This is not my year!!!!!!!!!! Aaarrrggghhh! :(

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
So far this year, I have been struck by lightning, hit by an RV which gave me a concussion, tore my left AC Rotator Cuff and got another concussion two weeks ago and then this weekend, tried to get away to the mountains for a little R & R and got a severe case of poison Ivy. I mean it is every where, absolutely everywhere. Even where men cringe to think about. How the heck did that happen, I don't know. :eek:

I got a new MX Bike in January after being 13 years without thinking I will get back into racing this year. This was one of the top ten (OK maybe 20) most important decisions I have made in the last 10 years. What do I get, nothing but bad luck since. It seems so darn easy to hop on the bike, work out and start racing. But with all the other factors, I have spent more time off the bike than on and will probably spend another 4 weeks more off it because of this AC Rotator cuff, concussion and Poison Ivy.

I have to think positive... I just celebrated my 10th wedding anniversary this weekend, in the MTs. (with poison Ivy in all the wrong spots mind you), I got a new bike this year, and I just bought a new (new to me) '96 T100 pickup. Most important, both feet still make it to the ground (knock on wood).

Anyone want to buy a Big Dark Cloud that is looming over my head by any chance? It's for sale cheap. In fact, I'll pay someone to take it.

Thanks for listening flame board. I just had to vent a little.

Andy

Last edited:

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
Thanks ST. That's what I am doing, trying to focus on the good things, because the bad ones will always be there. 10 years of marriage definitly has brought it's own challanges, but I am looking forward to another 100+ years. My wife I think is 90% of the reason that I can throw an ounce of humor at most of this years events. If it wasn't for her, I'd be wearing a straight jacket and staying at the Padded Wall Hotel. :D

Your websites looking good BTW. :)

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
Actually, we went to Grandfather MT in NW NC. It stands at 5900+ FT. It's impressive in the fact that it is the highest peak in the Blue Ridge and just to the south, on a clear day, you can see Mt. Mitchell which is the highest peak in the east and also Charlotte, NC. Unfortunatly, it was not a clear day. But man it was awsome. The wind was whipping in at around 30MPH and the clouds and mist were just flying by. They have a Mile-High swinging bridge there that goes between two ridges. I spent quite a bit of time on it trying to take pictures the best I could. My wife on the other hand, scared to death of heights, sprinted across the bridge. Kudos to her for at least crossing it. Overall, we had a good time. Maybe not as impressive as what the folks in CO experience, but I'll take what I can get, especially this year.

Last edited:

Old CR goat

Sponsoring Member
Nov 10, 2000
It is beautiful in that area. I lived in Blairsville Ga. for 5 years, miss the mountains. Rode a cruiser back then, all through the area, GA.,TN.,NC.
We go back to visit about twice a year.

awilson40

Apr 13, 2001
Sorry Andy...

It does seem that the crap all piles up at once. I hope your luck turns around.
I went nose down vertical off a jump last Sunday and ended up with a broken left arm. Its a clean break, so should heal nicely. I think I was knocked out, 'cuz I dont remember much after watching my forks compress, but no concussion.
The bike wasnt hurt a bit !!!
Hang in there, things will turn around.

canucklehead

Apr 13, 2000
Okay, I'll bite... How did you get struck by lightning and survive? Wasn't anyone ELSE wondering that? Do tell... I'm assuming it was an indirect strike, or else you'd most likely be cooked :confused:

Dave

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
Canucklehead, actually It was determined that I was hit by a very small branch of lightning while I was in bed. It threw me off he bed onto my rearend and according to my wife, I was on my back for about fifteen minutes shaking all over the place. I was just about throwing up and everything looked like a negative from a photograph for a while. I was numb as all heck to. It all seemed to go away after a couple hours, but man I was shaken up for about a week. Strange stuff, eh!

IDkTm, I nailed an RV in my Corolla back in April. I have made a few posts here about it. Basicly the stupid RV driver turned left across all three lanes in front of me while I was driving 50 down a highway. Nowhere to go. Man if I hit that while riding my KX250, that would be the end of it for sure.

Pictures of wounded Corolla:

<http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1604850&a=13666506>

Awilson, That crash sounds familiar. Went to clear a triple (which I preffered not to do, but couldnt help myself) and I endoed on top of the last jump. That led to torn AC Rotator cuff and 2nd concussion for the year. Man I hope your arm heals up quick. It kind of sucks to be down.

Last edited:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
MX265,
Sorry to hear about your misfortune and I hope you stick with it and fully recover BUT, I suddenly feel so much better about my life ;)

I know about lightening. When I was a kid I was helping my dad put a folding camper down before a big storm. The camper was hit by lightening while I was holding onto it. It threw my right on the ground and scared the crap out of me! I’ll never forget it.

Byrd Man

Aug 24, 2000
MX265, Grandfather mountain sounds cool. I need to go there, I love swinging bridges. About your bad luck. Just think of it as good luck, because it could have been alot worse. I am sure your problems pale in comparison to many folks. Probably some DRN'ers out there who have had a very crappy year.
The poison ivy story reminded me of a camping trip I went on when I was still in high school. We went to Rock Creek in N. Ga. One of my friends took a dump in the woods and decided to use some nice green leaves to wipe with. Well, you can guess what kind of leaves they were (Hehe). It tore his arse up. He ended up pretty sick and had to go to the hospital for treatment and we all got a good laugh out of it. :p

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
Originally posted by Byrd Man

The poison ivy story reminded me of a camping trip I went on when I was still in high school. We went to Rock Creek in N. Ga. One of my friends took a dump in the woods and decided to use some nice green leaves to wipe with. Well, you can guess what kind of leaves they were (Hehe). It tore his arse up. He ended up pretty sick and had to go to the hospital for treatment and we all got a good laugh out of it. :p

Yeeeassh! And I thought these past few months have been a pain in the Arse! That's truly a literal pain. How many years did it take for your friend to recover physicly and psycologicaly? I'd never go into the woods again.

RMguy, lightning just comes out of nowhere, does'nt it. No umbles of thunder, no sounds, all of a sudden blam and your like "What the heck was that". I don't know about you, but afterwards, everything sounded like my head was stuck in a long tube for awhile. Everything seemed to echo. I'll never forget that sound.

Heres a good site for info if anyone is interested in lightning strikes:

http://www.mindspring.com/~lightningstrike/

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by canucklehead
Okay, I'll bite... How did you get struck by lightning and survive? Wasn't anyone ELSE wondering that? Do tell... I'm assuming it was an indirect strike, or else you'd most likely be cooked :confused:

Dave

Actually I was thinking what the odds of being struck by lightning is? It must be about the same a winning the lottery, and you better go buy a ticket quick, when your luck changes it might swing all the way the other direction.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by HiG4s

Actually I was thinking what the odds of being struck by lightning is? It must be about the same a winning the lottery, and you better go buy a ticket quick, when your luck changes it might swing all the way the other direction.
Actually, you have a far greater chance of being struck by lightning than you do of single-handedly winning a Lottery jackpot. Statistically, there are something like 29 lightning strikes a second somewhere on the Earth at any given time. That's a lot of chances for someone to be struck. I am curious as to how you were struck in bed, while laying next to your wife, but she wasn't struck? I think she is the one that should be playing the lottery, her luck is obviously better than yours.;)

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
Actually, my wife was in bed. She was holding onto me and when she woke up, she was hanging over the side of the bed looking down at me from what she says. She said that she woke up and saw me shaking all over the place and tried to wake me up. The whole thing seems rather remarkable. I think I got the brunt of it because I was the end of the chain. I read a story online of another couple that were laying in bed and they saw a flash go by and then it turned out to be quite a few hours later and they were still sitting in the same position. They can't account for any of the time. Strange stuff. I hardly beleive it either but from what people have told me, what I have read and the expressions on the people that I work with when they saw me the next day, and the symptoms, I guess it did happen. My Dr. also concludes the same thing. Spanky, you know what the lightning is like in the North Georgia area. My house sits at 1000' in Acworth less than a mile from Lake Acworth. That's like a lightning magnet over there. No big deal now, but people still remind me of it frequently in work. Every time I do something innacurate so to speak, they ask if I have gotten over the lightning strike yet or was it the RV accident, or ......

Top Bottom