Paul Cugno

Sep 12, 2005
New Here. Love the bike. The mods are coming along. I was mounting some Acerbis pro rally hand guards and had to replace the bar and grips to do it because the stock bar ends are welded nearly shut. I need to get the old grip off the throttle but the friggin thing is glued on there. Whats the easiest de-gluer I can get to do this or is there an easier way?

thanks in advance

mods include - fmf gnarly woods with Q silencer, scotts skid plate, moose bar and scott grips, acerbis pro rally guards, fresh pirelli rear.

mods to come - scott stearing damper, braided lines

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
Spend $10 on new grips. If you do manage to get the old one off, it will likely get torn in the process, unless they are nearly new in which case you could try to roll it back a little and put some fingernail polish remover on and repeat the enitre length. But I still like the $10 method to avoid the frustration.
Stan

oldturtle

Sep 11, 2005
I will push a thin flat tip screw driver between grip and bar, push it out slightly from the bar, and then squirt a little WD into grip. Then just twist grip and it will break free. Just go a little at a time or you will punch and tear grip.
If grip was installed with a full tube of grip glue you may need to just cut it off and replace.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Just cut it. It sounds like you plan to install new grips, otherwise you wouldn't need to remove the throttle grip. Break out the utility knife and cut it lengthwise, be careful that your fingers stay attached. Then rip it off.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
The stock grip is molded to the throttle tube and is a pain to get off. I started off trying to "shave" mine with a razor, but eventually had to take the last of it off with some rough grit sandpaper. It takes time, there's no easy way, besides buying a new throttle tube.

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
If I plan to reuse the grip (as opposed to just cutting it off), then I use compressed air with a needle attachment (the type of needle that you normally use to inflate a basketball). You can slide the needle a little ways under the grip, then use your hand to clamp around the circumference of the grip, and give it a blast of air. It "inflates" the grip and breaks loose the glue. Work the needle all around the grip and bit by bit it will loosen it up. BTW, I also use the same compressed air trick to install a new grip.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
blackduc98 said:
If I plan to reuse the grip (as opposed to just cutting it off), then I use compressed air with a needle attachment (the type of needle that you normally use to inflate a basketball). You can slide the needle a little ways under the grip, then use your hand to clamp around the circumference of the grip, and give it a blast of air. It "inflates" the grip and breaks loose the glue. Work the needle all around the grip and bit by bit it will loosen it up. BTW, I also use the same compressed air trick to install a new grip.

Good advice, but it will not work on a stock grip on the throttle tube. Trust me!

Top Bottom