those of you that bought 200 instead of 220's

KDX_Turbo

Mar 13, 2001
why? I am in a bit of a crux, which to buy???
I am just wondering what drew other riders to buy one and not the other...THX

Jon Chapman
Turbo

------------------
'81 KE 125 faster than your......oh wait never mind it isnt,

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I bought a 200 to race in the 200 class. I was going to buy a 220 for the vet class, but came across a good deal on a GasGas EC250.

Cordova

Sep 8, 2000
To tell you the truth you cant go wrong with either of them. I have a 00'KDX 200, and my riding partner, has a 98'KDX220. He has had his since it came outta the box, and tooken great care of it. The bike is a Lion. I purchased mine from a guy who road it twice and didnt like the suspenion.(he was a heavy guy). And the top speed on my friends, and mine are the same, but he has a FMF rev pipe on his, and that really pulls alot more bottom than my 200. Both bikes are great.
The 200 has a more hop up potetial than 220. If you going to hop-up the thing, go with a 200. IF youre just going to stay stock, or add few things(pipe, silencer etc.) I say go with the KDX 220.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
I ride a 98 KDX200 and if I was to buy a new one I would get the 220 for the better low end. Of course this is just my opinion but that is what you were looking for right?

Woodsrider is right the 200 usually has its own class and the 220 will run the same class as the 250's. So if racing is your deal this may be something to consider.

Have a look at http://www.justkdx.dirtrider.net/200vs220.html and get a better overall view of the differences.

------------------
Mikeb
1998 KDX200  
http://www.justkdx.dirtrider.net

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
I went with the 200 mainly for the price. The magazines reported that there was not a big difference between the bikes. I read a lot of posts on the forum and came to the same conclusion. If anything, I wanted my bike to rev out on top rather than go flat. I haven't regreted my decision to go with the 200. I really like the bike. I came off a '93 WR 250 that was just too much of a handful in tight conditions. My KDX is superb for my riding area. This spring the WR is going up for sale. I rode it only once last summer and while it can smoke my 200, the KDX is an all around nicer, easier to ride, much more fun type of motorcycle.

Russ

Jan 17, 2001
First of all, everything you have already read:
Lack of much difference from the 220

Price

Top of the the 200 class vs. bottom of the 250 class

It seemed to me from what I've read that it is easier to make the 200 what the 220 is and more, rather than make the 220 what the 200 is and more...do you follow me?
Would you rather buy a bike and simply place some after-market junk on it to make it rip, or would you rather buy a bike that you may someday feel the need to send the carb out and have it machined?
It appeared to me that adding an o-ring chain to the 200 was a good starting point. Then, a torgue pipe, air box mod, and reeds would put you well on your way.
With the money you save by purchasing the 200, you can get all of this stuff! Just my opinion.

vetwfo'er

Dec 18, 2000
For the 200 a torque pipe (FMF), for the 220 a rev pipe(Pro Circut).

You really should go to just kdx and read for yourself the differences and what the results are when modified. The carb boring for the 220 is $60.

vetwfo'er

------------------
99 WR400f, White Bros E-Series silencer and tapered head pipe. YZ seat and tank. Thumper rad guards, works frame guards, scots steering damper. Soon to be MX-Tech suspension. SETRA, AMA, Happy Ramblers MC.

Courage is not the absense of fear. It is the judgement that something is more important, than fear.

KDX_Turbo

Mar 13, 2001
Well I think that will settle it, I am getting the 200. Thank you all for the info, I am glad to say that you guys are a very friendly owners group! Once I actually get the bike, I will have questions galore :)

Jon Chapman
Turbo

------------------
'81 KE 125 faster than your......oh wait never mind it isnt,

GreenMan

Feb 1, 2001
I have a 98 kdx 220 with some mods and it is the perfect hybrid between a trails bike and a motorccoss bike. Do the suspension mods with a piston, pipe, reeds and you have the low end with some great zip. I bought the bike new and liked it stock. I love it with the new attitude.

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
I'd be curious to see the sales figures for both types. To me the bikes arn't different enough to justify the 220's existance. Now if it were a 250, than hey we're talking.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
oops..a double posting error...If I was a LEADER, I could delete the darn thing.........

[This message has been edited by canyncarvr (edited 03-23-2001).]

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I only see one reference to a weak point in the 220..the piston. Supposedly it's only a problem with a modified engine. I'd as soon avoid the chance of it altogether. I wouldn't care for rebuilding the topend on a bike that was brand new..'just in case'. Some guys have done it.

Regarding a carb mod for the 220's liddle biddy carbonator..that mod works great on the 200's 35mm PWK, too!

The 200 is considerably cheaper. The money saved over a 220 will get you a headstart on a decent chain (don't change it and you'll be changing your sprockets in a couple months), the pipe of your choice and a set of boyesen reeds. Throw in a good set of bars, a ceet-cover, carb mod, suspension, graphics etc etc, and before you know it, you'll have yourself a $7000 bike!!

I 'bought' a 200 cuz my wife got me one, said, 'Here. Go forth and ride.' Being the dutiful husband, I did as I was told.

...always trying to please.......... :)

------------------
  • OLD member
    'oh-oh' KDX 200
    '86 Nighthawk 700 SC
    (a motorcyle even if it doesn't have a chain!)

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I bought a highly modified 99 fredette 220 burly pipe race tech, carb and IMS large fuel tank. so I can't tell what a stocker feels like? but this bike will rev to no end! and still tractor on the bottom end and I never felt it bottm out either.

------------------
99 fredette kdx 220
so many stickers so few places to put them.
86 kx 80
83 rm 125

Top Bottom