Throttle hesitation off idle - 2003 kdx 220

bassmaster

May 10, 2010
Just purchased a 2003 kdx 220. Bike was completely rebuilt by a friend of mine who knows what he's doing. Bike is completely stock (other than replated cylinder and wiseco piston). Bike runs great except..........off of idle it hesitates (just for a second) when you crack the throttle. It is very noticeable. Within a split second the revs start climbing like crazy; but the split second of.......nothing........really throws me, and I don't like it at all! I checked out the KIPS assembly and it's functioning fine. I have been messing w/the air screw in 1/8 increments and it doesn't do anything. I've tried new gas (mixing it at 32:1), with no effect. My friend had completely cleaned out the carb before I bought it from him; but sure seems like it maybe a clogged pilot jet or something. Any advice would be very appreciated.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Sounds like it very well could be a restricted pilot jet. It's worth a look at least.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
your idle speed may be set to low (try raiseing the idle speed and then turning the air screw in to richen a bit)

or the air filter may not be oiled enough or have a leak between the filter and the reeds

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Air leak is possible. Is it a hollow sounding bog or does it sputter? An air leak,aiscrew adjusted too far out, or too small of a pilot jet / clogged pilot jet will cause a hollow sounding off idle bog. You want to adjust the airscrew on a KDX for best off-idle throttle response. This is rarely anything close to the traditional "fastest idle" setting for the airscrew.

bassmaster

May 10, 2010
It's not a hollow sound or a sputter, there is just.......nothing........for a split second, and then the beast comes alive. Tough for riding - I currently have to plan on the fact that when I come into a corner, and if my rev's aren't up, and I just crack the throttle, I will have a split second of zero power. It is not good.

On a side note - does anybody know what the little steel bar is for that is welded onto the right side of the frame under by the silencer - is it supposed to be a handle to aid in lifting the bike (doesn't work well if that's the case)?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
the the question has come again boys....

I thought we made it clear last time the small bar is for the optional accessories..side car, trailer, or cultivator (must purchase the right hand rear sprocket/ brake disc for cultivator drive)

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
uh. "nothing" as in the engine turns off? Because if the engine is running, and you're giving it throttle, "nothing" isn't really possible. There has to be SOMETHING. There's vacuum there, and a running engine. Pay really close attention next time you ride. Is it kind of like buhhhhhhhhh before it hits and starts ripping again?

At this point I still can't narrow it down.

air leak
clogged pilot
pilot is too small
airscrew is too far out

Or I'm completely off base and it's way to rich. However I have a feeling it's one of the former four options.

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
Another thing that will cause that symptom is a mistimed or sticking power valve. I had an old KDX cylinder replated and there was a lot of metal debris left in the cylinder especially in the exhaust port/valve area. Try as I might, I could not get all of this stuff cleaned out of there on the first try. I thought it was clean and reassembled the engine. When the bike didn't run right, I checked the valve and it was sticking. I had to clean the passage where the actuating rod fits two more times to get the rod to quit sticking and have the rod work smoothly. :nod:

bassmaster

May 10, 2010
I'm trying to post a link to youtube to a video of my bike revving; but 'spamkiller' is not allowing me to put the link on a post. Is there a way around this (as I've seen many links on threads - how do you do it)?

Top Bottom