yzf996fxdwg

Jan 29, 2001
Does leaving your bike tied down on a trailer with the forks compressed for long periods of time (say a month) hurt your suspension?

------------------

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
It can cause the seals to leak as you are effectively pressurising the internals.

I favour leaving the bike on a center stand for extended periods of non use(i.e. overnight :)).

I've seen people use a block between the top of the front tire and the underside of the fender, s'pose that would work.

Never really understood why that much force needs to be exerted on the tie downs though, some people seem to use all their strength to pull the bike down as far as possible.
:confused:

------------------
98 CR125 01 CR250 99YZF R1

Thanks to: Motorex / D.I.D. / Vesrah / YES Helmets

JESSIRAD

Apr 11, 2001
I ordered a neat "Fork Saver" from chaparral last year, i dont use all my strength to tie down the bike, but the fork saver does make for a tighter more non slip hold... not to mention not having to worry about about leaky seals.

------------------
-JESSIRAD

MX Madman

Oct 7, 2000
zsr,if you haul 2 bikes in a truck at the same time,you need them tight.Hitting a big bump can compress the forks.The bikes lean in toward each other(never away from each other,strangely enough),then spring back tangling `n mangling cables,levers and such.

------------------
KTM250sx(mine)
BSA B50MX 500cc(mine)CR80expert(son) MX Madman

John K

Feb 22, 2000
I have a "seal saver" which is made by a company over here in Australia. It is a great product, alluminium and designed to fit and stay in place. However I installed an SRC forkbrace now the danged thing won't fit! Looks like my brother gets the benefits of it now!! Only problem I ever had with it was that I don't think I ever actually remembered to take it out before attempting to wheel the bike off the trailer!!

motopuffs

Mar 15, 2001
That fancy stuff is cool, but I prefer a chunk of 2x4 cut just so the forks compress a little bit (there is no need to struggle through making it so long that you have to lift up to get it in). Cheap and effective, and the wood is friendly on the parts that it touches.

------------------

dirtbikedad

Mar 24, 2001
I have seen some fancy wheel holders lately. They mount to the floor of a trailer and clamp in the front wheel of your bike. Ther are no tie-down straps on the forks with these. Does anyone know where I can find them?

------------------
Old guy who putts around on a '00 WR400F behind the KX_kid

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
DBD, I think you are referring to a product called "Bike Shoe" or something like that. Check Chaparrel's web page, they had them on clearance sale a couple of weeks ago. Many other suppliers also carry them though.

------------------
JTT
"Character is like a tree, and reputation is like it's shadow. The shadow is what we think of it, but the tree...the tree is the real thing."
Abe Lincoln

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
Watch out with the wood blocks. I've seen them slip out when they get wet driving in the rain. I just put moderate pressure on the forks and release the air pressure with the bleed screws for trips, and loosen the tiedows for overnight storage.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

------------------

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by yzf996fxdwg:
Does leaving your bike tied down on a trailer with the forks compressed for long periods of time (say a month) hurt your suspension?

a MONTH?? Why don't you just loosten them up until the nexttime you ride. Put them on a stand. YES a month tied down has GOT to sack out your front springs.

A MONTH?? Well if you want softer front springs it might help ;)

------------------

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
I wouldn't do a month. But regarding MikeT's post on the springs getting sacked out, I remember Jer saying that he compressed a fork spring with a long bolt for a year or more and it measured out to the same length when loosened.

------------------
Mion
OCCRA #19

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I would have been concerened with problems with the springs too, but I see that is not the case. As far as the seals leaking because of built up pressure, either loosen the straps, or let the air out of the fork. Matter of fact, for those that are real concerened about the seals being damaged by hauling, let the air out when you put them on the trailer and let it back in when you get to the riding area. Most forks are set to run with 0 pressure anyway, it shouldn't be any real trouble.

------------------

motopuffs

Mar 15, 2001
Trust me, juggling the air bleed screws twice for each trip is not needed. Use a block of wood. It doesn't fall out if you do it right, and if it falls out nothing bad happens anyway.

I agree on the spring comment, a good quality spring will not sack out this easily. What about the spings holding up your truck or car? They are partially compressed all of the time. Also I don't feel that there is any reason to put the bike on a stand when not in use. The pressure on the seals is minimal with only the bike's sprung weight.

What about the rear end pogoing up and down when you haul a bike...does this wear it out?

------------------

Top Bottom