Thor Force...Lack of Protection!?!

DEX

Jun 11, 2003
I was just kind of alerted to the fact that the Thor Force Chest Protector may not be as great as I had imagined I currently wear a 661 Full Defender and love it but figured the new Thor Force would be a step up in safety and comfort....But from another post below I see that the Thor Force may not protect shoulders well at all. Is this still a problem with the bicep guards? Will the Bicep guards keep the shoulder where they are supposed to be?
If not I really got to find out and change the chest protector on my booking order from the Thor Force to the 661 Defender 2.
If the bicep guards fix the problem then I am in the clear.....

Also what is the deal with the folding back panels that are coming out now.

Sorry for making a new post but I wanted to make sure I got a quick response Tommorow is my deadline for making changes to my booking order.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
My son ran a Force last season and I felt the Shoulder coverage was as good as any you were going to find. If you get it too big then it may slop around and not be where it needs to be but that can be said of any CP. Being a hockey player and familiar with abuse to my shoulders I have yet to find an MX CP that is going to do a great deal for you on a direct impact on the shoulder.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
I have pounded mine mercilessly for 2 years, and beyond having to loctite some of the screws and reglue the rubber Thor badging, it has held up well. 80% of the time your main protection needs to be from hitting your own bars in an endo. I do know that guys with long torsos like it less; for shorties like me, it's ideal. My favourite feature is the spinal guard, which has paid for itself time and again. I've had some serious get-offs on rocky hillclimbs and done the roll of shame, and the back protection is A1. I've burst a few bladders in my hydration system, but the chest protector held up.

As for shoulders, I can only say that I haven't broken anything yet, and I've never relied on a chest protector to guard my shoulders. Go to a local dealer before you order, try it on, and decide if it's good for your body shape.

DEX

Jun 11, 2003
I got the whole RC build going on Im about 5'4 and 115 pounds. For the people that did have shoulder slop problems would bicep guards kind of help hold it in place a little better?

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
I'm share your stature (5'5" and 120 lbs), and mine didn't come with bicep guards (no big loss...I have none to guard). The protector is adjustable via screws, and if you take some time to set it up I don't think you'll find shoulder slop to be a major problem. In fact, it's rare that something fits guys of our stature so well; I sometimes have to decide between the kiddie section and the adult clothes to find a good fit for gear. That said, my buddy is 6'5" and likes his, and his 5 year old son wears the junior version in the playground for fun. They're comfortable. That, and you'd think that the vertebrae protection would be a PIA with a camelback, but I wear an enormous backpack/hydration combo, and everything stays anchored in place wonderfully. I can't wear the backpack without the chest protector, because it digs in to my feminine shoulders too much.
My Fox Raptor kneeguards are a good example of a bad design; they fit really well, but they don't hold in place worth a hoot. For guys with small diameter thighs and calves, there's not enough velcro and backing to hold them tight. I have to stop during Harescrambles to push/pull them so I can bend my knee. I suppose I could sew new velcro on, but that requires sewing...I don't do sewing.

Top Bottom