throttle and clutch timing on jump faces

Feb 25, 2001
I always read about the pros have precise throttle and clutch timing on the faces of jumps to give them the correct lift they need....I never see pros around here use the clutch on the face of a jump I dont either. Most everone around here before they even get to the face of a jump they will have all fingers on the bars for better control ...so is this something other pros actually use or do they mean leading up to the jump that they clutch the bike alot ?
because I usually clutch the bike alot before the face of the jump to get as much power as I can before jumping.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
My 1st ride back after a bout with broken ribs I was taking it easy and more or less just cruising the track. I noticed that when I hit a jump I normally hit in 4th pinned that if I hit the same jump in 3rd and clutched on the face that I got a lot more height and distance. I was extremely surprised when this happened, I haven't tried it since I've completely healed cause it just didn't feel like it was as fast but it definantly was a different approach.:eek:

My guess is that I was on the gas longer using the clutch on the face approach and I must let off sooner when hauling butt up to the face of the same jump, maybe there's a whimp factor involved. ;)

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
i would say that no one where you are knows how to ride. you are advised to keep at least a finger or two on the levers at all times. usually the cases where lots of throttle/clutch control are in supersross, on off camber, whoops, or slick corners, or a combination of all of the above.:p if you have ever ridden on a real supercross track, or in bike eating whoops, you would understand the need for precise delivery of power. the bike has a tendency to bog in really big whoops, so fanning the clutch helps keep you in the power, and in technical rhythem sections, you have to kind of... "blast" off of some of the kicker jumps to get where you want to go.

holyroller1

Jun 20, 2001
I would think you should have a finger on the clutch and brake.

What happens to your pros if they get the front end too high and have to tap the rear brake. If they don't have a finger on the clutch then they could be asking for trouble:scream:

Feb 25, 2001
I can see where everbody is comming from with fingers on levers at all times but while going through the air I never have a finger on the front brake . I have my front brake very sensitive and in the air just barely any pressure on the lever will lock it up with no resistence like it has in mid air. And as for the front end getting to high in the air ....well then you take a finger off the handle bar and pull in the clutch. I do it all he time and so does most every good rider around here.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I would imagine that at yoru local track pros don't need to do any clutch work to make the jumps us mortals have a tougher time with.

If I'm not slipping the clutch all the way up the jump face, I wait till I'm in the air to reach out for the clutch.

While in the air I move my middle finger out over the front brake lever if I need to get on the brakes right after landing, but I don't grab it in the air.

monkeybutt

Jun 12, 2001
The pro riders don't need to clutch most jumps,they are already wide open when they hit the face.The only time I clutch on the face of a jump is when it's 2 feet out of a corner and I want to land wide open in a higher gear for better drive.
However ,Keep at least one fingure on the clutch always,A 50 foot double is no place to bog.If your motor bogs on the face of a jump or in whoops or anywhere it only takes a split secont to get the r's up again when your clutch is covered.

quadrunner

Jul 20, 2001
Mike Larocco says he uses the brake off every jump, that he's full throttle up to the face, but uses the brake to set his landing. What does he know?

Top Bottom