Oct 30, 2000
a mate sold his 98cr500 but has limited funds for a replacement so he rekons he can only get 2nd hand.

he wants a wrf400 believing their better than a 426. ive ridden both a 426 and a 520 and feel that the 520 is a nicer bike overall.

we're trying to talk him into saving the extra (only a few $1000 between a coupla year old bike and a new one) and going a new 520.

the only thing that worrys me about the 520 is the 1.2l oil capacity (i remember 84/85 xr250s!).

any opinoins

weekendtoy

Jun 2, 2001
As far as power the 520 would be all that comes to mind for having comparable power to to 500 ring a ding.There are guys on the ThumperTalk board that say the CR500 does run off some on their 520's.

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
KTM 520 EXC/MXC is the bike for your buddy. 100mph top end and yet trailable in the tight stuff. In the 2 yrs that the RFS' have been out, I have yet to hear of any motor problems that werent owner inflicted. Yes, the require some maintainance, but they are a fine tuned racing bike.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
My buddies new 520 had the cam sprocket bolts fall out ala husaberg.
I guess the fruit doesn't fall to far from the tree.
The yamaha has a bit more interesting throttle response than the euro four strokes.
If your bro' wants the assault model try a 426...

ozmxracer

Jul 16, 2001
For what it's worth I had a couple of CR5's and I love that type of power. There have been new rules released in Australia this season and they make the open class 2strokes obsolete. So I went out and bought a 426 for this season,at first I thought that it was pretty slow and under powered (compared to the warmed CR5) but after awhile I was about 3-6sec a lap faster on a track that lasted 1:30 min.
My friend has a 520 and honestly it has a little more off the bottom doesn't compare up top of the rev range.I also have a mate that has a YZ400 and that seems to have a lot less power over the entire rpm range.
I hope this helps some?:D

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
You didn't say where you ride(track open dersert etc) If your blasting across deserts or open land, Don't forget about the XR650. For even more power pump it up with the HRC kit. Its heavy and big for trials and track but if you want to reach the top of a hill, its hard to beat. :cool: The KTM rules if you want the smaller bike feel with good power. Bummer about selling the cr500, I sold mine a few years ago and am still looking for its equal.

P. Pinestraw

Jun 28, 2001
Excuse me ...

! has everyone forgotten about the CRF450? I know the bike is untested & brand new, but c'mon (give me a break!) -- IT'S A HONDA!!!! Nuff said!!!!!!!

ozmxracer

Jul 16, 2001
Scar Tissue,I used the CR5 for racing grass track motocross (a bit like your scrambles I think?) and outdoor motocross. It was a hard bike to ride fast but when you got it right :confused: "woo hoo" you got it right.
Here's a picture of it just after a wash

clean cr.jpg

I still miss it, I do love Honda engineering and I may ride a 450RF next year?

My thoughts on the best CR5,
Aluminum frame/electronic pwr valve and case reed inducted engine/electronic fuel injection/ ohlins factory suspension + HRC engineer for a month. Yeh that would do me!!!

Top Bottom