Throttle cable breakage warning

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I recently took my carb cap off when I replaced my reed cage. I saw some stray wires from my cable and saw where they were coming off the cable. I needed to replace my cap anyway so when I got to replacing it two rides after the initial sight of stray wires I was horrified to find that when I took the cable apart from the carb cap the cable was worse than I thought.
The wire inside the cap area, not visible on initial inspection, was so far frayed that only about 6 strands of wire were holding the cable together. This is the second cable I have had serious wear on so I took a look at the carb cap and saw that some the areas that the wire can rub up against are very sharp. The new cap has been dremeled to round these areas; very bottom of cap and very top of the tube with threading. I hope this does the trick and
I would highly suggest that Every One take their cable apart and inspect it for wear.

Just think if you are jumping or going up that long hill climb and it breaks on the ramp or near the top of the hill. Also you cannot repair these cables in the field so your pushing your bike home.
Don't be lazy on this. My cable lasted two years.

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
Good info. Thanks! I keep a spare throttle and clutch cable in my tool box. I have always changed the clutch cable every two years & now I think I'll add the throttle cable to that list and do a little rounding on the cap.
JCW

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I broke mine too. I Lubed it a few times a year. which is why it lasted over three years I guess. It broke about ten feet fron the truck too so I really lucked out...

Top Bottom