slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
most everyone that went to DW02 knows that my son was one of the carnage casualties by trying to determine if an RM250 would substitute as a bottle opener and using his head as the bottle, managed to pretty well trash his helmet. The upside of this is the helmet did exactly what it was designed to do, take the force of the blow and direct it away from his skull. The THOR SVS he was wearing did an excellent job.
When we got home I put the helmet up on the wall and finally got around to writing an overdue letter of thanks to THOR apparel. Not really expecting to gear anything back I was pleasantly surprised to have an e-mail waiting on me the next day...

Dear Hal,

We are very happy to hear that your son escaped what sounds to be a pretty gnarly crash without any major injury. As you may already know a helmet is designed to sacrifice itself in order to protect the person that is wearing it. It seems, from looking at that picture of the helmet, that is exactly what it did. We are also very pleased at your confidence in our product and we would like to offer you a replacement THOR Helmet free of charge. I would
also like to get that helmet that you have back so we may examine it, as we are always trying to improve our products even on our proven designs. If you could please send me the old helmet along with return shipping information and color/ size choice, I would be happy to send you a new THOR helmet.

Ship to
THOR Motocross
attn. Bob Ketchum
2040 Gillespie Way, El Cajon, CA. 92020.

Looking forward to talking with you soon.

Best Regards,
Bob Ketchum
bketchum@thormx.com

I just wanted people to know that there are still manufacturers who believe in their product and care about the customer enough to back up what they advertise.
A BIG thumbs up from me to all the folks at THOR apparel!

here's a pic of the damage (courtesy of MikeB) but it doesn't do justice

Attachments

• thor_svs.jpg
    thor_svs.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 351

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Classy move, I don't know about you but things like this do influence my decision when it's time to replace stuff. Well done to them and I am also glad that your boy is OK! :thumb:

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Glad to hear it :thumb:  Its realy great when a company does things like that.  I'm glad to see that they want to study the helmet to see if it can be improved. 

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by 96whyzee125
Great job Thor! and Bob, glad your lil guy is ok.
Ahhhh Dave that lil guy is at least 6'1" :worship: .
Proves the point of buying quality as it did it's job and the fact that they want to study the helmet for possible improvements is even better :thumb:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Very cool of them indeed. Its refreshing to heat things of that nature these days. How is 'liitle no mo ' doing by the way. He seemed pretty good even the day after but you never know with those head bangers?

You guys planning on Dallas or Vegas SX this year? Its never too soon to start the planning you know :)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
It's great that you took the time to write Thor, and the response from them was even better. I had a chance to go out to dinner w/ Bob at a dealer event up in Marquette, Michigan this past fall. Really nice guy, class act.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
That's a good move for both you and anyone who buys thor products. As with any testing conducted by companies they can't know just how their products will work in the real world, but by seeing how it performed and making improvements it will in turn make future gear safer. A great move by thor though, I've always liked their stuff :thumb:

B

biglou

Hal, that's great!  :thumb:

I always try to send a word of thanks to sponsors and also to companies whose products I use and am pleased with. When I called DecalWorks to tell them that their preprinted backgrounds were great, they were taken by surprise!  They said people have only called to complain prior to that! 

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Great timing. I am looking for a helmet today. I could not decide between a Thor or an HJC.. I just decided. Not that I expect the same kind of treatment, but it is nice to know they care!

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by BigLou
Hal, that's great!  :thumb:

I always try to send a word of thanks to sponsors and also to companies whose products I use and am pleased with. When I called DecalWorks to tell them that their preprinted backgrounds were great, they were taken by surprise!  They said people have only called to complain prior to that! 

I have called company's to tell them how pleased I was with their product also. I would get a pause like they did not know what to say they were totally blown away.It also feels good as a consumer to let the company know they are doing their job and put out a descent product.

agnOstos

Jul 23, 2002
I just bought a dirtbike after a couple years of riding a buddy's spare every once in awhile. I have to buy the full gamut of riding apparel. Every thing that I can possibly get in Thor that fits and what-not will be Thor. Thanks for the story.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Very cool. :cool:

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by TTRGuy
Very cool of them indeed. Its refreshing to heat things of that nature these days. How is 'liitle no mo ' doing by the way. He seemed pretty good even the day after but you never know with those head bangers?

You guys planning on Dallas or Vegas SX this year? Its never too soon to start the planning you know :)

Eddie,
No_Mo is fine. Should be back riding in a week or so. His KX is still in pieces, but he's getting the itch to try out the EGORR upgrades.
We will definitely be doing the Dallas SX, likely the Houston SX also. A thrid could be on the list but we will have to see how the fundage goes ;)

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
just to finish the story here, I got home last night to find a box in the driveway.  True to their word, Thor sent us a brand new SVR-2 helmet.  It's definitely an update from No_mo's original.

Props out to Thor...  They made a lifelong customer out of me :cool:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
SO, the old helmet is no longer for sale? (drats) LOL....:)

Great to hear that things worked out well on the helmet!
BTW....no'mo needs to plan on joining me and the guys of Dirtbag next year!

Top Bottom