Thunder Valley 56k warning C&C

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
I have a few pics I snapped at thunder valley with my rebel xt and 70-200 f4l lens.

All I have done so far is run them through noise ninja.

http://w3.uwyo.edu/~mkelly/IMG_3386.jpg
IMG_3405.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

IMG_3462.jpg

http://w3.uwyo.edu/~mkelly/IMG_3275.jpg

Let me know what you think and any suggestions for improving my shots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I've changed the first and last shots to links as they exceed the maximum width allowed for embedding them within the post, feel free to put them into image tags again if you can resize them to 800 pixels or less for max width.

As far as C& C, Shot 1 I like, I think you did a good job, the stake in the foreground is distracting but it is difficult to get any clean shots anymore it seems. Shot 2, is a good shot from my perspective. Shot 3, the background destroys the shot for me. Shot 4, is well done in my books. Shot 5, I might have tried a slightly tighter crop but there is nothing wrong with the shot as is.

Thanks for sharing them.

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
I agree 100% with what Chili has said. That stake in the first shot would take me about 10 seconds to get rid of in PS :nener:

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Nice shots! Was that the IS version of the lens?

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
Unfortunately when you have to stand behind the fence you get the markers in the way and my PS skills arent up to the task of removing the stake.

It is the non IS lens, I wanted to save some bucks and still get a nice lens.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
mkelly04 said:
Unfortunately when you have to stand behind the fence you get the markers in the way and my PS skills arent up to the task of removing the stake.

It is the non IS lens, I wanted to save some bucks and still get a nice lens.

I've thought about picking up that lens for the same reason. Looks like it's working well for you.

Hope you don't mind, I pulled the marker out, sharpened it a little bit and boosted contrast a little. It's a nice shot, either way!

Attachments

• Bubba.jpg
    Bubba.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 285

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
They look nice :cool:

But must ask, why Noise Ninja ?

what ISO are you using?

in most daytime situations, ISO 100, 200 perhaps 400 at the most.

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
Bspeed said:
They look nice :cool:

But must ask, why Noise Ninja ?

what ISO are you using?

in most daytime situations, ISO 100, 200 perhaps 400 at the most.

I was shooting at iso 800, that is the lowest I could go and keep low aperature and high shutter speed. There wasnt a lot of noise, but enough that I noticed it at full size.

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
hmmmm....it was daylight right ? :)
with an F4 lens, seems you should be able to do f4, ISo 200, and still have at least 1/250 shutter speed...which will work ok, could your metering be off ?
fwiw, I use center averaging (similiar to spot) metering. this is better imho, over matrix/whole area, since you want the subject metered and to heck with the background, lol.
Also I use Aperture mode.
just seeing if I can help ya get away from having to PP noise.

I can see where you will want higher iso, at the first turn and other shots, to use a f stop that will have a good dpeth of field/focus. your shot there is quite good, I always mess that up...forget to think about what's best!

Top Bottom