mrbb

Aug 26, 2010
Ok I have a 2000 Yz 250, I have a problem, easy fix, But I need to know correct size tap to use

the chain guide that mounts right behind the front spocket, the bottom screw will not go in, tread are buggered up some at the begining, either just juck build up or what ever, tried to clean up, but cannot get it started,
Do anyone know what size threads/ tap I need to use to clean them up??
Thanks a bunch

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Ummm, measure the bolt?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
If it's the hole for the screw that holds on the chain slider and it is in the swing arm you may never be able to re-thread it. I found a quick fix that held up for a long time. Find a plastic wall anchor. The kind that is tapered and expands when you put the screw in. I chose one that was more square at the top and then filed the hole to match so it wouldn't turn, maybe overkill but what the heck.

Drive it in to the hole but be careful not to hit the swing arm. Than just use a screw in place of the bolt.

I did this once because I was in a hurry and thought I'd have to replace it but it lasted for several years until I sold the bike. As far as I know it's still holding up.

Now, if that wasn't your problem then never mind....:)

mrbb

Aug 26, 2010
I am sure the screw is good, have a brand new one,as well as the old
the guy that had the bike before me I think crosed the threads some, why the screw only gooes in about a 1/3 of the way, it hold there, but would like to correct if possible

anyone know the right size tap for this hole
its the bottom of the swingarm behind the front sprocket/foot peg!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Sometimes it is on the parts micro fiche. Another bolt close by should be the same. Metric bolts, nuts and screws are not all the same, just because they are metric. There are different thread sizes.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
What is so hard about measuring the bolt?

If you have a tap & die set just thread the bolt in to one of the dies and it will become clear real quick if it is the right one or not.

Take it to the hardware store and test fit some nuts on the bolt?

If somebody guesses and it's wrong then you are mad AND screwed (pun intended). YOU need to verify what size it is using a fool proof method as described above.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Patman said:
What is so hard about measuring the bolt?

If you have a tap & die set just thread the bolt in to one of the dies and it will become clear real quick if it is the right one or not.

Take it to the hardware store and test fit some nuts on the bolt?

If somebody guesses and it's wrong then you are mad AND screwed (pun intended). YOU need to verify what size it is using a fool proof method as described above.

+1 for checking the new bolt, not too tough

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Like Patman says if you already have a tap and die set, you can save yourself a trip to the store.

If you don't have a tap and die set, most large hardware stores will have a test gage that you can thread it into and be absolutely certain. Then you can buy an individual tap while you are there (or for three times as much get a huge set of taps and dies, lol).

mrbb

Aug 26, 2010
thanks guys, I don't have a metric tap/die set, but plan on buying, I know i can find it out with a little effort, but just thought I would ask, as right now I can borrow a tap, and was just going to borrow the size I needed if i was told on here.

will just measure the bolt and then adjust as need
thanks

Top Bottom