Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Being new to YZ thumpers, I found that changing the plug takes about 15 minutes and the hands of a **** doctor. (I see a tach in my immediate future)

Are all YZF's that way, or is it becasue I have a 400 with a 426 jug on it?
Is there a special tool that helps? 

BTW....I love my 444.  :thumb:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Jay - They are all pretty much like that these days.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I was afraid of that.
Oh well, no biggie.

Now...where did I put my magnet stick? :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Jay - I built a simple tool out of a standard auto engine sparkplug boot and and aluminum shaft that makes the process much easier. I'll post a picture tonight so you can see what I'm talking about.

Did you buy Zoomer's old bike?

B

biglou

Jay-I use a 3/8" drive "wobble" extension. The end is not square, but sort of diamond shaped to let the socket swivel around. This works great. Start the plug using the extension and plug socket, then use a ratchet to snug it up. Reverse order on removal.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Rich, I did indeed purchase Zoomer's 444! It is a strong lil bugger too!

Sounds like a winner, Lou.
My first attemp went like this....

I first dropped a deep well 16mm onto the plug, then I dropped a short extension in and seated on the socket. At this point I used a baby set of channel locks to loosen the plug. Used a small screw driver to seperate the extension, then fished the socket out with the small screw driver.
I then used a small, long nosed set of needle nose to grab the plug post and fished it out. Reversed to install. I think I was about 15mins figuring it out and finally getting the plug replaced. I should have this down to about 4 mins once i find my daggone magnet!

It's all good!

Did I mention I love my 444?
BTW...Zoomer may kill me when he sees the bike next. I plan on modifying the color scheme just slightly.

:)

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Cant you get one of the swivelly sparkplug wrenches that come with the new bikes? It works great and once you get the hang of it you can have the 2 seat bolts, 4 tank/shround bolts off and into the plug in no time.

Calcaneus

~SPONSOR~
Sep 26, 2001
Pulling the plug is a pain! Fortunately it is rarely necessary. My 99 model still has the original plug in it. It usually starts on the first or second kick and it still rips! ;)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by Calcaneus
Pulling the plug is a pain! Fortunately it is rarely necessary. My 99 model still has the original plug in it. It usually starts on the first or second kick and it still rips! ;)
well, you just busted that run o' luck . . . :|

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
LOL Pred, but you know what? Your right! I said something about you dont need to carry spark plugs when you own a 4 stroke. Since then i have replaced mine 3 times but one of them was from stupidity. :)

Top Bottom