ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
The throttle tube was sticking on the 04 YZ250F and after close inspection the white plastic part that inserts into the throttle aluminum assembly portion on the handel bars was broken. It looks like the cables must be replaced, does this require removal of the Carb?
the manual does not show how to replace the cables.

If anyone has performed this procedure please let me know.
I need to get this done this weekend.

Thanks
Richard.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
I would remove the carb to pull the cable. Odds are it will make it easer to changes the cable. I know on my two-smoke the cable goes into the carb so it would have to be removed no matter what. I’m sure if the 250F’s cable goes into the top of the carb, or attaches to the side via a pulley or some other means.

B

biglou

The cables go into a grooved wheel on the right side of the carb under that big silver cover on that bike. They each have an inline adjuster for setting the slack (about 1/8" rotation before engaging the throttle wheel). And yeah, looks like you need a new cable if that white piece is broken. Try to find a Motion Pro cable. Cheaper than OEM but great quality.

Just for GP, when you take it apart, post your specifics on this bike-how many hour ridden-and if either or both of the cable ends were frayed at the carb end.

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
Thanks Guys,
Couldn't find a motion pro cable and had to settle for OEM, The cables were easily changed on the bike by removal of a very trick little cover plate on the side of the Carb. Cables were original OEM and aside from the breakage of the little plastic end piece the cables were in great shape.
The bike has 140 - 160 hours of ride time and all cables have been oiled twice in the bikes short life.
The hardest part of the whole project was mounting both throttle cables to the throttle tube properly.

Thanks again for the help.

Richard

Last edited:
Top Bottom