Thrown off on Whoopies - help!

Wis

Feb 3, 2001
:eek: Hello again, I got all enthusiastic on Sunday when we went riding in a disused quarry, the ground is sand, and through a level area had whoopies, dips about 5 metres apart and .75meters deep, there were about 6 of them, I hit them at about 70-80kph, the first three were fine, then the back end started to buck like a mule, this got worse until I was thrown off into a dazed heap (nothing broken, tough bike eh?). Any ideas why?
2000KDX200.
Thanks Wis:confused:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Likely scenario - Too much rebound damping on your rear shock caused the rear end to 'pack'; never allowing the shock to extend back to full travel between the bumps, getting worse and worse until you didn't have enough travel left to handle the bumps.

Try backing out your shock rebound adjuster if you encounter those kinds of whoops a lot. Trail bikes often have more rebound damping than MX bikes, as the kind of whoops you went through are much more common on an MX track than the trail. Another indication you might have too much rebound damping on the shock is if the back tire 'chatters' under heavy braking.

joe woj

Oct 29, 1999
wis is right, its the rebound, try playing with the clickers and then try it again spend a hour on tuning your suspention it will go a long way in to making you alot faster, and way eaiser to carry speed through bumpy area, suspention is the most overlooked performance mod you can do not to mention it also makes you a bunch safer! i know what ya mean about being thrown when the rear packs through whoops, your just going along for the ride!, had that same thing happen to me, then i did my suspention, adjust ride, adjust ride, adjust ride, until you figure whats right for you, also be sure to check your race sag, it should be 4" if its not adjust the spring until it is, its near impossiable to set the clickers until the sag is set correctly, good luck have fun, you will be suprised how much smoother your bike will feel.:scream:

Wis

Feb 3, 2001
Tnakns for the advice, everyone

I think you two have hit the nail on the head, I did play with the rebound just before riding, I had set it pretty slow, so off I go to the quarry again armed with my screwdriver, Thanks very much
Wis.

Top Bottom