Those who have removed a TT-R 125 flywheel/rotor.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Does it appear as if it would be possible to remove the entire flywheel weight portion of the rotor by drilling out the rivets? If so, would the rotor fit properly without the weight?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
No Vic it won't work. The taper and the keyway are machined into the center of the weight. The outer magnet ring is riveted to the weight.

I was thinking the same thing initially
smile.gif

theMotoMan

Jan 12, 2001
Rich,

In your opinion, is it a very difficult job for a machinist to turn the rotor on a lathe? I was thinking of trying to get it done locally and didn't know what a good price would be. $125 from Engines Only sounds a bit steep to me, what do you think?

------------------
01 YZ250F
00 TTR-125L
00 TTR-90
00 PW-50

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I found it to be very straight forward and I'm not a machinist, I just twirl handles. It is a very time consuming process though so the price that Engines Only is asking is more than fair.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich:
The taper and the keyway are machined into the center of the weight.

That's what I suspected. Thanks, Rich.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Based on the drawings in the manual, the TT-R 90 rotor looks very similar to the TT-R 125 rotor, except without the weight. I wonder....

Streetsquid

Jan 13, 2001
Rich.....I'm currently looking into machining the flywheel on my TT-R as well. Can you tell me how much you took off?? I'm planning on taking it to a real machine shop instead of taking the chance that I might mess it up
smile.gif
Thx

Squid
'01 TT-R125L

Rossco

Sep 17, 2000
---Hey Streetsquid, how old are you and how big are you? I have a friend that is pondering a ttr125l or a xr200. He is 5'7 and 175?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Streetsquid:
Rich.....I'm currently looking into machining the flywheel on my TT-R as well. Can you tell me how much you took off??

I took ~24 ounces off of mine (stock was ~72 ounces). I want to do some testing before I remove any additional weight. As a point of reference the YZF400 assembly is under 25 ounces stock.

Here's a thread that covers it in more detail http://dirtrider.net/ubb2/Forum16/HTML/001642.html

Streetsquid

Jan 13, 2001
Rossco.....dunno if you'll believe this, but I am 6'4" and about 200lbs. I am a club roadracer in the PacNW and I bought the TT-R as a training/play bike to help to learn how to slide around with control (dirt track stylee). Although, the more I get out in the dirt, the more I think I'll stick with this and forget about roadracing
smile.gif

As for sending my flywheel to BBR or Engines Only, I would but I don't really want to deal with all the customs B.S. (I'm in Canada).

Squid
'01 TT-R125L

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Kevimetal:
Rich, wouldn't the larger displacement plus what I would guess is a heavier mill/ rotating mass account for the lower FW weight
on the yzf400?

To some degree sure, but the type of engine has a lot to do with it as well. Low rpm trail bike that's designed to be ridden all day on the pilot jet by kids, versus 11k rpm MX race bike designed to simulate a two stroke's power characteristics.
smile.gif

Streetsquid

Jan 13, 2001
Kevimetal......you bring up a good point. Not being a mechanical whiz, I had no idea that there was more to it than simply throwing it on a lathe and whittling it down.

What's even more funny/strange about people (myself included), is that we will buy an inexpensive "play" bike and then throw lots of money into it to make it like a bigger bike. It would probably be easier, and just as much $$, to buy the bigger bike in the first place (but it wouldn't be as much fun
wink.gif
).

Streetsquid

Jan 13, 2001
Kevimetal......you bring up a good point. Not being a mechanical whiz, I had no idea that there was more to it than simply throwing it on a lathe and whittling it down.

What's even more funny/strange about people (myself included), is that we will buy an inexpensive "play" bike and then throw lots of money into it to make it like a bigger bike. It would probably be easier, and just as much $$, to buy the bigger bike in the first place (but it wouldn't be as much fun
wink.gif
).

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by Streetsquid:

If Rich can do it, it can't be that difficult.
smile.gif

O.T.

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 1999
i,m betting my 3 stroke 426 doesn,t even have a flywheel on it at least it shure dont feel like it does yeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaa..ot

------------------
"plaster makes you faster" --------------------86 lt250r,01 660 raptor,01 ttr125,98 kx250,00 yzf426(yee ha!)

Top Bottom