Threads are messed up, where you drain oil..help

acesnkush

Apr 29, 2006
Ok.... My friend has a 85 cr250, he brought it in to the honda shop to get some **** done. Apparently his bolt to drain the oil stripped so they had to drill into it, to get it out. The honda dude didnt have a bolt of the same size so he wedgeed a different siize one in there, which is making him leak trasnmission oil. The threads are now ****ed up because of the bolt the honda guy put it.
My question is, can he thread a wider whole at the buttom and buy a bigger bolt for the buttom? Will that screw anything up? Any other suggestions

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
If there is enough material left around the drain hole, it can be heli-coiled. If not, it can be tig-welded and re-tapped. Tell your friend to find another Honda shop.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Take it back and require them to fix it correctly, if not Better Business Burea should be called!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
When I needed helicoils a while back I was able to find them at a hardware store. I tried a couple of the chain auto parts houses and was told by both that they no longer carried them because of liabilty concerns. Apparrently someone sued one of them after he put them in wrong and when it blew out damaged his hood (it was in a sparkplug hole).
Problem I had was finding a tool to insert them with so I paid the local shop a couple bucks to install them

Top Bottom