throttle sticking on 02 yz 250f

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i needed to replace my throttle sleeve on my bike so i went ahead and changed it and now for some reason the throttle kind of gets hung up and either sticks or returns closed really slow. i took it apart about ten times now and i cant see anything wrong. i even put the only cracked throttle tube back on and it still does it. has anyone else expirenced this problem? any advice given would be great.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Are you leaving enough space so its not rubbing on the end of the bar?

Mine's sticking right now too but its more a symptom of being dropped in the sandy dirt a couple times today :confused: Sounds like sandpaper when you twist it.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Check the cables by taking the throttle tube off. Pull the cable and let go. If it snaps back into place it is not a cable issue.

Remove the throttle tube. Sand your bar down with a fine sand paper or steel wool until perfectly smooth. Clean the inside of your throttle tube with brake cleaner... do it several times and wipe it out with a paper towel. Once the tube is clean and dry spray your handlebar lightly with WD-40, Don't use grease or a heavy motor oil, use WD-40. Put the throttle tube on and see if it spins freely. If it does, connect the cables and as Evenslower said, make sure there is enough space so the end of the tube is not rubbing on the end of the bar.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Graphite lube, like you would use on door hinges, works pretty well too. Gives lubrication and won't attract dirt.

I'm thinking of trying one of those billet jobbies with the bearings inside.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
thans for offering your help guys. i actually used grease on the bar, i guess that was a bad idea, im sure there is something else causing it to stick though too. i am so frustrated right now with this bike, its all over little things that shouldnt be a problem.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
On the push pull throttles use on the 4 strokes, it is very critical to adjust them properly. You need to get all the slack out, but you still need to make sure the cables are adjusted evenly or they will work against each other.
sounds like you just need to adjust them a little. :thumb:

Top Bottom