Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
As reported on www.MotoGP.com:

Grand Prix Commission provide update on 600cc class plans

Saturday, 27 September 2008
Following a Grand Prix Commission meeting at Motegi on Saturday the FIM have announced some changes to the Road Racing World Championship Grand Prix Regulations.

Future of the 250cc class - MSMA decided unanimously to propose to the Grand Prix Commission the following as from 2011: 4-stroke, 4-cylinder maximum, 600cc maximum engines, free chassis. A detailed proposal will be studied by the other members of the Commission.

FIM Observed Trials has already started moving towards all four-strokes, and as GP road racing follows it will be increasingly difficult for manufacturers to justify two-stroke engine development costs, if they have no place to showcase the technology.

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
That stinks. I'm glad i got to see them at Indy before they switched. I wish i would have been able to see them back in the 500 days. Oh well.

ericz103

Aug 18, 2006
Does any one know how much if any R&D any major companies are still doing on 2 strokes? What's holding them back from new technologies such as direct injection on dirtbikes? They seem to have proved a worthy competitor again for outboard boat motors...
I haven't really read or seen much about the subject at all from trustable resources, so I really don't know much.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
You keep riding them two stokes and pretty soon the face of the planet will burst into flames from global warming!

I have no problem for advancing the research in four stroke technology for off road use, and heck if some companies decide not to produce new two strokes in their latest line-ups I can't stop that either. But saying that you can't ride a two stroke seems a bit over the edge to me. Correct me if im wrong but I believe most outboard engines (2 strokes) have the exhaust going down the drive shaft or towards the water where emissions are trapped in the lake or body of water you ride in. And thats much better for the environment... :|

ericz103

Aug 18, 2006
your right about most outboards having underwater exhaust, but I thought they still cleaned up the emissions on them alot on newer 2 strokes

Top Bottom