throttle roll-off?

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
There have been a couple of threads mentioning Throlle Roll Off. What exactly do you mean? I am coming off a 4-stroke, so this is a new idea to me. One post mentioned going down hill at a higher rpm with the throttle off as causing problems. That is how I usually went downhill on my 4-stroke, should I not do this in my brand new KDX?

Thanks!

Dawg_enD

Sep 19, 2003
The deal is that 2-strokes' engine lubrication comes from the oil you mix into your fuel. So, no fuel = no lube. If you are ripping down a hill at high rpm's and just let off the throttle your piston will still be going extremely fast, but your lubrication will be almost nil.

You can get around this by pulling in the clutch so the piston slows down, or maintaining throttle. I'd bet there are other ways.

The point is, you don't compression brake as much on a 2 stroke.

Also bear in mind that it's not speed related, it's RPM related.

-Dawg

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
Its probably best to let off completely on the throttle than rolling off. That way you cut off the gas almost completely and no excess heat is generated. But if you let off to half throttle then you've limited the oil to the piston/rings but still theres enough gas to create more heat which could possible melt some of the piston. (ie: siesure)

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
jag don't forget the incoming charge of fuel plays a major roll in cooling the piston crown and thus keeping the engine cool.

David

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…