duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
Its spring and all this mud is killing me... Running bridgestone m204 tire with 8lbs/in and its been a great tire... Pretty aggressive tread. I think I need something even more aggressive for spring... The ground is soft and theres mud EVERYWHERE. We have lots of rocks too but I have way more trouble with mud than rocks... What a good tire for really goopy stuff? How about wider than stock sized? Whats the widest I can run?

Also pic... Because its related. See? MUD!
WP_000666.jpg

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I've run all kinds of tires and NOTHING will get through that type of chit....well, maybe a paddle?

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
Figures that's there's no help for me... On the bright side that video was sweet so thanks for posting it. We got some areas like those... My strategy is generally avoidance.

I'm in eastern, ky... Pretty much a riding Mecca...

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
try the Bridgestone M101/102 combo.

The M203/204 combo is great, but when it is super sloppy the M101/102's are super great.

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
the s12 michilin is where my money would go but please be sure to buy the 130 width tyre (for some reason these tyres are marked much bigger than they really are) as a 120 will chunk easily. Many people have been sold the undesize 120 and hated the tyre for the ease of chunking but the only thing that will be invincible in that mud is a hillclimb steel paddle (oh my poor clutch)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I'm a big fan of the Michelin S12 for all around riding, and it is what I usually run in either desert sand or mountain loam/mud. Their 130 is the same width as a 110 Dunlop.

However, in the rocks, the S12 rear does chunk badly, especially the side knobs. The one on my bike now has plenty of center knob left, but nearly all the side knobs are torn. Love everything else about the tire, but rocky trails just eat it up.

For rocks, the rear tires that seem to last the longest are trials tires. Not sure how they do in the mud, but I might try one next time I buy a tire.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
We rode in some pretty endless mud yesterday. I was on Maxxis ITs and my brother is on an S12 rear. Honestly, the IT was holding a better line in the slick stuff but the S12 was digging a bit better when things got really deep. The maxxis seemed to load up a bit more than the michelin. If we rode more deep mud I'd try a wider spaced knob but I'd say I'm happy with the ITs. As soon as you get out of the deep mud it seems to hook up better than the S12. The IT got me up a pretty vertical 20ft climb with a creek and mud pit at the bottom, I can't complain, lol. ;)

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I ride in an area with heavy mud and big rocks (the place is called Big Rock), and have yet to chunk a knob, and I have an FMF with the Eric Gore 225 kit.

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
reepicheep said:
I ride in an area with heavy mud and big rocks (the place is called Big Rock), and have yet to chunk a knob, and I have an FMF with the Eric Gore 225 kit.

In KY? There's a big rock offroad park here but I've never been. I heard its awesome though.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone... Might try S12 in 130 size... I have not had problem with damage in the rocks yet so hoepfully I won't trade one problem for another.... Just gotta get the top end buttoned back up first.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Heck yeah! I was there at Big Rock with the whole family and neighbor's family (8 bikes between us) all day Friday. Great place, great riding! A "must ride" destination. Family friendly on the easy ridges (many miles of them), and lots of challenging stuff in the valleys.

It overlooks Maysville Kentucky.

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
Cool... Yeah I live in lee county (next to natural bridge) there must be close to 1000 miles of trails accessible from my house so i have not yet taken any trips that required a trailer (though the trips to Jackson county probably would be trailered trips by most people's standards). Currently working on exploring an area known as "devils creek) but keep getting thwarted by the Kentucky river backing up into the creeks... Last Saturday i found my path unexpectedly blocked by 8ft of cold water :(

I'll definitely try to make it out there out sometime though.... Picked up a brochure at gateway cycles in mt sterling and it looked cool.
If you ever come to lee county hit me up and ill show you around.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Farmer John said:
try the Bridgestone M101/102 combo.
Good advice.
I put a 102 on the rear of my 200, for deep sand moreso than for mud, but it does a very good job.
There are several good sand/mud tires on the market. Stay with the original size for best results; too large a tire will be more load in deep sand or heavy mud than you want. That's been my experience, anyway.

Top Bottom