throttle sticking/carb ID on a 91 rm250

tnutcher

Jan 10, 2008
my throttle seems to stick on my bike and when in coasting gear need to brake or upshift and dump the clutch w/no throttle to get it to go down to an idle. I'll be coming to a turn or from a jump or down a hill and while the bike idles down it stops before it reaches the correct rpm or sticks at a higher rpm sometimes. I checked the slide spring and it seems ok, no burs on the slide. The throttle slide return seems slower compared to my old 01 cr 125 but not sure why. I Lubed the cable and it still happens but the cable has probably a 3/8th inch play in it. Do you think the play is causing the stuck throttle or maybe a bad cable? its not twisted or bent anywhere that i can tell from the outside.

also when checking out the carb i found it's not what my manual says it should be. It is a mikuni (sp) but has a large round throttle slide rather than a thin longer one and the internals are different. The choke lever is also on the wrong side. I love the way the bike runs and torques through things but what do I need to ID the carb? are there numbers on it somewhere that would give me an idea where its from?? Any help on where to look would be great!

Appreciate any help and sorry about the two questions in one post, hope you all don't mind! thanks
TNutcher

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
it sounds like it may be time for a new throttle cable. did you check to see if the throttle grip tube is rubbing? often times gunk gets in there and makes it stick.

tnutcher

Jan 10, 2008
i thought so. no the throttle handle/grip tube turns freely like it should when the cable is dissconnected so it must be the cable.
Thanks!

Anyone on the places to look at for the carb ID or size? thanks
TNutcher

Top Bottom