I<3Dirt

Feb 3, 2007
I know this is a dumb question, but I've never had to buy a throttle cable for a dirt bike.
Do I need to buy the cable for my specific bike, or is there a universal cable that I could buy?
I ask because because I recently broke mine and doubt I can find one for a bike this old. (Buying online is out of the question)
If there is a universal one, would I just go to my dealer and ask for a "universal throttle cable"?

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
Take your current (broken) cable to a shop and try to match it up, that is all you are going to be able to do. Assuming you have exhausted every effort trying to find the correct one first. And also try the auction site.

I<3Dirt

Feb 3, 2007
Yeah, I kind of assumed that I needed the stock cable, but was hoping my assumptions were wrong.
Anyways, thanks for the replies, I'll head to my dealer sometime this week and see what I can do.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Why no online shopping?

If it is because most are from the US, there are Canadian shops with online sales as well, that will be more than happy to sell you parts.

I<3Dirt

Feb 3, 2007
The main reason being that I'm only 16 with no credit card. And my parents don't buy online either. Even if I found a place that did COD, theres almost always a charge for that, (usually around $10), and adding shipping plus the cost of COD would probably be more than just going to my dealer.
I'm not saying that's always the case, but I just find it easier letting my dealer handle all of the shipping and receiving.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Fair enough.

If you can get an aftermarket cable (Motion pro is well regarded) it will likely be somewhat cheaper than an OEM Suzuki cable. Just make sure it is a quality cable, not a piece of junk. Stuck throttles can be a life or death matter, and cheap cables can cause throttles to stick if they break or fray.

I<3Dirt

Feb 3, 2007
Yeah, I know about cheap cables, I've heard some pretty scary stories about people who have bought them.
I'll probably just get an OEM style cable. The couple bucks I might save getting the aftermarket one, isn't worth the situations it might put me in.

Top Bottom