CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Blue Thunder, GregS and myself set out around 4am Thursday morning only to ride in heavy rain all the way down. We were actually looking at diverting over to White Rock in case the monsoon had flooded Cooperland-thank goodness we didn't. The skies cleared literally w/in 20 miles of the track and we were greeted w/ hot and dusty conditions.

Day one was low-key for us. We hit the MX track, one of our favorites in the Midwest then followed up w/ some practice on woods loop. The marked section included only a portion of the actual full loop, and it was fast and dusty. During that time, two more of the KC group arrived, both Agent Orange and BrentMcCully.

As we were dicing around, Mully was out marking off The Grass Track. This is in caps because it was a complete blast. He asked us to give what he marked off a whirl. We friggin loved it! Many of the turns were fourth and fifth gear leaned-over rippers. You had to ride this thing to believe it-fun stuff (one of the highlights for us). After tearing around for a bit, we started BS'ing with 380EXCMan (one heck of a nice fella) who asked if I wanted to give the monster Husaberg a whirl on the grass track. Let me tell you what, you haven't lived until you have one of these fine machines approaching triple digits on perfect traction.

We had a hotel room in Stillwater, so the evening festivities for us were limited to Eskimo Joe's and then some shut eye before Friday's team HS.

Day two greeted us with cool temps and some much needed rain overnight (yes!). This gave us perfect, and I mean perfect conditions on the trails. Let's just say Jason and I were pumped. It's a good thing we did that rain dance.

The race was well-organized, better than some of the local HS around here, and we gated well to a holeshot on the first lap. Once under way, we were treated to all kinds of singletrack that hadn't been marked the day before-great stuff! The laps provided back and forth between Jason/myself and TTRGuy/MXBundy. During the race, two more KC good guys showed up, KLX300Greg and ChrisFiorella. After trying to figure out why my CR was limping a bit in the open sections, we figured out my clutch was completely shot-tryin to get the bike going in first gear with no forward movement was the first hint (duh!). Haivng the CycleWerks guys on hand was a complete godsend, as they had the clutch I needed and we were back on the trails in no time. We rode at least another tank of gas, did some more bike swapping and just enjoyed the day. The new KTM525 (not broken in yet) actually read 92mph on the odometer up on the grass track-yeah I was jazzed! Thanks for letting me flog your bike Chris!

Oh yeah, our very own Blue Thunder led none other than Dr D on a loop around the scramble couse!

BTW, our very own Firecracker22 went out on loop w/ us. Don't let her fool you, she rides very well.

Day three was once again perfect conditions. We decided not to run the MX, and instead opted to do more trail flogging. After running about an hour out int he woods, we went back to the pits for the mandatory BS session, when a fellow on a bad-ass KTM540 pulls up with a slightly deranged look in his eye. He proceeded to ask if we are going to MX or just ride woods all day. I let him know we are kind of partial to the woods, and if that was indeed Mr. Cooper hiding behind that helmet. It seems that he wants to cut in some trail on his land and would like some riders to come along, but we have to cross a creek (smiling as he says it). Oh yeah, we are going! Once rounding everybody up, about 8 of us, we proceed to bushwhack for two loops-I've got to tell you, following Coop on a bushwhack session is something you have to see to believe. Once the trail was cut in, it was GO time. We ran 4-5 more loops and just had a killer time.

On that note, we knew we had to get back to KC and decided to end the day on that high. Picked up our plaque, got a few pics, ate some great food, got my favorite old Fox shirt autograped by Dr. D, saw some killer riding by The Dr, Billywho and Coop, rode some bikes that we've been meaning to ride, met some very nice people and can't wait until next year.

Thanks to Okie, Eddie/MXBundy/Mully (for setting up a killer race), CycleWerks for keeping my bike running when it was limping around (at least it made it through the race), the conscessions people for the great food, all of the nice folks we met and of course Brownie for providing a venue that gave everybody from pee-wee to enduro hound a place to just have wonderful time.

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
So lets get this straight! Firtst you spank me in HS race and then you get to ride with Cooper? :| You guys just went on my LIST! Of really cool guys! :thumb:
That was awesome, wish I could of hooked up wih Cooper.

Oh well until next year, this is for you! :moon:

the bundster :yeehaw:

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
Hey Bundy, don't think there were any spankin's put on anyone in the scramble, but there was for sure great racing! You are da man in the grass track, very cool to watch. Did I mention I want a damper..hehe

It is a true shame that more folks weren't present to see Coop brake slide into a 90 degree turn then dump 2nd gear to WFO to the next wooded corner..it was magical to witness and be a part of.

Wade covered the bases above w/his write up, I had a great time at a great facility, look forward to visiting Cooperland this winter. Jason

KLX300Greg

Nov 17, 1999
Man, what a great weekend! Chris, Jason, Wade, Allen, Greg S., and Brett were great to hang out with, thanks guys.

BUT, the highlight of the weekend was that final loop with Guy Cooper on Saturday am. I'm still jazzed about that. Let me tell you, the pressure is on when you've got Coop waiting and watching at the top of the creek bank while the spodeliest of spodes comes spashing through! I probably chewed up the bank more than I should have, but the Husky didn't let me down!

It was cool chatting trailside with Cooper, he's definetly a trail-rider at heart :thumb:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Yeah, the pace defintely wicked up a bit-Jason and I are still talikng about how blurry the trees got on the last few loops. His roost was actually flying by me and pegging Jason. That 540 throws TRUCKloads of terra firma. I could handle hanging out with that madman for a few rides-I think...

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by CR Swade
I could handle hanging out with that madman for a few rides-I think...

:thumb:

I was sorry to have missed out on that - I think I would have had to borrow another bike to tag along on that one though ;)

Jason & Wade, let me know when we get closer to the White Rock thing! It was great seeing you guys again.

I figure if Bundy hadn't crashed into all those tree's in the preceeding days maybe we could have beat you fellas :)

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I figured that was how he so blazing fast, he just opened up the trail by taking out trees, although I've got to wonder aloud if a chainsaw might have been more effective... :p

The White Rock ride has been officially "thrown out there" for all to see in the "Rides" forum. We are shooting for an early December weekend ride-I'm counting on you and Aimee to make the trek. It's fun.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
It was nice seeing and riding with the KC crew again. I wish I wouldn't have worn myself out so bad, or taken that spill on the MX track. I didn't even feel like gearing up Saturday. I'm still kicking myself in the butt now that I didn't!!! I talked to Coop Sat. and he even asked my why I wasn't geared up! :| I'm going to have to be in better shape for next year, that's for sure. I followed (barely) Jason for two loops Friday afternoon and was completely shot! I didn't even have enough juice to tear up the grass track. I rode more in those 4 days than I have in the past 4 months...and I NEEDED IT!! :)

Congrats on the 1st place finish in the HS, Wade and Jason!! Whooohooo! :aj:

Top Bottom