maintenance of 4's.

Power, good suspension, reliability, and low maintenance are what I'm after. I might sacrifice the low maintenance for the sheer power and flickability of a 2 stroke. The XRs just look boring to me... Any suggestions?

Like Mr. Ivan says, there have been a lot of good posts on this topic.

I would'nt purchase a bike just based on I don't want to have to do topends on it. Buy the bike that fits your riding style/needs. I'm sure someone else has some better adice.

You might also want to check out this post:
http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53569

Good stuff ;)

O and the IQ comment
http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49879
I think you've come to the wrong place :p

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
I was just about to flame the exact opposite of this. The mods have been more than patient and tolerant in this forum (too much in some cases). I understand when the person has special circumstances, but most of the threads in this forum are just repeats of each other, alomst to the point where if a person were to look at the thread under theirs they could answer their own question.

This site probably takes up a huge amount of web space and on top of the usual stuff, you want them to allow the same stuff over and over? You do know this site isn't free to operate right?

Everybody likes to be spoon-fed info, it's not like the search costs anything. Investigate for yourself sometime.

Last edited:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
The issue is this when you do not do a search YOU ARE DISRESPECTING those who are willing to help. The members who help here go out of their way to give valuable information. They do not need someone coming in here and DEMANDING that their question get answered when it has already been discussed within the last 20 days.

Most of the topics I close I DO A SEARCH ON prior to shutting the thread down and if it has been discussed in the last month than the thread goes bye bye.

Don't like it? Don't come here then. I really don't care.

We are here to HELP and part of wanting help is respecting those that want to give it to you. If you are so selfish as to think that you are entitled to receive information without having to do a search then I don't feel bad closing your thread.

You think this place stinks? I don't care. Leave then. We won't miss you asking about the same thing that was asked yesterday b/c you were too LAZY to search for it.

I respect those that trully want help and APPRECIATE those that have been helping more than I care what some lazy person who wants everything handed to them thinks.

Ivan

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
The only problem with this forum is that no one can tell you "what bike to get." We can all tell you what we have done and what we like or what the mags have said but just because I say the superscickle xyz 236 is the best bike on the planet doesn't mean you will like it. Most competative brands and models will be found in the top 10 of any pro race except for a few exotics that are under represented in the US. It is your responsibility to look at the specs and results, sit on the bike and ride one if you can.

the topic should be called what bike do you like.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Actually, I agree a lot with that statement but there have been a few really great threads. The XR650 thread a while back is one that I remember for having a lot of great information that was very helpful for those looking for dualsports.

If we can keep the signal to noise down in here we will have more threads like that. Ones that are trully helpful.

Ivan

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
Originally posted by Truespode
Actually, I agree a lot with that statement but there have been a few really great threads. The XR650 thread a while back is one that I remember for having a lot of great information that was very helpful for those looking for dualsports.

If we can keep the signal to noise down in here we will have more threads like that. Ones that are trully helpful.

Ivan

I agree. If we can get posts that ask for specifics about a type of riding, a bikes power delivery, handling under particular conditions we could have a very good forum. The this bike vs. that bike gets old fast.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
It's all in the name ;)

BTW Why do all the people that get mad, always bring up spelling :think:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
With a name like Heckler, what do you expect??

I have met Ivan and he seems to be quite intelligent and a decent spellerer. I do worry a little about Gomer sometimes but that is a different story.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by JamesP
I have met Ivan and he seems to be quite intelligent and a decent spellerer. I do worry a little about Gomer sometimes but that is a different story.

Gomer is not the one to worry about :)

Ivan

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
i wonder about my initial questions about which bike to buy. i got all my info from bike mags and did not really understand certain aspects of the whole choice thing and by the way i've modified my bike it's pretty obviuos that i was close, but off the mark.i wouldn't mind answering the same basic question because i bet if investigated a little more we would find the questions are very different after certain information is obtained that would not be addressed in any particular thread that starts out the same. short case in point. one of the reasons i bought a wr426 instead of yz 426, was because i read how "powerfull the hit" was, had i been able to discuss this point with some one before hand i believe i would have been given a less hyperbolic description of the yz426 power characteristics. but, the point is, i would have started the line of questioning the same way i did in the thumper forum. which do i get, TTR 250 or wr426. i can see the total difference between the choices now, but i didn't find the aspects addressed when i did a search. my point is, maybe we should not slam some one for asking the same question over and over, because they might not be. band with is band with and if you have to piggy back a thread with 6 or 7 replies before the "root" is adressed, it's the same as asking the same question one more time. this doesn't address the knuckle head "heckler" but i thought this the time to let my point arise. heck, close the thread and have them pm me, i'll answer any questions with my thimble full of knowledge. ;)

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by sfc crash
my point is, maybe we should not slam some one for asking the same question over and over, because they might not be. band with is band with and if you have to piggy back a thread with 6 or 7 replies before the "root" is adressed, it's the same as asking the same question one more time. this doesn't address the knuckle head "heckler" but i thought this the time to let my point arise. heck, close the thread and have them pm me, i'll answer any questions with my thimble full of knowledge. ;)

If you notice the threads that I have closed have been by users that have been members for a day or so and have very few posts. The posts also do not have any information to allow anyone to help them.

I am 5'7" and want a yz125 or a yz250f. Which one should I buy?

That is totally bs. Give us some info. It's in the rules of this forum. I am not going to let this forum be an annex of the off-topic forum.

My personal philosophy is that this forum is here to help and if you want help you will give us the information we need to help you the best.

That is why a search is important. It can help those that really don't know what to ask find out what has been asked before and learn a little. Then they can ponder those posts awhile and give us a detailed post with what they want specifically.

If all they are asking is "is a 2-stroke better than a 4-stroke" than this forum is not the place for them. This forum is for helping individuals understand what to look for in a bike and that is a very personal thing that requires specific information.

Do a search on the dumbass questions or I'll close it down. Ask specific questions and you'll get help all day long and instead of closing threads we'll reference other threads that may be of help as well.

Thanks
Ivan

PS... look at the PW thread if you want an example of a good question. We have plenty like that. My favorite so far is the XR650 dualsport thread.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
ok....here's a specific question...how do I search the ENTIRE forum?? I oftne go to run a search, happen to choose a specif forum that doesn't contain any info, and then have to sit there and wait 60 seconds or more because I am only allowed to run one search in that time frame. Which option searches ALL OF THEM?

Kx Steve H

May 1, 2002
JamesP: i totally agree make searching easyier! allow us to search the whole data base at one time, i bet someone could find i lot more information "jewels" that are scatter through out the site.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
You can't search the entire site. It just takes up too much space and resources.

You have to just tolerate the 60 second rule. Sorry.

Honestly, if you can't wait 60 seconds between searches then you aren't really being patient enough or reviewing any of the posts you just searched. Does someone's inability to be patient mean they should be able to post whatever they want?

I know it is frustrating but it is like that for a reason. Mostly b/c it takes a lot of resources on the servers to do a search.

FWIW, I'm not upset or mad about any of this. I'm taking it all in stride and just being very matter of fact about what I think. I have no problem with people disagreeing or anything. I welcome criticism and other ideas. That doesn't mean I'll change how I do things but I don't get upset by it :)

Ivan

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
FWIW, if I only get three results (or no results as I clearly indicated) it doesn't take sixty seconds to review them. Honestly, I don't think this indicates an inability to be patient. Matter of fact, it simply penalizes the people who are doing what you ask by searching.

I suppose you can dedicate the resources to searches, you could dedicate the resources to space for people asking questions, or I guess you can use up resources closing threads and explaining to people why they aren't allowed to ask redundant questions and/or run better searches.

Looks like you are stuck with the third....SORRY :confused:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
The only reason I'm leaving this one open anyway is so when people start to complain in the future about me closing their threads I can tell them to search for this thread :)

We could be like other boards and have no searches or poor searching ability with no supervision or set of rules at all. For some reason, I think the way things are done here works pretty good overall.

Ivan

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
The only reason I'm leaving this one open anyway is so when people start to complain in the future about me closing their threads I can tell them to search for this thread :)

LOL...Good idea!!

We could be like other boards and have no searches or poor searching ability with no supervision or set of rules at all. For some reason, I think the way things are done here works pretty good overall.

Overall...I agree.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by Shift-MX
Hey heckler, dont let the door hit your ass on the way out.

That was uncalled for. Heckler just doesn't like the rules. He has not caused any further issues so there is no reason to ban him.

There are a lot of members who have come in here and pissed off a lot of people only to eventually become great assets to the site.

He expressed his criticism and didn't take it further. No need for us to slam him further. He'll either follow the rules and stay or leave. His choice.

Now... if he was causing a lot of problems then I'd have given a :) to this post :p

Ivan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom