true2blue92

May 24, 2007
I have a 1984 Honda XR100 that I'm trying to get running. Its been sitting for a while and I had it running a couple days ago but the throttle cable snapped. I ordered a new one. But for now I am trying to use a brake cable. Now I can't seem to figure out how it works with this old carb. and stuff. Its totally differant. So can anyone tell me how or no of a site that has a diagram or something of how it works. Thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I think what he meant was, brake cables are for brakes..

Just be patient and ride the bike once you get the new throttle cable.

true2blue92

May 24, 2007
oh oke. one quick question. on the old carbs where the thing comes from the top for the throttle. Is that piston looking thing inside supposed to be all the way down or up a little. I think the cable might be a little short cuz its holding it up like 1/2" maybe thats why it wont start?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
That would be called a Slide.. and there should either be an adjustment on the cable or on the body of the throttle handle.. And there might even be a idle screw on the carb that's not adjusted properly..

Might want to invest in a service manual for your bike.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Your bike will be very hard to start with the throttle stuck half open. If you snap the throttle shut, you should hear the slide bottom out in the carburetor. I didn't do this test after installing a new throttle tube on my CR250. The bike wouldn'st start so I push started. That was one wild ride.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
76GMC1500 said:
Your bike will be very hard to start with the throttle stuck half open. If you snap the throttle shut, you should hear the slide bottom out in the carburetor. I didn't do this test after installing a new throttle tube on my CR250. The bike wouldn'st start so I push started. That was one wild ride.

did you have the kill switch wired in? i hope so cuz ur last result would be to pull the plug cap and ull get a nice shock from that.

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
It's probably a good thing you couldn' get it to start. With the slide a half inch open, that thing would have been screaming without any load on it. This is a good lesson to wait until you get the proper parts or bad things may result. Clearly, your improvised cable is too short. At idle, the slide is normally open just slightly, maybe 1/32" or so, depends on the bike. Like brakes, you just don't mess around when it comes to the throttle. If it sticks wide open on you and you lack experience, a run-in with gravity is likely - and gravity usually wins!

Marc -

true2blue92

May 24, 2007
Yeah well actually i did get it started last night and it was WOT. and i couldn't stop it. good thing it was in neutral tho. I think thats why the kill switch didnt work cuz i dont think it will work when your givin it gas so thats why i had to pull the plug. YEah I no stupid idea. I was jus really anxious cuz I only got to ride it for maybe 30 min and I've never rode a bike before it was so fun. The cable should be here tomorrow so I'l just wait. BUt from the looks of things I think the spark plug is fouled now so i gotta get another one of those to. O well I guess you learn from your mistakes right. He he

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
The kill switch has nothing to do with the throttle. It simply grounds out the ignition which kills the spark. If it's not working, you really need to repair it before riding. Things happen in life and it's one thing to have the throttle stick wide open sitting in your garage, it's another when you're flying WOT in the highest gear heading towards a fence only to find the throttle stuck. It's extremely important that that switch works. That's one mistake you really don't want to learn first hand!

true2blue92

May 24, 2007
Bunya said:
The kill switch has nothing to do with the throttle. It simply grounds out the ignition which kills the spark. If it's not working, you really need to repair it before riding. Things happen in life and it's one thing to have the throttle stick wide open sitting in your garage, it's another when you're flying WOT in the highest gear heading towards a fence only to find the throttle stuck. It's extremely important that that switch works. That's one mistake you really don't want to learn first hand!

Yeah deffinitily. Would the kill switch work When its WOT? It used to work and I took everything apart to paint the frame and stuff then ever since I put it back together it worked once then the throttle cable broke and when I had it running last night it was stuck on WOT so I figured thats why it didn't work.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Gas engines can diesel, especially if they're running rich. It is possible that the kill switch wouldn't kill the engine even if the switch were working properly.

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
GMC, that's true, but he said he pulled the plug wire to kill the engine. All I can suggest is tracing the wiring from the kill switch to wherever it goes. If there's just a single wire, pushing the switch grounds it to the handlebars. If that's the case, you have to make sure that the switch has a good ground to the bars and that the bars have a good ground to the frame. If there's 2 wires coming out of the switch, it's still likely that 1 goes to ground and the other to the CDI unit. Verify that you've got a good ground on the one side and a good connection to the CDI. Keep in mind that I'm not familiar with your specific bike so this may not directly apply, but it's the most common way it's done.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Pulling the plug wire on an engine at that speed is a risky move, especially if you hate getting shocked like I do. Pull the clutch in, drop it in gear, hold the brakes, let the clutch out gently and stall the engine out.

true2blue92

May 24, 2007
76GMC1500 said:
Pulling the plug wire on an engine at that speed is a risky move, especially if you hate getting shocked like I do. Pull the clutch in, drop it in gear, hold the brakes, let the clutch out gently and stall the engine out.

Yeah that would've been a much better way. I didnt think of that. It was really late and I had to turn it off quick and just thought on my feet. Oh well it's over now.

Top Bottom