We wanted to let you know that we've added a fourth motorcycle to our 2002
line-up. The new model, the X440S, features our twin-spar perimeter aluminum
frame, updated 432cc reversed cylinder head engine, new body plastics, and
recalibrated Ohlins suspension front and rear. The engine's electronic
fuel-injection has been dramatically improved with the addition of a Sagem
MC1000 ECU and field-tunable GP Control software. Best of all, the X440S
carries a very sweet retail price of $5,995 and it will be available at the
end of July.

We have high and low-res images of the new X440S (and the upcoming X440)
available on our FTP site. PLEASE NOTE: WE ASK THAT YOU HOLD-OFF ON
PUBLISHING EITHER OF THE IMAGES OR ANY INFORMATION ON THE NEW X440S UNTIL
JULY 5, 2001. Thanks for your cooperation on that.

Cheers -

Tom Armstrong

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
I feel so sneeky ;) Cool, looks like a C-Dale for the masses and quite a few updates as well. I hope in the future they are able to achieve the sucess that they've worked for.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Did anyone else notice the GP Control sticker on the side of the Cannondale?

GP Control is a 3D Programmable Engine Management System product that Optimum Power's Phil McDowell (aka PhilDirt on DRN, and the Chief Technology Officer of Rev! Motorcycles) is heavily involved in. Phil is Optimum's Senior Development Engineer on the product

Look out for Cannondale , they've brought in the BIG GUNS now so you can count on the fact that they are DEADLY serious about building a fully competitive race bike. WAY TO GO CANNONDALE, I can't wait to ride one, and at that price you may even sway my heart away from blue thumpers :)

A little blurb from Optimum's website:
5/25/01 - OPTIMUM and Cannondale To Work Together On Fuel Injection Technology

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, May 25, 2001 - OPTIMUM Power Technology and Cannondale have announced that the two companies are working together to develop advanced fuel injection technologies.
The partnership is a perfect alliance, according to Cannondale director Scott Montgomery. "Cannondale makes innovative, high-performance, fuel-injected motorcycles and ATVs, and OPTIMUM has a proven track record with state-of-the-art fuel-injection hardware and software," said Montgomery. Adam Green, Vice-President of Sales for OPTIMUM, agreed. "Cannondale's MX400 and FX400 have already been recognized for their pioneering features, and the company's leadership with electronic fuel-injection is sure to be emulated by their rivals," said Green. "We're looking forward to helping Cannondale stay ahead of the competition, by working together to take their fuel-injection systems to even higher levels of performance."

Cannondale is the world's premier manufacturer of high-performance bicycles. The company officially entered the motorsports industry in May of last year when they began shipping their MX400 motorcycle. The company expanded its offerings in February when it began production of its FX400 ATV. Both products feature lightweight aluminum frames, and both utilize a fuel-injected, electric-start engine with a one-piece crankcase, cassette transmission, separate engine and clutch oils, and a reversed cylinder head with dual overhead-cams.

OPTIMUM manufactures the GP Control system, a state-of-the-art software and hardware fuel injection engine management system that allows dealers, teams, racers and riders to have full control over engine performance. Borne out of OPTIMUM's heritage in Grand Prix racing, GP Control has proven itself in this most competitive class of world championship racing.

Details of the agreement were not disclosed.

For more info on GP Control
http://www.optimum-power.com/main-mgmt.htm

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
too cool....

Looks like the bugs have been ironed out, and this time Cannondale means business. Not only do the bikes look hot, they are sure to be a success derived from a major effort in R&D. They really did the right thing by ceasing production of the 400, and coming back strong with the new bikes. Cant wait to see one up close, and at $5995, I would bet many potential CRF owners will have to re-think their buying strategies! You gotta love those "Made in the USA" swingarm stickers!

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I think that the price is looking a lot better. I welcome the new technology like the Fuel injection. I would like to see one up close and maybe take a test ride. It will be a consideration when the time comes for a new ride. Out of the box its less than the MSRP of the new Honda. Plus its American made. Hopefully parts won't be as much and will be available. I don't think that I will see a dealer in my area unless the bicycle shop starts selling them or one of the local guys decides its time to start selling them.

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
Fuel injection seems like the ticket for us flatlanders that make frequent trips to the mountains. I truly hope this works out for them this time around, love to see that new technology finally make it to the dirt bike world.

OH MAN! I hadn't looked at the pictures before I posted, what a freaking machine. What's the difference between the S & non-S models? That pricing was probably the single smartest thing they could have done to re-enter the market. Hell at that price why not give one a whirl. Are they e-start? Not that it matters since I have to kick my 'berg half the time anyway....:scream:

Last edited:

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
All I get when I visit the sites is pictures of bicycles. What folders do I nned to enter to see the new bike? Jeeze, I HATE being a computer MORON!

The bike sounds great. Now I have WAY to many options for a next bike. 250f, 125, a 250, the cdale.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
July 5th! That's almost 2 weeks away! Come on Okie--you can trust 7000 of your good friends to keep it under their hats!:p

Sierra Flash

Dec 29, 2000
New Cannondale's

I doubt if any CRF Honda buyers will be asking for their deposit back and
I doubt Honda will have to lower the price due to this competition. It will
still be get in line and take a number for the Honda.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Has anybody heard any more about the rumour that Aprillia is looking at buying Cannondale (at least the Motor Division, I assume)?

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Oh, man, what did you do take the picts down???? Doooohhhhhhh! Well at least I have a C-dale dealer near by. Wont it be cool getting software with your new bike? :cool: Just imagine deleteing the gray wire from the map! Now you gotta make room for a laptop in the tool box though :( .Maybe you get a cool knight rider wrist watch too! C-dale, I need you buddy, turbo boost! :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by JasonJ
Now you gotta make room for a laptop in the tool box though

Then again MAYBE NOT :)

Optimum has addressed that specific issue. This is from the GP Control brochure:

"GP Control kits include PC software that allows you to manipulate individual map values and download new maps directly to the ECU. The software is fully Windows-compatible and can run on most PCs. We include a download cable and a manual that guides you through the program's screens as well as provides tips and tricks on a better setup!

Ok, ok…you're worried about your laptop surviving at the track. So were we. That's why we developed a PalmPC version of our PC calibration program. These small devices are perfect for field use and allow you to perform modifications to all calibration maps just like a full-sized PC. They fit in your pocket and can also store your friend's phone numbers when you call them after you've won the race! "

The guys from Optimum showed Eric and I some of the functionality of the system and it's really impressive. Can't wait to play with it on the Cannondale, and more importantly to see Jody Weisel EAT HIS WORDS :p

For those who want some additional info on the GP Control system here's a link to the FAQ

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
That would be awesome if MXA had to actually print a positive article about the Cannondale! Dirt Bike has at least tried to be positive about the bikes, while we all know Dirt Rider has their nose up C-dale's backside over the "Bike of the Year" selection a while ago.

I can't wait either, Rich!:p

erblr

Jun 1, 2000
:scream: Please somebody! Tell me how to view these pics... I cant get on the ftp site as an anonymous user and I am dying to see these pics!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
XRP - The coolest thing is we have a connection with Optimum so DRN will be the place where the best and most in-depth information on the system will be found :) Wait till you see what we have planned HEHEHEHE

I'll send some Tabasco to Jody so the crow he'll be eating tastes better :p

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich

I'll send some Tabasco to Jody so the crow he'll be eating tastes better :p

Are there tickets available to watch him do it? If so I'll take two front row please.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
What does the "S" in X440S stand for, is this a dual sport version, if not are Cannondale planning an E440S dual sport ?

Can't wait to see the bike !

Alan

Top Bottom