Thoughts on 1st H/S Race on a KDX

FeelinFordy

Feb 13, 2005
Decided I would see if racing would add to the joy of owning & riding the ole KDX and provide a fitness goal.
Thought I might try the Foxhollow H/S coming up in Middle Tennessee on April 10th. ((Providing everthing, self included, is ready))

In Preparation (and the bike needed it anyway), I put on a new front tire.Have rear rim off to true it and put on a new 4.60 tire. I have cleaned and adjusted the KIPS, have new plug for the race. I am going to put blue thread locker on some of the bolts that I found loose when I bought the bike. I have the jetting spot on and the bike is running well. Will also be greasing the bearings and suspension and putting on new brake pads.

With that in mind anything else that a 1st timer should do to the KDX in preps for a H/S race? For myself, I am just going to ride withing my limited skill and stay out of the way of the fast set. :ride:

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
Fordy you forgot one very important thing. HAVE FUN! I've raced enduros and hare scrambles since my youth and this is what dirt biking is all about for me. Your KDX will be a steady steed for racing a H/S and should perform well. Since you state this is your first race and you have limited skills enter the novice or beginners class and start near the rear of the field. Don't worry about this because we all started in those classes at one time. Be courteous on the trail and allow faster riders to get by. This does not mean to break your neck to get out of the way but yield them the right of way. This is fun and just remember that.

For your bike just do some general maintenance and make sure everything is in working order. You have already mentioned many things you are doing with a tires, brakes, and locktight. One of the things that I always do is check all of the fasteners on my bike the night before a race. Just look at everything on your bike and try to anticipate any trouble spots. Carry a few tools with you just for emergency uses. Nothing extravigant as you won't be overhauling the bike on the trail but a scredriver, cresent wrench, and pliers can be life savers. These events are usually about 40-50 miles so you may need some fuel available. I'm not sure of the range for your KDX but I always figure it better to be safe than sorry.

For you just try to get some sleep the night before. Have a drink system for carrying water during the race. If possible try to eat something light the morning of the event. This will help give you more energy. The biggest energy burner during a race is picking up the bike and getting going after a crash. Try to ride within your limits and just keep the bike going. Take a couple of your favorite pain relievers the morning of the event. (Tylenol, Motrin, Asprin, etc.) This will help a lot by getting a head start on the soreness you will have the day after.

FWIW I stop once about half way during each event. I put fuel in my bike, reload my drink system with a fresh bladder, and put on dry gloves. It takes a minute or so to do these but I think it is worth it. I can roost as hard as I like and not worry about fuel or water and the gloves just make things more comfortable. When I'm really tired in a race this also gives me something to look forward too. I'm not racing for money so a stop really isn't going to hurt that much. Were I racing for money that might be another story.

Best wishes for a very fun event and I bet you will soon be hooked.

Dan

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…