Thunder Alley CRF450 slip-on exhaust mini-review

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
This is the first of what hopefully will be a series of in-depth product tests using data acquistion equipment to test with some semblance of scientific method. I'm still in the process of getting all the bikes wired for sensors but I thought I would share the initial impressions from me and another CRF450 owner on a comparison between the Thunder Alley and the OEM Honda canister. This is a real world test where I bought the product with my own hard earned cash.

Thunder Alley pipes are designed and built in the US by Bob Murray. Bob is a well known and highly respected pipe builder in drag race circles. Anyone who knows me is aware that I think many dirt bike pipe builders are complete posers selling shiny crap that is usually marketed with dubious "dyno data". Bob Murray is a rare exception to that rule and I for one am thrilled that he has turned his efforts towards pipes for our bikes.

Unlike most current designs the Thunder Alley (TA) secondary pipe is a megaphone design leading into the silencer (see picture). I won't go into the specific pros and cons of megaphones at this point other than to say done correctly a megaphone design has the potential to produce excellent power characteristics at the expense of a pipe that is more difficult to produce.

Knowing how good Bob's work was in the drag race world I was to say the least curious as to how his design methodology would translate to the dirt bike world. I am really happy with the power characteristics of my stock CRF running Phillips B35 oxygenated race fuel and I had a hard time imagining any huge differences that could be found in a slip on exhaust canister. Eventually curiosity got the better of me and I placed a call to Thunder Alley. My first pleasant surprise was I got to talk to Bob Murray directly. It's nice to talk to the person who designs the parts you buy. My second surprise was Bob's willingness to discuss his products without being pushy about buying something. I've never talked to anyone who was so confident in his product's ability to sell itself. I explained to Bob how I wanted to do a real world test on a bike fitted with data acquisition equipment to get a better idea of how the pipe effects the fuel curve and to more accurately measure performance changes. I needed an oxygen sensor fitting welded to the pipe and Bob was nice enough to make up a very slick fitting for me no charge. Outstanding customer service right from the start.

Each of the TA pipes is hand made by Bob. The welding is a work of art and the fit is dead on perfect. The funny part is the TA canister fits better than the Honda OEM piece. I haven't weighed the TA pipe yet but my feel-o-meter says its a bit lighter than stock, but nothing major. The megaphone is made from mild steel with no paint, and the silencer section is aluminum. It has a cool works bike look to it.

I bolted the TA pipe up and noticed it was somewhat louder than stock, but it was quieter and had a much more pleasing tone than the White Bros R4 and the BBR pipes that OT and Okie run on there YZF250s. I felt the TA pipe had a proper race bike sound rather than the shrill bark that tends to come from most aftermarket four-stroke pipes. Far from a scientific observation just a preference on my part. I’ll be sound testing all these pipes versus the OEMs in the near future to quantify the real differences. .

Earlier in the season I had added two teeth to the rear sprocket in an effort to work around the somewhat flat low end on the CRF. It proved to be an excellent solution on our tight SX style practice track. I am in the process of readying my bike for a Motard race so I switched back to stock gearing.

My initial impression of the TA pipe was HOLY S what the hell happened to my bike. Even with the taller gearing it would pull cleanly from a much lower rpm, and would even pull a gear higher in a number of places. Clearing our big table top that has a short approach was easy from a roll-on where in the past it was iffy unless I had the engine revving high enough to get just the right drive. I did a bunch of laps and was thrilled, but the real test would be to cool the bike off and bolt the OEM pipe back on to test with. With the OEM pipe on it was back to lots of clutching and and lower gears. The difference reminded me of going from a stock YZF 400 to a high compression 420 engine. It's that dramatic.
After about 10 laps I couldn't get the OEM pipe off fast enough.

I'll admit I really wanted this pipe to work well. I have a soft spot for real craftsmen like Bob Murray who buck convention and build the right stuff rather than the shiny junk that is easy to sell. So just to make sure I wasn't overstating the positive points of the TA pipe I wanted another opinion. OT's buddy Eric showed up with his stone stock CRF450. Eric runs pump gas in his CRF and hasn't even touched the idle screw on his engine. He had never heard of Bob Murray or TA so he seemed like a good control for my mini-test. After he did a bunch of laps he came in to rest and I offered to bolt the TA pipe on and let him try it. Initially he was reluctant because he likes the way his CRF runs and he has enough experience from previous four-stroke ownership to have little faith in aftermarket exhausts. He relented and I bolted it up and didn’t change anything else. After a bunch of laps he came back in shaking his head and said “it’s like a different motorcycle”. He felt it totally transformed the low end and mid-range behavior of the bike, which echoed my feelings. Our track is tight enough that it’s difficult to really ring out the top end but neither of us felt it lacked top end drive with the TA. This will be tested more completely in the near future.

I didn’t change the jetting on either bike but I felt like my bike was a tad lean on the pilot circuit so I think there may be a bit more top be had down low. As I look at the jetting more critically I'll update this thread. Bob suggests that the main jet may need to bumped up a step richer on some bikes.

Basic test conditions:

Day 1 :
Corrected Density Altitude : 3990ft
Barometric pressure : 29.10
Temperature : 91f
Humidity : 54%

Day 2 :
Corrected Density Altitude : 3010ft
Barometric pressure : 29.20
Temperature : 80f
Humidity : 52%

Bike #1 - Phillips B35 oxygenated fuel (2.5% O2 by vol) , stock jetting with fuel screw at 2.5 turns out.
Bike #2 - No name pump gas, stock jetting with fuel screw at factory setting.

I’ll have a much more complete review with some super trick fuel curve, and acceleration data in the near future but hopefully this mini-review will answer a few questions for you.

Misc Likes:
- Allen head cap screws instead of pop rivets used to secure the exhaust can.
- Two minute installation so it's easy to switch back to OEM if need be.
- Like it or not megaphone exhausts sound SWEET :)

Misc Dislikes :
- Thunder Alley sticker on silencer is easy to tear up.
- No Thunder Alley sticker for my tool box.
- Now I want to spend $350 and buy a pipe for my YZF444 :(

BUY IT IF
You want tons of low end and mid range performance for a bargain price and you don’t need a big name on your pipe to impress your buddies.

FORGET IT IF
You need a shiny pipe from a big name company to sleep well at night and don’t care about how your bike performs.
You ride in an area where any increase in sound would be a problem.

8 words about this product
Wicked acceleration, trick looks, pleasing sound, real value.

Thunder Alley
1010 East Lacey Boulevard
Hanford, California 93230
(559) 584-8109

http://taliaferro.net/thunderalley/

HONDA - CRF450 megaphone/silencer only - $250.00 (plus shipping charges)
Option: U.S.F.S. approved spark arrestor $45.00

YAMAHA - YZ426F (head pipe and megaphone) - $350.00 (Plus shipping charges)
Option: U.S.F.S. approved spark arrestor add $45.00

Thunder Alley manufactures exhaust systems for most brands of motorcycles. Please call Bob Murray at (559) 584-8109 to discuss your specific needs.

Attachments

• ta_crf_1_550.jpg
    ta_crf_1_550.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 4,818

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Nice review Rich. Maybe I'll buy one, just to have a reason to spend money on a CRF. Is that a quad in the background?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Very intersting review, Rich.

(good eye yz! lol)

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
So this $250 was even better spent than the $250 you spent to get Gomer? :D Looks like a lawnmower attachment on that quad...which is all they're good for :)

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by MoO_coW
Looks like a lawnmower attachment on that quad...which is all they're good for :)

EXACTLY :)

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
nice review rich, but dang dude...ya gotta' spend some on a new rear tire..that'n so old it's got all the knobs worn off. :confused:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by sfc crash
ya gotta' spend some on a new rear tire..that'n so old it's got all the knobs worn off. :confused:

The new found monster torque musta spun them knobs clean off :scream:

Shawn Mc

Apr 8, 2002
Rich Ive had a thunder Alley pipe on my 426 for about 10 months now. People have been callin me a liar and a dumbass. Then I let them ride my bike.
I met Bob out at Elsinore and he let me Demo the pipe for nothing and put it on for me in about 5 minutes. I'll never forget what he told me. Just as I was riding off to test, he says"Now becareful your first couple of laps, I dont know if you'll like it or not, but its going to be different, really really different". That was the most understated thing Ive ever heard in my life. Kinda like setting off a nuke and saying its gonna be sorta loud!
I feel validated and vindicated reading your review. And by the way you guys thinking about the Thunder Alley's appearance, I had mine ceramic coated. Its beyond bitchen. It caught the eye of Doug Dubach at Saddleback one morning. You can also get a slip on for the later model Yamahas, that have a thought out headpipe, as opposed the stupidity that came on my 2000. And ya just gotta love that sound!

Rich did my post in the mod section prompt you to this? Im kinda wondering how you found out about Thunder Alley.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Shawn Mc
Rich did my post in the mod section prompt you to this? Im kinda wondering how you found out about Thunder Alley.

I've known about Bob Murray making pipes for a long time, I just wanted to wait till I had my data acquisition equipment before I purchased anything so I could test pipes properly.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
That's exactly why I want to measure the sound output properly. Making a subjective call on which pipe is louder is next to impossible.

Hopefully I'll have sound equipment for our next ride.

Shawn Mc

Apr 8, 2002
Rich, I have sort of an off topic question, but did you know Gordon Jennings? I used to wrench on a superstock flatbottom and know his son Gordie. Its too bad Gordon Sr. didnt live longer, if Im thinking of the same Gordon Jennings.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Rich, I know you don't ride a lot of woods, but could you give me an idea if the TA would be effective offroad for an expert. It sounds like it boosts the lowend considerably and comes on sooner, but is it a controllable feel? I'm considering a flywheel weight and the Thunder Alley to try and make the bike more luggable and smoother.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Smitty
Rich, I know you don't ride a lot of woods, but could you give me an idea if the TA would be effective offroad for an expert. It sounds like it boosts the lowend considerably and comes on sooner, but is it a controllable feel?

Initially I was quicker with the OEM pipe in poor traction situations, but once I adjusted my throttle hand and rode in higher gears I found the Thunder Alley pipe much easier to ride in the slippery stuff. I would imagine this would translate to an easier time in single track.

Originally posted by Shawn Mc
Rich, I have sort of an off topic question, but did you know Gordon Jennings?

I never got to meet Gordon Jennings in person but I was fortunate enough to have a few rather lengthy conversations with him on the phone. He was as interesting and funny in real life as he was in his writing. I can't even begin to explain how much of an influence his writing had on my rather odd little existence. I'll always be indebted to him for the sense of curiosity, experimentation and utter disdain for no nothing "experts" that his words instilled in me over the years. I for one miss him greatly.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by Okiewan
Smitty... did we move DW close enough to you to make it this year? :confused:
According to his posts in the Ride Reports, Smitty knows how to get there. :p

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Almost do you think someone could come pick me up and feed me breakfast each morning? That way I could sleep in my own bed and everything. Also it would really help if someone could help me wash my bike and gear. Just a couple things to ease the strain of riding so far from home.................................

Shawn Mc

Apr 8, 2002
If anyone cares, my Thunder Alley pipe made my 426 much more linear as far as the power band goes. Easier to ride basically. And after I had it powder coated, it made even more power accross the board. I had the headpipe and the reversecone along with the perforated core all coated. I am extremely happy with my pipe to say the least.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It's my understanding that Thunder Alley offers a ceramic coating option. I'm not sure on the pricing but I'll see what I can find out in the morning.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
dang-it..you guys! i think my bike $ and leahs patients are about up with my purchases. the thunder alley sounds like it's the real deal. oh well, i got an r4 system,complete ,from a tt brother for 250. i had to type that so i'll feel better about myself. :whiner:

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Well my previous bikes for sale and so is my old truck so I think it would be absurd for me to simply place all the profits from that in some stuffy old bank! I think it may just have to go to Bob for Thunder Alley and Steahly for a 9oz flywheel weight. Right? :)

huffa

Oct 24, 2001
You say don't buy it where increase sound could be a problem. Well, thats just about everywhere. Forget it if you don't care how well your bike performs. You really make it sound like every other after market is a waste of $ and it's not. I would think that "factory look" would take a little constant maintance fighting the rust. Some like that look. I don't. I'm sure that pipe out performs alot of them out their, I was just pointing out the negative things that you seemed to ignore. Plus I noticed some got them coated which backs my statement about the maintance free aspect of it and the looks. I have no idea what this cost but would think it would add at least 100 to 125 for coating it maybe more. Sorry if I sound so negative but thats the way I see it.

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by huffa
Some like that look. I don't.

If you want a shiny pipe then by all means purchase a shiny pipe.

huffa

Oct 24, 2001
I don't want any sort of pipe right now , I was just expressing my veiw point on it. Please don't take me wrong, I like the pipe too. If there was only a way to quiet it down some (for my personel use) and wish he had an option that you could order it with it being plated or coated for x amount of $$.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
On my 2smokes i always buy the non-plated pipe. When i have the bike running strong the pipe shows me the HP (heat) with some pretty colors! Good review Rich, thats a very trick looking pipe and sounds like it runs well too. :cool:

Top Bottom